Confused of a paint formula - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-22-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased an Optoma GT750E short throw projector for my basement home theater.

Since its a finished drywall basement (previous owner) and being on a tight budget, i could only go 6 ft from the wall and with this projector achieve a 119" diagonal display which is prefect for my wall leaving enough space for in wall speakers on either side

The room is very bright (2 5 ft x 3 ft windows)

I'm confused if I can get a cheap screen (budget ~$150) or paint the wall
Since this projector is 3D capable (720p), the screen should handle 3D

Appreciate any input you can provide to help guide me in the right direction

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-22-2012, 03:14 PM

The cheapest I know of for you to go is paint the wall.

Depending on what you want.

Behr SS can be done for $20 on the wall with no screen.

But the good stuff Silver fire will cost you about $80 in paint, and then the tools needed to mix and spay on the wall.

I recommend Silver Fire for you application though with all that light, I don't think anything else will work.

Wait for PB to chime in... he is the screen god here.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-22-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthejoker20 View Post

Wait for PB to chime in... he is the screen god here.

Really?

(....Rumbling, Thunderous Booming and Flashing Bolts of Lightning emanating from The Bottoms.....)

Then what becomes of all "The Children of Lessor Gods"?

BigB has a Optoma GT750e, a 3000 Lumen DLP w/no Zoom and a 7.8" Image Offset. With a 6' Throw...and 8' ceilings...he should/will be mounting the PJ on the Ceiling using a 2" Drop. That will place the Top of his Screen at 12" down from the ceiling, and the Bottom edge of the screen at 22" off the Floor.

Given the use of RS-MaxxMudd Regular (1.2 gain) and a sprayer, he'll spend about $150.00 or so...including Trim, but he'd get a Screen worth many, many times that of a $150.00 in quality and performance. The RS-maxxMudd will offer enough ambient light performance that when combined with 3000 lumens and 3000:1 DLP Contrast, (41 fls), only wide open windows with Sunbeams directed onto the screen will hamper his joyful endeavors.

But...guess what. Once this particular someone sees the difference that exercising even a modicum of light control can do for image quality, I'd bet he'd at least pull the shades halfway closed.

Silver Fire v2.55 3.0 would indeed be an even more superior choice if watching movies or TV in "HIGH" ambient light is just gonna happen no matter what. 3D would be best served up in a light controlled situation,

Lastly....even with the Windows in Play, if the OP/TS can choose to paint the Walls a dark shade of something in a Flat sheen, and the ceiling (...at least above the Screen...) the same shade only 3x datker, all those foot lamberts bouncing off the screen won't tend to bounce off those walls and the ceiling and come back onto the screen surface to haunt his "dreams".

I's strongly suggest that the items I have mentioned be taken into serious contemplation, examined for their worthiness, and abject devotion made toward following those aforementioned dictates.

Otherwise........start prayin'

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #4 of 8 Old 02-22-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
dieties and demigods aside...

the screen god has arrived.

yeah. what he said above.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-25-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the input.. I do plan on getting curtains or replacing the windows over time with built in shades and adding curtains in the front

Not good with a spray gun, but will look at both the paint formulas and see what I can handle easily

The ceiling is flat white and the walls are a light shade of lavender (don't ask - I'm outnumbered in the color selection ). I will paint the projection wall a dark shade of purple (flat) to match the accent walls in the basement

Will try and convince the powers be if we can repaint the ceiling to match the projection wall...
post #6 of 8 Old 02-25-2012, 04:15 PM

Your both the screen gods.

post #7 of 8 Old 02-25-2012, 04:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthejoker20 View Post

Your both the screen gods.

Yes they are both gods, but as you can see below, this man is dealing with a higher authority...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post

"don't ask - I'm outnumbered in the color selection"
"Will try and convince the powers be if we can repaint the ceiling to match the projection wall..."

post #8 of 8 Old 02-25-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Talk about a'livin' on a hope and a "prayer".

Actually, going with a 2x darker shade of Lavender on the walls, and doing a 5x darker shade of Lavender on the Ceiling & Trim might be a suitable tithe to which to assuage any potential divine retribution by Her Holiness.

No Foolin'......if one just follows the mandate that the Walls are of a Flat sheen of something cool or earthy, and using that choice for Ceilings and Trim, only several times darker, that is a well known and generally well received option...especially if the Deity-in-Charge is involved with...or makes the decision as to Color.

"Ask and ye shall receive.."
Book of Salaciousness: Chap. 1 Verse 1

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page