sintra thickness - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 63 Old 02-15-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 63
i used the Purdy White Dove 9 in. x 1/4 in. Fabric Roller Cover from homedepot. it's the most expensive roller cover i can find there.

i believe foam roller could create issues, such as bubbles, for those not very experienced with painting. i did wanted to use the HLVP but i had absolutely no experience with it and i don't think it's as easy to use as some might have thought. sure you can load, point it, and spray it but will your results come close to what MM or Maxx produce? i highly doubt it.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 Old 02-15-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Smokarz,

You should not doubt it, nor should you discount it without having bothered to try.

Honestly, it's usually more a case where the "Do'er" simply didn't want to bother with spraying, and/or spend even $50.00 for a HVLP. Not because of any uncertainty as to the potential for getting above average results. There simply have been too many "successes"...something easy enough to ascertain if one has really read any amount of posts by those who have actually gone there.

After all, all the posted results come from other people...not PB & I.

It's a shame you opted to haul up so short on both spraying and your paint selection. Still, one can look at it this way...you have a nice, smooth, -gain gray screen you can always improve on later. (...well, if your Rolling job is up to snuff...)

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #33 of 63 Old 02-15-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

MM, yes you are correct. I chose to take the easy road, because I am at the very least somewhat familiar with it and have tried it before. I do understand that rolling is not ideal and does not match the quality of a properly sprayed screen, but like you said if the results are subpar, I can always improve upon it. I'll wait till I get a chance to shoot some images on it and see how it comes out.

Also, I've seen some success stories posted, but I also wonder how many have failed at spraying and never posted. Certainly you will see more posts of successes, since people like to show stuffs that work and stayed quiet when it doesn't. Again, if you're confident that you can pick up a spray and have results like MM and PB then definitely go for it. But at the same time, guys like you do this for a living and spray everyday so if a DIYer comes up short, don't be surprise.
post #34 of 63 Old 02-15-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Sorry...but it just isn't like that at all. Anyone who has really followed DIY Screens for any length of time knows without a doubt that people who put their faith in something they are told to do, and who are instructed on how to do it, are gonna come back and either shout praises about their end results...or scream "FOUL" if they felt they were misled.

It's the nature of the DIY Beast. In fact...the opposite is true. Those who are really...REALLY happy often do not return because they are in fact satisfied and happy....and entrenched in front of their Screens.

Consider this...if any real number...say 5-6 or more in a "year" out of the hundreds of Members who make a honest effort, did/or had come back screaming "Foul", credibility for what we advocate and the methods we use would have gone out the window long ago. Nope...what's more likely to happen is that many of those who don't make more than a very basic effort always seem to try to justify their decision by discounting the need to bother.

The only people who actually do practice "screaming" do so simply to attempt to persuade others to go a different direction they advocate.

Simply put...they protest too much...and do so with both bias and sometimes with the obvious motive to draw away AVS DIY Screen Forum traffic.

We help people get things done around here...if they want to. If someone is willing to learn...we are willing to spend the time needed to "learn 'em". Always have...always will.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #35 of 63 Old 02-16-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Sorry...but it just isn't like that at all. Anyone who has really followed DIY Screens for any length of time knows without a doubt that people who put their faith in something they are told to do, and who are instructed on how to do it, are gonna come back and either shout praises about their end results...or scream "FOUL" if they felt they were misled.

It's the nature of the DIY Beast. In fact...the opposite is true. Those who are really...REALLY happy often do not return because they are in fact satisfied and happy....and entrenched in front of their Screens.

Consider this...if any real number...say 5-6 or more in a "year" out of the hundreds of Members who make a honest effort, did/or had come back screaming "Foul", credibility for what we advocate and the methods we use would have gone out the window long ago. Nope...what's more likely to happen is that many of those who don't make more than a very basic effort always seem to try to justify their decision by discounting the need to bother.

The only people who actually do practice "screaming" do so simply to attempt to persuade others to go a different direction they advocate.

Simply put...they protest too much...and do so with both bias and sometimes with the obvious motive to draw away AVS DIY Screen Forum traffic.

We help people get things done around here...if they want to. If someone is willing to learn...we are willing to spend the time needed to "learn 'em". Always have...always will.

with all due respect, i am one of a differing opinion.

unlike product review posts at retailers like amazon or monoprice, etc. where the most posts are by users that are not satisfied with a product or can't get a product to work.

this is a DIY where the DIYers share their works and results, and typically like to show off how amazing their systems or screens are.

and btw, i don't want to get into the AVS vs HTS debate, it's a topic for another discussion and denitely not appropriate here.

i think one can look at the facts, data, and measurements provided by both and should be able to make a very informed decision.

to the op, i apologize as this discussion is getting way off track. i'll stop there. thanks
post #36 of 63 Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
when, it comes to projection screens... and increased detail.. the less visible texture you can have... the better... especially with 1080p's.

if i were to give any advice... when it comes to rolling...
and i've said this so many times since joining avs...

please use at the very most... a quality 1/4" in nap... and preferably a 3/16" nap roller. my personal fav is PURDY's 3/16" nap roller.

use a standard nap roller. DO NOT use a mohair roller. and DO NOT use a foam roller.

mohair roller introduce texture and foam rollers introduce air bubbles.
post #37 of 63 Old 02-16-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

yup..i tried finding a 3/16 roller by neither homedepot nor my local sherwin williams have any.
post #38 of 63 Old 02-17-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

smokarz,

Caught your images elsewhere....

This is a nice looking screen...

You should use a "Nail Set" to drive the small heads of the nails of your trim just under the velvet.

And yes...you should make every attempt to center the PJ lens on the screen, as well as make sure the face of the lens is parallel to the wall's surface, and that the PJ is "plumb"...that is to say that it is level both front to back & side to side.

You really should paint your White trim above the Screen the same color as the Ceiling. Doing so across the Top of the Screen wall won't adversely affect the decor, but it will reign in the excessive reflection your getting from the Rope Lighting.

.and if you have some Black Velvet left over, (...and you should...) I'd suggest you make some "Doilies" to place on top those Subs

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #39 of 63 Old 02-17-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks for the pointers MM.

yes, i should have go to the hardware store and get a nail set, but it was a little late and my lazy ass just say finish the darn thing already.

yup, quite a few things i still need to do with the room and haven't got much free time. first thing on the list is repainting the trim. i thought about painting with same color as ceiling, but i wanted to try a different color so it stands out a bit.

what are "doilies"?
post #40 of 63 Old 02-17-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

thanks for the pointers MM.

yes, i should have go to the hardware store and get a nail set, but it was a little late and my lazy ass just say finish the darn thing already.

yup, quite a few things i still need to do with the room and haven't got much free time. first thing on the list is repainting the trim. i thought about painting with same color as ceiling, but i wanted to try a different color so it stands out a bit.

what are "doilies"?

Paint the Trim 3x-4x a darker shade of the ceiling Color. Basically, a Theater demands a reversal of normal decor. The Walls are a "lighter" Color than the Ceiling because the Ceiling presents a very large reflective surface. In some cases, even when a darker color is used for the Walls than what you have tried, the ceiling and Trim is still made to be considerably darker in shade.

But another biggie is this...if those Rope Lights are the "Incandescent" type...get a Dimmer for them.

A "Doilie" is a cover (...usually Lace...) that is used to decorate or protect another surface. People use them on Chair Arms, Coffee Tables...under Candles, anywhere a decorative Slip cover can protect the surface underneath. In your case, they are more "functional" than decorative, but if you make 'em up, you'll immediately notice a drastic difference when either a Image is being shown or the Rope Lights are on.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #41 of 63 Old 02-17-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks. sadly those rope light are Incandescent.

i went to home depot to look for LED but they have none. looks like i might need to bring it back and order some LED online. it's a bit too bright. dimmer will work, but i really should gotten LED.

i really like this Sintra stuff, glad you guys brought it to my attention.

I still have a piece of left over Sinatra, which I am going to attached to screen and try to get some comparison shots.
post #42 of 63 Old 02-17-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Don't say "Sadly"...because Incandescent Lights are the only ones you can dim, and they are substantially more expensive. The LED lights you linked to a poor examples, and the LEDs are spaced too far apart.

The real "Bomb" are "Light Strips"

BTW, Sintra accepts screws easily and with "NO" worries. It's a "Expanded Foam" material, not a rigid Plastic, so cracking and/or Chipping doesn't happen. The 6mm thickness even allows for a small amount of Countersinking.

Yessir, it helps to focus your attention and questions to where you can get specific answers...not generalities, and get 'em in a time frame conducive to moving ahead...not spinning wheels.

...just sayin'

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #43 of 63 Old 02-17-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

MM. thanks man, you've been very helpful.

what are these light strips you speak of? have links? i like to take a look at them.
post #44 of 63 Old 02-18-2012, 12:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=ut...ei=UTF-8&type=

Quote:

MM. thanks man, you've been very helpful.

what are these light strips you speak of? have links? i like to take a look at them.

http://www.ecolightled.com/category/...pe/?r=b_ribbon
http://www.ecolightled.com/product/r.../rgb_ribbon_nw

http://expresslighting.com/ledribbonlight.html
http://expresslighting.com/flriledst.html

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #45 of 63 Old 02-18-2012, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

nice, but expensive.
post #46 of 63 Old 02-18-2012, 07:34 PM

Liked: 11
Bought my light strips from amazon, I had to buy the transformer also....easy to cut and solder together w/speaker wire for any length

type in "led strip" on amazon search
post #47 of 63 Old 02-18-2012, 07:45 PM

Liked: 11
here is the link, I bought white for kitchen undercounter lights

http://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Flex...9622067&sr=8-7
post #48 of 63 Old 03-06-2012, 09:46 AM

Liked: 10
I finally got a piece of 6mm Sintra ordered today and going to pick it up on Friday. Do you think a 106"x60" will fit in the back of a Suburban. I know I can fit a 4x8 piece of plywood just fits lying flat, so I think I can angle it, and bend it slightly to fit.
post #49 of 63 Old 03-06-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolfebme View Post

I finally got a piece of 6mm Sintra ordered today and going to pick it up on Friday. Do you think a 106"x60" will fit in the back of a Suburban. I know I can fit a 4x8 piece of plywood just fits lying flat, so I think I can angle it, and bend it slightly to fit.

The Sintra will "cup" (bend length-ways) in a arc enough with no issues, but be sure the "best side" is facing up so no potential rubbing scars from loading-unloading spoil your day.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #50 of 63 Old 03-06-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:

It will flex or bow a bit side to side. You should be able to get it in without much hassle. just be sure not to bend it so much it creases. I doubt you will have to bend it that far, just a let flex/bow in the middle.
post #51 of 63 Old 04-06-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:

What did you pay for it? I got a quote yesterday for the same 60x120 board for $112.50. Going to ask how much to cut it down to 106 for a 120" screen. Seemed a bit high for me though compared to various postings ive seen
post #52 of 63 Old 04-06-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjamm View Post

What did you pay for it? I got a quote yesterday for the same 60x120 board for $112.50. Going to ask how much to cut it down to 106 for a 120" screen. Seemed a bit high for me though compared to various postings ive seen

If it was for the 6mm thickness, you got a good price. 3mm is usually about 1/2 as much, but along with the "thinness" and lower price comes additional installation considerations. 6mm is always to be preferred.

Many outlets will do at least 1 cut for free. If your going for a 122" screen, that would involve just having them cut the length down to 107".

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #53 of 63 Old 04-06-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjamm View Post

That's about right for retail.

However, if you could find a local distributor you can get it for much less.

I paid $45 for a 4 x 8 sheet (komatex, sintra maybe a few bucks more).
post #54 of 63 Old 04-06-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:

That's about right for retail.

However, if you could find a local distributor you can get it for much less.

I paid $45 for a 4 x 8 sheet (komatex, sintra maybe a few bucks more).

I've called Lairds, they want 140 + 25 per cut.

Local plastics was $112

Reece has a no name brand for $38 in 3mm special order

GSG Komatex 6mm white for 101 but out of stock

grimco has for 92.30 no name brand pvc for $92.

gvk wants 153.5 + 8 cut fee

Is there any difference in appearance/finish of the sintra vs no name brand pvc substrate? Alot of shops dont seem to carry the name brand
post #55 of 63 Old 04-06-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

wow...where do you live? looks like prices are quite high in your area.
post #56 of 63 Old 04-06-2012, 10:24 AM

Im in Dallas Texas area.

I thought it was kind of high too, however I just placed the order for $112 and had it cut to 60x106.

I figured there had to be some competition here to lower prices but I guess this stuff is not stocked many places, most had to place on order. Cheapest I could find was $103 and couldn't guarantee a delivery date on order, said it could be a week or up to 3 or 4... I went ahead and paid the extra $10 and will be picking it up this afternoon...
post #57 of 63 Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Those type of delays were/are due to such places bringing it in with other material shipments as a regularly scheduled "inventory lot shipment" instead of it being considered a special order. Lemmie tell ya sumpthin.....they was being mighty 'comma-datin' by doing that. It's getting harder to find Suppliers willing to do that for single piece orders.

So in the end, absolutely paying that small difference was a wise choice.

Well then...it's going on Midnight in Dallas. How'd that 'ol Round Up come along?

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #58 of 63 Old 10-16-2012, 07:20 AM

Hi All,

New member to the forum, but I've been following the discussions here for a couple years now and want to thank all of you for sharing your wisdom on the subject of projectors and screens--especially in the DIY context.

I've finally taken the plunge and picked up a piece of 6mm Sintra for a 120" screen. My plan was to hang it from the ceiling with cables, trying to achieve a look similar to the Black Diamond Zero Edge screen. When the Sintra was delivered it was a little more "wobbly" than I thought it was going to. My mistake for not asking here before making the purchase, but I'm sure I can still come up with some way of making it work.

The question is: Are there any good ways of reinforcing the sheet to keep any potential future warping from occurring, while still maintaining the sleek look of the 6mm edge? I was thinking about a frame (metal or wood) that would be mounted to the back of the screen about 6" away from the edge. But how would I attach a frame without drilling/nailing through the Sintra?

Also, for those of you interested in the cable and clamps, I found this company that looks just like (or is the same as) what comes as an option for the Zero Edge.

http://www.griplocksystems.com/displaysystems/detail.cfm?Top-Clamp-Gripper&id=266&cat=14&group=4
http://www.griplocksystems.com/displaysystems/detail.cfm?Cable-Coupler-with-Anchor-Plate&id=288&cat=12&group=4
http://www.griplocksystems.com/displaysystems/detail.cfm?3-64-Cable-with-87-Barrel-Terminal&id=652&cat=2&group=4

Thanks for any suggestions on the screen.

Brian
post #59 of 63 Old 10-16-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

BK ......

Let me officially welcome you to posting on the AVS forums, and specifically the DIY Screen Forum.

We can get you to where you want to be as far as obtaining a frameless image that also has sufficent support around the edged.

Sintra as a rule doesn't warp. But at 6mm it dorsn't accept hanging systems well.

Why must it "hang"? With a 1x 3 Poplar Frame and a couple of Hangman French Cleats you can hang that screen virtually flush on the wall and have only 6 to 8 small screw holes.

In any case...a 1x 3 frame will allow you to hang it...but you have to get it balanced and center weighted to have it do so.

So what sort of coating do you want to consider?

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #60 of 63 Old 10-16-2012, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. The hanging requirement is a long story, but the short version is I was out of the country while my home was being built and the home builder surprised me with a nice corner full of plumbing that had to be covered in my theater room. Of course it was on the wall that I was going to place my screen. Additionally, they moved the doors to the room down--also closer to the wall I planned to use--so that one of the doors swing open and block part of wall and/or limit front side speaker placement. A picture is worth a thousand.. so here is what I have (pics may not been to exact scale):

and what I'm thinking to make things "fit" a little better. Additionally, our couch is more round than the diagram shows, so it puts the screen in front of all seating positions a little more.

Plus, to be honest.. I kind of like the look of the hanging screen (i.e., http://i.ytimg.com/vi/kNpl0b5uzaI/0.jpg ) especially if I add some back lighting later on.

I'll duck for cover while I say this, but I wasn't planning on painting it. At least not yet. I have a completely light controlled room and am pretty happy with the picture.

Brian
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page