Time is running out! (...for getting a "No Name" HVLP...not the Dec.21 2012 EOTW - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 03-06-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Just off the Phone with Gleem paints.

After having acquired 400 "No Name" HVLPs, Gleem is down to having just 40 units left (I just ordered my 4th)

The Rep also related that Spray Tanning Salons have been snatching them up, and that a pending Bid/order for 30 of the remaining 40 HV2900s is on his books!

So.....if you even considering spraying a screen, or simply just are looking for an excellent value in a good electric HVLP, then ya all better hustle over to:

http://www.gleempaint.com/noname.html

..and snatch one up PDQ!

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 03-08-2012, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Glad I've already gotten mine. Very happy with it.

BTW - once these sell out, another option would be Lowe's who carries a "very similar" item as well new, though for over twice the price.
post #3 of 29 Old 03-09-2012, 08:41 AM

Do you have a paint "recipe" for spray on tanning? My WAF would be great with that in hand!!!!

Maybe a recipe that I can vary the amount of tint based on the desired T(an) scale (instead of N)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Just off the Phone with Gleem paints.

After having acquired 400 "No Name" HVLPs, Gleem is down to having just 40 units left (I just ordered my 4th)

The Rep also related that Spray Tanning Salons have been snatching them up, and that a pending Bid/order for 30 of the remaining 40 HV2900s is on his books!

So.....if you even considering spraying a screen, or simply just are looking for an excellent value in a good electric HVLP, then ya all better hustle over to:

http://www.gleempaint.com/noname.html

..and snatch one up PDQ!

post #4 of 29 Old 03-09-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post

Do you have a paint "recipe" for spray on tanning? My WAF would be great with that in hand!!!!

Maybe a recipe that I can vary the amount of tint based on the desired T(an) scale (instead of N)?

How Brown do you want to go down?

A kinda crazily O.T. request.

Go here: http://www.thetanningstore.com/TWAir...ngSystems.aspx

Tanning Paint has many different additives that make it good for your Skin....supposedly. And it comes in a great many different hues and shades.

I'd not suggest that you use the Artist or Latex House Paints we advocate unless your as big as a barn and contemplating becoming a Walking JumbroTron.

But...and just in case your serious about it....when you go to the site I linked to, you'll note how terribly expensive the obviously cheap HVLP Rigs are that they sell.

Also, you'd need to get a 1mm Needle Kit ($24.95) for spray tanning, less the 2.0 mm needle in the "No Name" make you look like spotted Fawn, or someone with the worst case of Brown Age Spots (...or Freckles...) on the Planet. The 1.0 Needle delivers a ultra fine mist.

Get the 1 mm Needle kit from Gleem as well....it's a special order item though.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #5 of 29 Old 03-10-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:

..and snatch one up PDQ!

Thanks for the heads up. I have wanted to try out the painted screen for some time. I have been pretty happy with my WA laminate, but now that I have a new Epson, I want to see if I can improve it.
post #6 of 29 Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
A little off topic, but has anyone used the No Name HVLP to spray any Polyurethane or Polycrylic finishes? If so how good of a job did it do?

Thanks,
Topp
post #7 of 29 Old 03-13-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by topp View Post

A little off topic, but has anyone used the No Name HVLP to spray any Polyurethane or Polycrylic finishes? If so how good of a job did it do?

Thanks,
Topp

It will handle those "Water based" materials, however it comes with a 2.0mm Needle that is pretty "wide-open" for really thin materials.

You can order 1.5mm or 1.0mm needle Kits for $25.00 ea. from Earlex 704-827-7889 "Mellissa"
http://www.earlex.com/pdf/3500_accessories.pdf

I got myself both the 2.0mm (comes standard) and a 1.0mm for my final Finish coat on Screens.

Like polished Glass, Baby!!!
Website is http://www.earlex.com

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #8 of 29 Old 03-15-2012, 04:50 PM

Hey been lurking for quite a while and have a theater room I will be building up in a month or so. I went ahead and got in on one of these sprayers thanks to your suggestions. Got it in today and the motor is obviously used, but it is a 3900 motor vice a 2900. Anyone else get the same thing or is that what is to be expected? If it is a better model great, but I just want to make sure I follow the correct thinning and viscosity ratings.

Thanks again for the heads up!
post #9 of 29 Old 03-15-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdang View Post

Hey been lurking for quite a while and have a theater room I will be building up in a month or so. I went ahead and got in on one of these sprayers thanks to your suggestions. Got it in today and the motor is obviously used, but it is a 3900 motor vice a 2900. Anyone else get the same thing or is that what is to be expected? If it is a better model great, but I just want to make sure I follow the correct thinning and viscosity ratings.

Thanks again for the heads up!

The 3900 is simply a slightly more powerful 2900, (550 watts vs 450 watts) however when originally packaged, it also came with a 1 Gallon Tank to sling on your shoulder.

The difference in performance between the two in negligible.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #10 of 29 Old 03-26-2012, 06:17 AM

How loud are these in operation?

I'm in an apartment. Once, I fired up a "pancake" style compressor and it was like a jackhammer! Not good...
post #11 of 29 Old 03-26-2012, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyCrusader View Post

I'm in an apartment. Once, I fired up a "pancake" style compressor and it was like a jackhammer! Not good...

Not too bad, maybe twice as loud as I hair dryer.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #12 of 29 Old 03-26-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyCrusader View Post

It isn't going to vibrate, but it is basically a vacuum cleaner motor.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #13 of 29 Old 04-23-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I see pictures of people using this indoors, wouldn't the mist from the gun get on everything?

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #14 of 29 Old 04-23-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

I see pictures of people using this indoors, wouldn't the mist from the gun get on everything?

With properly diluted paint and correct spraying procedure, the amount of actual Paint Dust that goes beyond the area of the Screen is minimal. Leastwise as compared to conventional Spray Guns.

Also, the much reduced time the Electric HVLP Guns are in operation tends to greatly reduce the degree of Dust present (40-sec to 1 min. avg.)

However, there will be / is some degree of over-spray / bounce, so it's advisable to spend $6.00-8.00 on some 0.7 mil 9' x 12' sheets of Plastic ($8.00 gets you 6 sheets) and use them to drape whatever areas you want to totally protect.

I myself will go so far as to create a "Paint Tent Booth" using Thumb Tacks and Blue Tape, encapsulating the screen area from Ceiling.Walls, and Floor.

It's all pretty simple and easy....a case of common sense really.

And of course, it's always a requirement to use a decent, tight fitting Respirator Mask. Because of the short exposure time, a "good Button Filter Cloth Mask" is acceptable...but the "Bomb" is a 3-M or similar DUAL Respirator Mask. While there isn't loads of dust getting tossed back into the far reaches of the room, while your painting from just 3' away, you are within a zone of mist you don't want to inhale.

Yeah....you might think you can hold your breath for a minute....but afterwards, when you see how coated your Nose hairs are, you'll realize that was a stew-pid idea.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #15 of 29 Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With properly diluted paint and correct spraying procedure, the amount of actual Paint Dust that goes beyond the area of the Screen is minimal. Leastwise as compared to conventional Spray Guns.

Also, the much reduced time the Electric HVLP Guns are in operation tends to greatly reduce the degree of Dust present (40-sec to 1 min. avg.)

However, there will be / is some degree of over-spray / bounce, so it's advisable to spend $6.00-8.00 on some 0.7 mil 9' x 12' sheets of Plastic ($8.00 gets you 6 sheets) and use them to drape whatever areas you want to totally protect.

I myself will go so far as to create a "Paint Tent Booth" using Thumb Tacks and Blue Tape, encapsulating the screen area from Ceiling.Walls, and Floor.

It's all pretty simple and easy....a case of common sense really.

And of course, it's always a requirement to use a decent, tight fitting Respirator Mask. Because of the short exposure time, a "good Button Filter Cloth Mask" is acceptable...but the "Bomb" is a 3-M or similar DUAL Respirator Mask. While there isn't loads of dust getting tossed back into the far reaches of the room, while your painting from just 3' away, you are within a zone of mist you don't want to inhale.

Yeah....you might think you can hold your breath for a minute....but afterwards, when you see how coated your Nose hairs are, you'll realize that was a stew-pid idea.

It must be different than the Wagoner control that I have used because that thing got dust on everything that was in the garage. BTW I just purchased this gun from Gleem.

post #16 of 29 Old 04-24-2012, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

It must be different than the Wagoner control that I have used because that thing got dust on everything that was in the garage. BTW I just purchased this gun from Gleem.

The original Wagner Control Spray had a smaller Tip, and it required pretty thinned material. But it also lacked the pressure of the later "Double Duty" model. The CS-DD has more power, and a bigger tip, so paint exits more rapidly and at a bit coarser mist.

The HV2900 (no-name) combines more power and a Metal Tip. And it seems to be more effective at atomizing paint. For certain, it seems to do an overall better job at the cheapest possible price. However, until it came along, the Wagners still were a far cry better to use than full blown Pressure Hose HVLP rigs, and certainly an order of magnitude less expensive.

Myself, I don't spare the plastic sheeting. It's inexpensive, easy to toss around / hang / wad up and toss out, and it does eliminate most concerns. But the singular most important aspect of spraying the heavily diluted paints is the rapidity of which the coats are applied. If the Gun is not in operation for very long, whatever amount of over-spray is produced is going to be less than it would be otherwise.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #17 of 29 Old 05-07-2012, 01:51 PM

thanks mm, just ordered one. I held off till the weather got warmer. I don't have any more excuses to get it done now.
post #18 of 29 Old 06-20-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Just painted my ugly yellow fiberglass garage door using it and it worked great.

post #19 of 29 Old 06-21-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

Just painted my ugly yellow fiberglass garage door using it and it worked great.

Screen Shots please. No "Car" movies.

biggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #20 of 29 Old 06-22-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

post #21 of 29 Old 06-23-2012, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Now that's what I call a Drive In Movie.biggrin.gif

Where do you keep the popcorn machine?confused.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #22 of 29 Old 07-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've got one of these jobbers Wagner Paint Crew and I'd probably use it more often if it wasn't so blasted hard to clean when you were done. The few times I've used it I swear cleanup took way longer than the shooting did. I'd think about using it to spray a screen, but I'm not sure if it would be adequate. And I'd probably just want to throw it away when I was done instead of cleaning it. tongue.gif
post #23 of 29 Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Not advisable. A screen is not a house. That unit lacks effective control of output and will dump paint onto the surface.
Use entirely at your own risk.

This thread is about using a very affordable, correct hvlp spray gun.

That's all I have to say about that.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #24 of 29 Old 07-03-2012, 05:17 AM

This does bring up a question that I've had, and admittedly have not yet researched...What sort of overspray issues do these guns have? Am I okay masking the immediate vicinity or do I need to worry about paint drifting, to say my neighbors vehicles? I'm obviously spraying outside.
post #25 of 29 Old 07-03-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamLover View Post

This does bring up a question that I've had, and admittedly have not yet researched...What sort of overspray issues do these guns have? Am I okay masking the immediate vicinity or do I need to worry about paint drifting, to say my neighbors vehicles? I'm obviously spraying outside.

No. The entire purpose in the design of HVLP guns is that they are "High Volume - Low Pressure"....which is to say they direct almost all the paint onto the surface and produce markedly less Over spray. The aforementioned Wagner Paint Crew? You can safely bet the Rent and Grocery money you'd have about 5x as much paint in the air. And of course, the paint mixes we specify are entirely water based, and in fact have "a LOT" of water in them, so when any mist does escape the vicinity, it quickly evaporates to a dry...dust-like state.

So....unless you live on a Zero Lot Line property, and your Neighbor parks his Car on your side of the line and within 6' of where you are painting, you'll be OK. wink.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #26 of 29 Old 07-03-2012, 10:35 PM

Cool beans. I own a Wagner sprayer as well that I have have used for my house remodel, but also purchased this unit mostly for my screen, but we are already discussing other alternative uses. I asked the question because when I used the low pressure unit to spray my patio, I was alarmed by the amount of over spray.

Good to know that my worries about this issue are minimal.

I entered into this project thinking that I would not allow myself to be high maintenance. Doin' a pretty shi*y job of that, eh?
post #27 of 29 Old 07-12-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well Awlwrightty then!

Once in a while a inquisitive AVS'er bothers to do a search of the Web and manages to find a even better deal.

Viola!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRACO-HV2900-39-CFM-450W-HVLP-House-Paint-Spray-Station-Machine-System-Painter-/230791007590#ht_4652wt_1140

Just $39.00 and "FREE SHIPPING!"

All ya all Snatch and Squirt!

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #28 of 29 Old 07-12-2012, 06:16 PM

Has anyone used the backpack accessory for these kick butt sprayers? Any good sources?
post #29 of 29 Old 07-13-2012, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamLover View Post

Has anyone used the backpack accessory for these kick butt sprayers? Any good sources?

Here is a link to the Mfg site:

http://www.earlex.com/hvlp.php

Call 'em and ask about the back Pack Accessory, and the compatibility of the needle Kits for the 3500 vs 2900

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page