recomended screen form sony vpl-vw70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-05-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
deathinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have sony vpl-vw70 projector. I want to make a 105'-110" screen. projector will be shooting about 13' away. I want the best picture possible. I would prefer if I could use it with ambient light.

Av123 Onix Rockets RS1000 , AV123 RSC200 BIGFOOT, B&W WM6 White, Denon AVR-4311CI 9.2
DIY Stereo Integrity SI 18" Subwoofer X2, HTPC Running XBMC 14TB , Roku HD Player
Sony VPL-VW70 Pojector, Xbox 360 250GB, Yamaha RX-V573
deathinc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 03-06-2012, 03:36 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 200
You can make that size screen easily enough, but because the Sony has such a dearth of Lumens (800 w/new Bulb), any real Contrast enhancement will be had primarily during dark room conditions. Yes, ambient light performance will be improved over any "White" screen, but controlled and purposefully directed lighting will still be required for best results.

The Sony would be best served with RS-MaxxMudd LL

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is online now  
post #3 of 8 Old 03-07-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
deathinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
do you recomend the SILVER fire screen? If so what version?

Av123 Onix Rockets RS1000 , AV123 RSC200 BIGFOOT, B&W WM6 White, Denon AVR-4311CI 9.2
DIY Stereo Integrity SI 18" Subwoofer X2, HTPC Running XBMC 14TB , Roku HD Player
Sony VPL-VW70 Pojector, Xbox 360 250GB, Yamaha RX-V573
deathinc is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 03-07-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathinc View Post

do you recomend the SILVER fire screen? If so what version?


No, as previously stated, RS-MaxxMudd LL (Low Lumen)

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is online now  
post #5 of 8 Old 03-07-2012, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
deathinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

No, as previously stated, RS-MaxxMudd LL (Low Lumen)

Sorry for my ignorance but why the RS-MaxxMudd LL ? I see that there is two more versions , RS-MaxxMudd v.2.1 and RS-MaxxMudd Retro v.2.1. The sony is a very low lumen projector wouldn't it be better to go with the high contrast screen?

Av123 Onix Rockets RS1000 , AV123 RSC200 BIGFOOT, B&W WM6 White, Denon AVR-4311CI 9.2
DIY Stereo Integrity SI 18" Subwoofer X2, HTPC Running XBMC 14TB , Roku HD Player
Sony VPL-VW70 Pojector, Xbox 360 250GB, Yamaha RX-V573
deathinc is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 03-08-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathinc View Post

Sorry for my ignorance but why the RS-MaxxMudd LL ? I see that there is two more versions , RS-MaxxMudd v.2.1 and RS-MaxxMudd Retro v.2.1. The sony is a very low lumen projector wouldn't it be better to go with the high contrast screen?

While having a high contrast surface is almost always a plus, such surfaces do tend to attenuate light reflection. If you start out with low lumens, then that will mean even less reflection.

The "LL" is designed for low lumen output PJs. It contains enough contrast enhancement additives to help boost performance, but maintains a high gain factor of 1.4. This then also allows one to use Low Lamp, a setting at which that Sony units deliver their best contrast at.

Now yeah...the v2.1 / v2.5 Silver Fire apps do have significant gain while being pretty deep shades of Gray ( N 6.0 - 7.0) but even with that, they were developed with the latest 1600 lumen + PJs in mind. RS-MaxxMudd has always been about maximizing the lumens at hand.

When I come across and am dealing with a SXRD or LyCos PJ that has good native contrast without employing the Iris feature, I like to keep lumens at levels that don't work against the PJ's contrast efforts. Also, what with the smoother image such SXRDs and LyCos PJs are capable of, the potential for "graininess" that comes with needing auspicious amounts of reflective material in such darker paints often worries me just enough that I always consider the next step beforehand..

I'm usually just worrying for no reason...but when I think I have no worries, then along comes a Eagle Eyed person who can spot a freckle on a Fly's leg.
Everything else can be outstanding...but should there be a hint of graininess in a bright blue sky, as viewed from any reasonable distance, than Crap....nothing else seems to matter.

We keep working on ways to maintain gain without introducing such "speck-ularity"...and we are lickin' the issue more and more. But when gain is needed...and lumens are in short supply, the known values of such mixes like RS-MaxxMudd LL always deliver as promised.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is online now  
post #7 of 8 Old 03-08-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
deathinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

While having a high contrast surface is almost always a plus, such surfaces do tend to attenuate light reflection. If you start out with low lumens, then that will mean even less reflection.

The "LL" is designed for low lumen output PJs. It contains enough contrast enhancement additives to help boost performance, but maintains a high gain factor of 1.4. This then also allows one to use Low Lamp, a setting at which that Sony units deliver their best contrast at.

Now yeah...the v2.1 / v2.5 Silver Fire apps do have significant gain while being pretty deep shades of Gray ( N 6.0 - 7.0) but even with that, they were developed with the latest 1600 lumen + PJs in mind. RS-MaxxMudd has always been about maximizing the lumens at hand.

When I come across and am dealing with a SXRD or LyCos PJ that has good native contrast without employing the Iris feature, I like to keep lumens at levels that don't work against the PJ's contrast efforts. Also, what with the smoother image such SXRDs and LyCos PJs are capable of, the potential for "graininess" that comes with needing auspicious amounts of reflective material in such darker paints often worries me just enough that I always consider the next step beforehand..

I'm usually just worrying for no reason...but when I think I have no worries, then along comes a Eagle Eyed person who can spot a freckle on a Fly's leg.
Everything else can be outstanding...but should there be a hint of graininess in a bright blue sky, as viewed from any reasonable distance, than Crap....nothing else seems to matter.

We keep working on ways to maintain gain without introducing such "speck-ularity"...and we are lickin' the issue more and more. But when gain is needed...and lumens are in short supply, the known values of such mixes like RS-MaxxMudd LL always deliver as promised.

can this be rolled on? or does it have to be sprayed?

Av123 Onix Rockets RS1000 , AV123 RSC200 BIGFOOT, B&W WM6 White, Denon AVR-4311CI 9.2
DIY Stereo Integrity SI 18" Subwoofer X2, HTPC Running XBMC 14TB , Roku HD Player
Sony VPL-VW70 Pojector, Xbox 360 250GB, Yamaha RX-V573
deathinc is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 03-09-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathinc View Post

can this be rolled on? or does it have to be sprayed?

RS-MM LL is "roll-able", but spraying will always elicit the best possible results.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is online now  
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off