DIY to replace Highpower - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-31-2012, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK here is the situation. I have a Dalite Highpower screen (2.8) in my theater. The screen is a 12' wide scope screen. My theater is 13.5'x 28'. Seating is at 12' on a riser and 17' on a second riser. There is a bar at the back of the room and the projector sits on top of it. The projector is an LG181 and I also have a FVX200 scope lens. The image I get is incredible and I would have been completely happy with it. The problem is I was pulling down the screen and a strap on one end broke. My screen fell to the floor in a wad and is damaged. During bright scenes there are spots that can't be removed. I need a new screen but got to thinking the screens only draw back is the need to be mounted close to head height. I would love to raise the projector up so people moving around and stretching wouldn't get in the way. Is there a coating that would be close to the Hi power material. I was wondering about the SILVER.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-31-2012, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The best you can get from paint, from my experience and what others have determined, is about 1.3, maybe 1.5. Since you have a low mounted projector with a HP screen, you are getting near full gain as a retro screen, so any painted screen is probably going to look a lot dimmer regardless of how you mount the projector. Even a ceiling mounted projector with an HP is still going to be around 1.5 to 1.8 gain for the audience, so still as bright as a painted screen. With a painted screen you might get better contrast and color, though.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-31-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 216
S-I-L-V-E-R CAN DO IT !!!

..... and do it right.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #4 of 12 Old 01-31-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

I read the silver thread and was wondering if it would work. Will it be comparable to the HI POWER?
post #5 of 12 Old 01-31-2012, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Again, you get almost 2.8, probably around 2.3 considering your arrangement, but still, ceiling mounted and Silver will be half as bright as what you are used to--just saying...But MM's right, you won't have to worry about hand raisers and p'rs standing up during the best parts.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-31-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambers1517 View Post

I read the silver thread and was wondering if it would work. Will it be comparable to the HI POWER?

In every respect except gross directional gain. As far as Black levels and color correctness, it's actually better by a stretched neck.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 12 Old 01-31-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

With a painted screen you might get better contrast and color, though.

Only if there's a light source from the same general direction as the pj.

Otherwise the retroreflectivity that gives HP its gain also better rejects ambient and re-reflected from getting to the screen, improving image contrast.

Noah
post #8 of 12 Old 02-01-2012, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the honest answers. I guess it will be another Highpower. After getting use to it anything else would be a disapointment.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-01-2012, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
several people have replaced their high powers and been even happier with their diy screen... in brightness, viewing cone, and contrast.

it is very much possible to do a diy high powered like high gain screen... the higher the gain though, the more it begins to take on some of the retro-reflective attributes of a hgih power as well.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-01-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Is brighter always going to look better? I mean my projector is bright. The improved brightness over my previous projector was a plus, then I went to a Hi Power screen and thought it was an improvement and last I bought a lens since I have a scope screen and once again liked the brightness improvement. No doubt my image is bright but it looks incredible. I wonder if dimming it with a different screen would seem to be a step back.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-01-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

it is very much possible to do a diy high powered like high gain screen... the higher the gain though, the more it begins to take on some of the retro-reflective attributes of a hgih power as well.

There's retroreflective IY screens (I don't usually visit this forum)?

If not and you're talking angular reflective, you're going to get hotspotting at higher gains.

Noah
post #12 of 12 Old 02-01-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambers1517 View Post

Is brighter always going to look better? I mean my projector is bright. The improved brightness over my previous projector was a plus, then I went to a Hi Power screen and thought it was an improvement and last I bought a lens since I have a scope screen and once again liked the brightness improvement. No doubt my image is bright but it looks incredible. I wonder if dimming it with a different screen would seem to be a step back.

It's easy enough to make a 1/2 size example using a 4' x 4' piece of Thrifty White Hardboard painted with the suggested Formula.

Or you could take PB's advice at it's word and "just do it".

The whole thing revolves around what Screen actually balances out the attributes of + gain against the well known negatives. If your situation allows for absolving the negative aspects of a High Power, and you simply want/demand a "Torch" of a Screen, well yes, the much more expensive Mfg Screens can offer you that. It would seem that with your comments about how much you do like the HP, it is perhaps a moot issue.

However....that isn't always the case. People can change their minds, or take a chance for the sheer pleasure of "what may come..." Especially if the "Chance" doesn't involve spending any large sums of cash. So if you want a blending of attributes, without losing much if any desirable traits or gaining undesirable ones, and get it all at 1/4 or less the cost, and most importantly...the satisfaction of having "Done It Yourself", then that should be your intent, and the purpose of your posts. This is...after all, "The DIY Screen Forum".

Everything else is simply "Tit-for-Tat" between advocates of the DIY / Mfg Screen camps, with nothing getting accomplished but speculation or dismissal. The entire reason for the DIY Screen Forum is to separate the two warring factions so that peace and prosperity can reign supreme amongst all who frequent these hallowed Forums on either side of the Screen Universe.

Amen

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page