Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-13-2012, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 223
So OK.....,

Got a urgent request from my Youth Minister to re-do an existing "fixed" Da-Lite Matte-White Vinyl Screen.

The aforementioned was in terrible shape, with gouges, tears, stains, even melted areas. However the Frame was stout, owing to it being both the original Da-Snap Aluminum sheathed in additional "Outside Corner" Wood Trim (painted black) you can see in the image above.

So I ordered up a 100" x 144" sheet of White/White BOC and proceeded to wrap the original frame. I used the following "Pull Guide".....

Now myself, fearing the potential for wrinkles or folds across such a large surface, I started right out from the starting (no#2) pull location pulling PDS (pretty damn snug) and after all the pulling was done...this was the end result.....a "Drum-Head Tight" surface.

You will note how much area I have masked with plastic, including a large area of the Gymnasium Floor.

So now...comes the big squirt. (...no reference to the guy spraying...thankyouverymuch...)

One thing I did not opt to do was to "Roll-Prime" the vinyl side of the BOC before starting out with the Silver Fire v2.5 5.0 I knew I would get "the Fuzzies""...but what I did not know was how much variation in actual texture the White Vinyl BOC has. In my case, the upper & lower left hand corners has a noticeably rougher surface texture to start out with, resulting a a very "sand=papery" look and feel.

So I reasoned that after about three coats, I could sand down the surface to a smoother state.

Also....I used a 20" Box Fan (...w/blades cleaned up...) to help accelerate the drying times. The Gym was obviously a big space, and even with the Thermostats turned up to 78 degrees, the best that could be achieved was 68 degrees.

next coat........

So far...so good...., The paint was applying very consistently, and although I could clearly see & feel the rough texture, I was confident it could be smoothed out by sanding.

another coat.....complete with a rare stumble. (...it "was" 2 am though...)

This next movie is the 4th coat after my first attempt at sanding.

After it dried (2 hour)s, a 5th coat was applied, left to dry for 3 hours, then sanded pretty aggressively to remove the remaining texture. The next coat was applied at 7 am last Sunday, and a 7th and final coat at 9 am.

I was applying all coats at a reasonably fast pace...at a almost "Duster-like" speed of 2 ft per second.

I wound up with this:

Pretty much satisfied with my first attempt at spraying onto BOC after years of passing on such. Yes...I've sprayed onto Mfg Screens whose Vinyl surfaces has slight texture, and onto Acoustically Transparent screens as well, but plain -ole' BOC? No...because I loath the requirement of having to make (...or suggest be made...) a supporting frame for such materials as BOC or WA-DW. In this case, the Frame was already provided...so where's the Beef...right?

OK...so here comes the "Agony".

While the Screen was being placed against the Wall where it was to be raised up 10' off the Floor, there was a Scaffold in the way. I was "NOT" present. So the Youth Minister made an attempt to move the Scaffold out of the way...himself...a Scaffold on wheels with 4 tiers of "Jacks" (24' total).

It moved a bit further more quickly than expected, and came into contact with the pristine painted surface of the Screen..........

So how/when do I find out about it? Why, when my Wife & I attend the Valentine Banquet this last Saturday Eve. There I am, sitting at the Table with my Minister, his Wife, the Youth Minister and his Wife, and out best Friends (Hub & Wife) and I seem to notice a "mark" on the screen.

So I ask the YM about it and he looks like I stabbed him through the heart. I cringed as I listened to his woebegone tale, and then related the tale to my Wife. She gasped so loud that the Minister & his Wife get startled and asked "What's the matter!! ??" She says with a quick smile..."Oh...Nothing". Nothing indeed.

Me? Well I don't want to go "Mississippi" on 'em and get excommunicated or nuthin', so I discreetly get up and nonchalantly wander up to the front and....

...........Lo and Behold, we have penetration. Rip-page actually.

Normal processing:

Distressingly Enhanced:

The larger "Rip" is just over 4" long.

I could have died. I could have yelled....done "The War Dance" too. It was actually expected of me considering they knew I spend the hours between 8 pm Sat and 9 am Sun....all night, sleeping on a Couch in a store room between coats. But............this situation called for restraint. Some inwardly effort to reach down deep and say, "Oh forget it it...I can fix that...Don't worry."

So I did say exactly that...and everyone couldn't get over that. The YM wiped the sweat from his Brow, I received more than a few compliments for being so understanding........

....then I excused myself and went outside to throw up.

OK...now I have them all expecting a "Miracle from MississippiMan".

And I cannot let'em down. So now this Thread becomes a object lesson in recouping both sanity and a usable surface.

My Plan.

I will today take some Adhesive backed Gaffer's Tape, and apply it to the back side of the rips.

I'll then remove any flaked up paint around the perimeter, sand the edges ever so lightly, then ladle on some thick Artist Gesso into the depressions. Sand 'em down...apply a bit of primer, sand again, then using a Prevail Bottle Sprayer and some of the 10 oz of remaining SF 5.0, resurrect that Corpse of a BOC Screen.

Stay tuned for the documentation. It may not wind up being "The Greatest Story Ever Told", but it just might go down as being one of the most unexpected revivals ever on DIY Screens.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-13-2012, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well if you weren't already going to straight to heaven for helping the masses here, you sure are now!! That is heartbreaking though. Let us know how it all turns out.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-14-2012, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

So at this point things are looking much better.

First, I patched the "tears" from the rear using pieces of Black Out Cloth and spray adhesive.

Then instead of the aforementioned Artist's Gesso, by using what is called "Artist's Lightweight Molding Gel", a material that allows an Artist to mix Color with a firm but "sculpt-able", flexible acrylic to create ridges and peaks while painting, I have successfully filled in the ripped, depressed areas. I'm allowing it to dry overnight, and this AM early I'll be back to lightly sand and then repaint.

I did in fact mix some Silver Fire into the Matte White Gel, so the "Patches" are already about +50% of the way toward color parity with the surrounding screen.

I'll be sure to take a few images of the repair before painting. I was rushed to get done last night because of an impending "Rumba" class, and I'll tell ya sumpthin'..... I didn't want to be there when that "action" started.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #4 of 12 Old 02-14-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Wow.

Not only is it my 33rd Wedding Anniversary today on Valentine's Day, I got to get up close and personal with a certain particular Lady Screen who had quite a skin problem.

But after dispensin' a little bit of gooey Love and tender Squirtin', she's startin' to look "mo Bedder than ever!

Here's the "Repair" shots.....screen has been turned upside down for easy access.

Close-in shot of repair

1st Coat applied with Prevail Mini-sprayer

2nd Coat and Gee....it doesn't look to need anymore.

Something to be learned here:

Never say Die....Never Surrender.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 12 Old 02-14-2012, 05:23 PM

Liked: 11
So if a frame is a given, is BOC a reasonable alternative to sintra for SF paint?
post #6 of 12 Old 02-14-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheflin83 View Post

So if a frame is a given, is BOC a reasonable alternative to sintra for SF paint?

Yes, to the extent that the size screen desired exceeds that of what is possible coming from a 5' x 10" sheet of Sintra.

Otherwise, frame or no frame, Sintra is a superior surface.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 12 Old 02-15-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
So they call you “The Big Squirt” now.

I’m dismayed such a perfect opportunity for a 10 or 12 foot wide roll of canvas to be tried. I remember back to the hard blow my screen took about a year after I had it up and the deep dent that resulted. I’m pretty sure BOC would have been punctured about the same as what you have shown. The canvas being much stronger just took a deep dent but the fibers never were broken. Like you I was heartbroken and figured I was doomed to starting with a fresh cloth and repaint. I thought to try water to the back side of the raw canvas and as canvas likes to do it shrunk and pulled the dent totally out. Like the 58 Plymouth Fury named Christine the dent amazingly was gone and more amazing the latex paint after fully curing stretched with the dent and returned flat. Several people that were at the party when the dent happened and saw me sink while inspecting it later saw it flat and couldn’t believe it healed itself.

Nice to see a big 4:3 again. And nice to see you do a painted fabric screen even if it is BOC. Nice job on that repair also.

No action shots of a movie?

Bud

post #8 of 12 Old 02-15-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post

So they call you “The Big Squirt” now.

Smile when ya say that, Pardner.....

Quote:

Nice to see a big 4:3 again. And nice to see you do a painted fabric screen even if it is BOC. Nice job on that repair also.

No action shots of a movie?

Thank you for the compliments.

I hope to throw up a couple images today, as I'm going by to install a few Vertical Braces. (...seems I stretched the BOC tight enough over the Dual Frames to create some slight inward bowing along the Top/Bottom edges...)...as well as install a French Cleat to hang the Screen high up onto the wall.

Gotta be careful of the selected content though.....as seeing that its in my Church, I'm sure "Someone" will be watching.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #9 of 12 Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Big Squirt

Additional vertical braces ???? Just let the self-tensioning springs tighten it up over time. Or you could adjust the preload screws if you are in a hurry. Oh sorry I just had to throw that in. Sure is nice though to be watching a movie eating popcorn and seeing the screen tighten itself.

Any clips from “Passion of the Christ” should pass approval.

On edit:

PS make sure that French cleat is a good deep one that can take a good wack from a basketball and stay put.

On edit , edit:

PSS: What was I thinking the perfect movie clip would be from “The Agony and the Ecstasy” Please pretty please some Charlton Heston for us.

Bud

post #10 of 12 Old 02-15-2012, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post

Please pretty please some Charlton Heston for us.

OK...

"Get your stinking paws off me you Damn dirty Ape!"

Post Edit:

Well awl-writety then....,

The Screen is up......

I went back and installed some vertical bracing, and a self-made French Cleat. The latter consisted of a 1" x 6" x 8' piece of Select Whiteboard Pine, ripped down the center at 45 degrees.

After installing the opposite "Twin French Cleat" piece away up on the wall at 18', we lifted the Screen up and placed it onto the French Cleat.

(...note the tall Scaffolding on the left up on the Stage...)

How about this for a currrazy temporary Projector Mount ?

The new PJ that will go onto the Drop Pole seen up at center in the second image is coming on Friday. A Panny VX400 (4000 Lumens - 2000:1 CR )

THEN I'll get to take some real images!

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #11 of 12 Old 02-16-2012, 10:52 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

The Screen is up......

I went back and installed some vertical bracing, and a self-made French Cleat. The latter consisted of a 1" x 6" x 8' piece of Select Whiteboard Pine, ripped down the center at 45 degrees.

After installing the opposite "Twin French Cleat" piece away up on the wall at 18', we lifted the Screen up and placed it onto the French Cleat.

Did you see a bright light beam and hear angels signing when you placed it there??
post #12 of 12 Old 02-16-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

The Screen is up......

(...note the tall Scaffolding on the left up on the Stage...)[/u][/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngraz View Post

Did you see a bright light beam and hear angels signing when you placed it there??

No...but I did have a healthy fear of a premature arrival before "De Judge" when I was a'leanin' out into the space between the scaffold Crossbars and the Wall which was 3' away...all while holding a 50 lb Screen at arm's length.

After it was up, and they turned on a little 2400 lumen Acer, I did hear a few "Awesome!"s and "You can't even see the Repair!"...which was certainly gratifying and more in keeping with the occasion than a Eulogy.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page