High gain paint for large AT screen with Sony HW-30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-04-2012, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I've searched but could not find a clear answer on the high gain paint mixtures. I've seen recommendations that the S-I-L-V-E-R mixture has the highest gain. Is this the same as the Silver Fire 2.5?

I am looking at doing an AT Screen using the SMX material that I have on hand. Screen size is going to be 132in wide 2.35 screen. Room is completely light controlled so I don't need any ambiant light control.

Even though the Sony HW-30 is powerful, its not going to be enough for this large screen and especially if 3D is going to be used.

So I'm looking at improving the SMX and paining it with a high gain screen mix. According to MM in another thread the AT properties are not affected if care is taken in the spraying. I have on hand a large compressor and two paint guns that I have never used.

Projector is going to be ceiling mounted (soffit at the back of the room). Can I get 2.5 gain screen with the Silver fire 2.5?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 05:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by exipnos View Post

Hi all,

I've searched but could not find a clear answer on the high gain paint mixtures. I've seen recommendations that the S-I-L-V-E-R mixture has the highest gain. Is this the same as the Silver Fire 2.5?

I am looking at doing an AT Screen using the SMX material that I have on hand. Screen size is going to be 132in wide 2.35 screen. Room is completely light controlled so I don't need any ambiant light control.

Projector is going to be ceiling mounted (soffit at the back of the room). Can I get 2.5 gain screen with the Silver fire 2.5?

No. The SF 2.5 alludes to the use of 2.5 ounces of the Dark Gray Colorant, and that produces a screen that is considerably darker than a S-I-L-V-E-R.

I recently put together a very light Gray mix that has considerable gain, and that can be thinned just as much as S-I-L-V-E-R can be. But I'm doubting you can assemble it from local supplies in France. PM me and I'll send you the info needed to get it together, as well as specific spraying instructions.

Afterward, you come back on to this Thread and relate your results.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

To really know exactly what/how much gain you'll need, please relate which PJ you have/will have, and how far the Throw is.

I recently completed a 180" + diagonal 2.35:1 screen with the aforementioned mix and had gain to spare (...but not "despair") so I feel good about saying you have good things to look forward to.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #4 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

The projector will be the Sony VPL-HW30(A)ES. I'm mounting it in the soffit and the throw from front of lens to screen is 202".
post #5 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The projector will be the Sony VPL-HW30(A)ES. I'm mounting it in the soffit and the throw from front of lens to screen is 202".

Based on the stated Lumens (1300) and your desired screen size...combined withe the inherent light porosity of "any" fabric...perforated or woven, your going to need to go full bore with gain...especially with #D content viewing on the table.

I've been relating with PB-Maxx about recent developments in a proposed Mix that would seem to be well suited to your circumstances. I'll pass on the "Torch" to him as I'm just about to jet off to San Diego until next Thursday AM, where three DIY Screens are in the offing. One is a Light Fusion 98"er, and two are "THE BIG PICTURE"....both in excess of 180" diagonal.

So I'll be busy. But I'll keep an eye on the Postings and my PM box...be certain of that.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #6 of 17 Old 01-10-2012, 04:00 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Based on the stated Lumens (1300) and your desired screen size...combined withe the inherent light porosity of "any" fabric...perforated or woven, your going to need to go full bore with gain...especially with #D content viewing on the table.

I've been relating with PB-Maxx about recent developments in a proposed Mix that would seem to be well suited to your circumstances. I'll pass on the "Torch" to him as I'm just about to jet off to San Diego until next Thursday AM, where three DIY Screens are in the offing. One is a Light Fusion 98"er, and two are "THE BIG PICTURE"....both in excess of 180" diagonal.

So I'll be busy. But I'll keep an eye on the Postings and my PM box...be certain of that.

I may be interested in testing this new mix, especially if i find that my room set up does better with a gray spandex screen rather than a white/black combo. i am using the RS45 from mid-throw in a light colored room (treatments still TBD if any) and plan to do 2.35 via zoom method for now, so can use all the gain i can get while keeping some type of ambient light/reflected light performance.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-22-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Bump. PB-Maxx or MM. Any news about the recent developments for a proposed new mix?
post #8 of 17 Old 02-17-2012, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Another bump. Should I just go with S-I-L-V-E-R for my AT screen painting? My PJ is mounted in soffit and shooting down in order to fit screen. Would this work? Anything else I should consider?
post #9 of 17 Old 02-17-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Another bump. Should I just go with S-I-L-V-E-R for my AT screen painting? My PJ is mounted in soffit and shooting down in order to fit screen. Would this work? Anything else I should consider?

Sorry for the delay....I have been trying to locate the original SF v2.5 formula that contained the Liqutex Titanium White and increased Pearl content.

Got a message off the PB about it, so try to hang on just a bit longer.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #10 of 17 Old 02-29-2012, 10:00 AM

I'm also interested in this. Anything that would have higher gain than RS-MAXXMUDD Low Lumen would be worth squirtin' to me.

My JVC bulb has lost so many lumens after just 100 hours of use, anything grey without high reflectivity is out of the question
post #11 of 17 Old 02-29-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
that makes about 2.5 quarts... easily 10+ dusters on a 120in screen.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-01-2012, 08:22 AM

Would you reccomend this over the low lumen? I am about to respray this weekend and was a bit discouraged by the "just for grins" comment hahah, some of us dont have time to respray again and again just for grins if you know what I mean

Also you mentioned its a bit darker than the LL, was hoping to not get any darker unless the gain increase was immense or something, grey just isnt playing nice with my projector right now (image is too dim / not enough pop for my tastes, even at max aperature)
post #13 of 17 Old 03-01-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
vullcan,
ignore my just for grins comment... meaning... what i posted is probably not something for the masses...as the gain is considerable...and unlike LL, rollin' is out of the question... and because some if it's gain comes from the poly and a very careful duster application similiar to S-I-L-V-E-R... i wouldn't want a newbie jumping the gun... so to speak.

as for the greyness... you will not find it to be an issue at all for your lumen starved pj.

now if you think you'll have any problems with the application or fear of hotspotting for laying on too wet dusters... then make it 4oz of behr 1850 upw flat instead of the 2oz of liquitex basics titanium white. note doing so will ever so slight make your screen less grey... but also slightly lower it's gain as well.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-31-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

hi again,

Okay I've spent some time painting some test samples of various paint formulas. I tried a the higher gain version of the rs_maxxmudd and as well the regular rs_maxxmudd LL. The first one was to dark of a gray in my viewpoint and I found that I didn't like they way it effected the whites. I then tried the maxxmudd LL since its the lightest of the mixes. This one had quite a nice picture with some improvement in black level and only a small impact on the whites.

But I could not see an improvement in gain from any of those two paint formulas. I had no issues with hotspotting or anything like that. The picture looked darker then my background which is the white SMX. So how do I evaluate for gain? I should see a slightly brighter image right?

So in my quest for a whiter version I painted an rs_maxxmudd version without the silver and just the pearl. While the white level was improved it still did not have any additional gain what I could see.

I tried various mixes with additional pearl and some other lighter silver additives but could not see any gain improvement.

Am I doing anything wrong? My application is very even and done by HVLP compressor driven gun. I do 7-8 dusters until the screen is fully covered with the new paint.

Is there any paint formula for a high gain white screen?
post #15 of 17 Old 03-31-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Is there any paint formula for a high gain white screen?

Yes there are....

Or you can simply try the glidden diamond 450 white paint.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-31-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

Yes there are....

And what paint formula do you refer to? Tell us more......
post #17 of 17 Old 12-26-2012, 07:43 PM

Exipnos
Quote:
Originally Posted by exipnos View Post

And what paint formula do you refer to? Tell us more......

What did you end up doing? I'm planning to have either a panasonic 8000u or the Mitsubishi hc-7800D with a 140" AT screen and the trow distance is 17'
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page