LED Screen Lighting? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-09-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Anyone recently done LED lighting behind their screens?

If yes, can you provide a link to the build thread if it exist?

Just want to know what I need to buy and tips/suggestions for putting it together. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I recently did just that.

The problem I encountered after the fact was that with my screen material, the Seymour Screen Excellence EN4K, you can't make out the speakers. It just casts a glow and the entire screen lights up, which is pretty cool anyway. Depending on the screen material you select, you may have better luck, but at the expense of video quality, (e.g. perforated screens). The EN4K material is such a unique weave that you can't see through any holes when looking straight on. You can only see "through" it somewhat when you stand close to it and look "down" through it. I didn't realize this until I already installed the lights and the screen. Overall, the LEDs I got from barlighting.com are awesome, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for this type of application. Very bright and VERY easy to set up and get going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-17-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate View Post

I recently did just that.

The problem I encountered after the fact was that with my screen material, the Seymour Screen Excellence EN4K, you can't make out the speakers. It just casts a glow and the entire screen lights up, which is pretty cool anyway. Depending on the screen material you select, you may have better luck, but at the expense of video quality, (e.g. perforated screens). The EN4K material is such a unique weave that you can't see through any holes when looking straight on. You can only see "through" it somewhat when you stand close to it and look "down" through it. I didn't realize this until I already installed the lights and the screen. Overall, the LEDs I got from barlighting.com are awesome, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for this type of application. Very bright and VERY easy to set up and get going.

How do you feel those LED's from barlighting.com will hold up? I'm really interested in them, but don't want them to crap out after a year or so.

Thanks

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-17-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

How do you feel those LED's from barlighting.com will hold up? I'm really interested in them, but don't want them to crap out after a year or so.

Thanks

you can get some LED lighting from HomeDepot. very cheap too.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...-1&keyword=led rope lighting&storeId=10051

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...-1&keyword=led rope lighting&storeId=10051#reviews
post #5 of 10 Old 02-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

Thanks

The light strip is housed in a clear flat plastic tube-like thing. Both ends of the tubes have connectors to link them together. All the LEDs are oriented in the same direction. I have no qualms about them last a lifetime.

The Home Depot rope light is not the same thing, and wouldn't be used for the same applications IMO. That would be more for non-directional, ambient light. These strips are more for direct lighting, if that makes sense.

post #6 of 10 Old 02-20-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate View Post

The light strip is housed in a clear flat plastic tube-like thing. Both ends of the tubes have connectors to link them together. All the LEDs are oriented in the same direction. I have no qualms about them last a lifetime.

The Home Depot rope light is not the same thing, and wouldn't be used for the same applications IMO. That would be more for non-directional, ambient light. These strips are more for direct lighting, if that makes sense.

Thank you for your input. I agree that the home depot lights aren't really in the same boat as these. I think I might give them a whirl

------

post #7 of 10 Old 02-24-2012, 06:49 AM

Liked: 10
Another source I stumbled across recently:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...P-LIGHT/1.html
That one is 48" blue, but other lengths and colors are available. Note though that this source's supply is limited - stock comes and goes based on (I guess) what they can buy surplus.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-05-2012, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just finished building my screen and put some blue LED rope light behind it. I used blackout cloth so no light comes through the inside of the screen but only glows around the outside. It was very easy to do, and fairly cheap. I needed three 12 foot strands @ $15 a piece from Menards. I then picked up a wireless plugin/lightswtich for $18. Pretty cool and convenient to be able to just flip a switch and turn them on or off instead of having to re-wire your room, or getting up and plugging/unplugging them every time.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-10-2012, 05:13 AM

If you want to build your own LED lighting go here, http://www.superbrightleds.com/ . I lit the gargoyles sconces, raised platform, and equipement room with products from them.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-10-2012, 08:19 AM

I used some of these for something completely different but I can highly recommend them. I used the 600 LED cool white version but they would be way too bright and cold (blue/white) for home use. The 300 LED warm white would probably look nice. There are some videos of this kind of thing in action on youtube.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330775863278
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page