My HT waiting for the perfect DIY screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-04-2012, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I put some pictures in here to make my newb post a little worth looking at. AVS is a great videophile forum that I just recently discovered after picking up my new projector.

Long story short - I want to increase my image size using a DIY screen behind my drop-down Da-lite. I've determined that I'll use a paint-on coating.

I've done quite a bit of general research to learn the basics and most options. Frame and substrate I can handle (hopefully). The perfect coating/surface for my specific space/equipment is what I am now working to solve. I've looked into MAXXMudd, Black Widow, Screen goo, and a couple basic latex paint tones. It is my hope that someone with experience can point me in the right direction so I only have to this once!

The pictures should give you a good idea of the space itself. Other info:

-Shooting for about 135"ish diagonal screen at 16:9
-Projector is a Mitsubishi HC4000 DLP
-Lighting is extremely dark (no windows, dimmable recessed lighting)
-Ceiling height is 8' to bottom of open joists
-Projector will be ceiling mounted (not on shelf you see in the pic)
-I hope to spend $300 or less
-I would like to roll on my coating while the screen is in place (I could spray if it yields a substantial quality increase.

Any expert guidance/suggestions is VERY much appreciated.
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-04-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
benzlo;

your biggest cost will be substrate itself... and it's very hard to find sintra beyond 5 x 10 to give you approx 122" diag.
which would get you approx 17fL with a 1.2 gain screen.
rarely can you find 6 x 10 which could get you the 135" and there you'd be looking at 14fL's.

you other options are your wall itself, poly aluminum laminate, or polycarbonate.... with the latter two likely to take up your entire 300 dollar budget.

so how good is your wall... how good are drywall skills?

in any case, regardless of the wall or substrate, i'd stick with rs-maxxmudd LL.
which, if you good with a roller... can be done quite well.
still, spraying is the preferred method of optimum results.

your chances of getting a featureless, non orange peel result... is increasing by spraying. 1080p and above depend on it (smooth finish)
post #3 of 5 Old 01-04-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply PB. I was kind of leaning that direction based on the gain it gives me. I think I'll need a little gain when I stretch out that image.

I was just doing some calcs and I will likely not get my 135" diag at 16:9 without a seam (as you mentioned). Fortunately my construction skills are fairly good and I think I can get there. I also debated using primed artists canvas over my seamed sheetrock in order to ensure uniformity.

I'm about a week out for buying my supplies so I'll spend that week finalizing my decisions and doing a bit more research.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-04-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
if you should go the canvas or blackout route...
then you want to skim the canvas using gesso, upw, or primer much like you would a drywall... except that i would use a large semi-flexible blade... like you use on a car.

basically you are filling in the holes in the weave and reducing the peaks and valleys.

i'd skim and sand a couple of times before spraying or rolling.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-05-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Priceless information.

Thank you PB.

My fear is that I put the time and money into this and end up with less than perfect results.

I will make that thing as close to perfectly flat and smooth as I can.

I'm also going to try to spray this thing rather than roll in order to ensure smoothness. Is there any specific type of sprayer or sprayer specs that people have been having good success with? I will check some past threads for that information as well, as it is probably buried somewhere in there.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page