Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-07-2012, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter
JP
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had a dedicated home theater for probably 10 years. Recently, I "upgraded" my projector from a Sanyo PLV-70 to an Epson 8350. I put "upgraded" in quotes because I went from what was once about a $6000 projector to a ~$1000 projector and the Epson astonishingly bests the Sanyo pretty dramatically. This is just how far projector technology has come, which I obviously couldn't be more thrilled about.

I've also had a 96" DIY 16:9 screen for some time as well. It has been so long, but I think I used the Parkland Plastic material for it. It does fine, but now that I've seen so much improvement from the projector I'm wondering how far DIY screens and paint may have come as well so I log on to this forum to take a look and I'm just overwhelmed by all the information. I'm trying to absorb it all and I enjoy reading about it, but I still feel very challenged to choose what might best so I thought I might just ask.

Have other Epson 8350 owners or people who have already heavily researched this information come to a consensus on what substrate and paint might be best? I realize every environment and certain people's requirements might be different, but my hope is most people are turning to what might be sort of a single no-brainer solution. Again, I think my scenario might be pretty typical. Any thought on what might be best to save me from the huge amounts of trial and error I might put myself through working through different scenarios?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

No.

Brett

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Brett

post #4 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
JP
AVS Special Member

I'd give my left arm to have BrettStah blocked from responding to my posts. :P
post #5 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Since I'm also in the process of researching DIY screens, I can tell you what I'm doing - using both left and right arms - since you are the one who got me into this whole HT racket, I am probably just regurgitating stuff you already know, so be prepared to have your time wasted:

The gist is this - start with the screen gain you need, then look for material/paint to achieve that gain.

I'm trying to figure out what sort of gain I need from my screen. Brightness is measured in fL (foot-Lambert, obviously created by some poor sap named Lambert who was afflicted with super pale feet). Reading various things about screens, there's a range that is considered "ideal" for fL - that seems to be 12 fL to 16 fL for a fully darkened room. Obviously with ambient light more brightness is going to be desired. And bulbs dim over time so being able to go brighter than the ideal means you'll be able to still be in the ideal range after said dimming occurs.

I'm using the calculator here: http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/ and that's one of the places I've seen that ideal fL range, FWIW.

After locking in on the projector model you have with that calculator, and then adjusting for the distance from the projector to the screen, you can then adjust the screen gain (very top of the calculator ABOVE the screen size slider control). Look at the left side of the calculator to see the fL for the various settings of the projector. Green means it's in that ideal range for a given brightness setting.

Once you know what screen gain you need to achieve your desired fL levels, then search for material that achieves that gain - at least that will help narrow your search down, hopefully!

GEAUX TIGERS! I'll be in the Dome tonight... I'll try to figure out what the fL is from the Jumbotrons.

Brett

post #6 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
JP
AVS Special Member

I certainly hope Les Miles' advice to his players is better than yours for DIY screens

I'll be watching the game, albeit on a screen I wish was better and could get some useful guidance from others who are experts (present company excluded) on this forum.

I'll be looking for you. Wear purple and gold so I'll know that's you.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

My post was a conniving plot to have the real DIY experts come out of the woodwork and answer your questions. Let's see if it works.

Brett

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page