Epson 8350 & Wilsonart Laminate - White or Grey? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-06-2012, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been reading everything I can on Laminate Screen solutions and seem to be headed towards the Wilsonart Designer White - but wanted to do a double check with the experts.

The room will be light controlled (basement - 2 small windows but can block out light if needed). Looking at something in the 5' x 9' size for the screen. Throw distance is roughly 14' or so.

Is the Designer White the optimal choice for my setup or should I be looking at one of the Greys? I haven't had the opportunity to try it out on anything yet as the wall is currently a sage green color. Definitely looking for a no fuss solution and was headed towards MDF and spraying one of the paint mixes - but sourcing anything in the 5' x 9' range for MDF has been tough...then I stumbled on the Laminate threads...sounds very promising.

Last question: I saw a few threads (and sample photos) of arc'd screen frames. Not sure I even need anything like that as the test pattern seems to be perfectly rectangular. Am I missing something though? Is this more for presenting a better viewing angle?

Thanks for any assistance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-07-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
A Laminate screen isn't all that "fuss free". It requires the construction of a good supportive frame, it's fragile, and with brighter PJs, the WA-DW hot spots.

The only Gray Laminate even worth considering, "Fashion Gray", also will hot spot,.

Your location will dictate which materials might best suit you, but be certain there are other choices, most more "Noob Friendly".

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #3 of 4 Old 02-07-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Building a frame shouldn't be an issue. I was just trying to avoid the paint aspect. Its been tough sourcing a large enough sheet of MDF anyways...so it's a somewhat subjective/relative assessment on my part ;-)

So given the specific projector I noted - where does the 8350 fall as far as being a "brighter" projector? I'm thought I read somewhere that you can a adjust the light output and/or there's an auto iris feature. Any feedback on how this particular projector would perform with the Laminate screen?

I didn't come across much in the way of negative feedback on this specific laminate. I'm sure there's a lot more to read but am hoping others with this same setup will be able to provide feedback.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-07-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Puulima;

the wa fashion grey is known to hotspot by all accounts... with projectors with far less light output than the 8350. if you read further, you see the solution by some was to use a topcoat of behr clear matte. problem is, do so also defocuses the image and results in loss of detail.

if it's mdf you are looking for... check out my menard's thread.
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page