Simple DIY screen question for new theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 03-09-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just recently built a house and have everything installed in my theater/sports bar area but the screen. In my last house (about 5 yrs back)I did a SIlverscreen formula (i think) rolled on, thanks to the great advice on this site and loved it. I have had everything from the old school Infocus projector to various Panny models, and currently have the Epson 8350. And now I'm ready to paint my screen,hopefully this weekend.

The room itself is very light controlled, although I would like for the picture to show up with ambient lights on so we do not have to turn off the lights completely to see the screen. Last formula I used seemed to darken the screen s bit more than I would have liked, but overall I loved it.

What formula would you recommend? This is going up on brand new drywall (painted with one coat of white paint). Would prefer to roll something because I don't trust myself with a sprayer in my new house.

Any thoughts? And thanks ahead of time to you guys that have created this formula. You can't beat the value and quality of these DIY screens. My last one received quite a bit of oohs and aaaahs and people who were impressed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-09-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Painting this Weekend? The Weekend is already here! You want to "Roll"...That doesn't leave any time to consider much.

So......Simply repeat your performance by using Behr SilverScreen, only this time have it mixed into a high quality Flat Interior Enamel Base.

SS is imminently "roll-able" and you'll be hard pressed to find anything else that will do better in a stock & standard Neutral Gray. Use a 1/4" or 3/16" Low Nap finish Roller of "BEST" quality, decent rolling technique, and you'll get very acceptable to OMG results.

Just be sure to construct your Screen Trim out of good quality Black Velvet wrapped and stapled over 3.25" MDF Base Trim. Professional looking and feeling Trim is the final crowning touch that makes a Screen have a decidedly higher "WoW" factor....so don't fudge on that aspect of the build.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 20 Old 03-09-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks MM for the quick reply. To be honest it may have been one of your "recipes" I used last time. Can't remember, although I do remember getting some paint at michaels, mixing in polyurethane and realizing after the 4th coat I was supposed to roll in only one direction.

Anyway, I'm not in a massive hurry if waiting makes sense. Honestly we just moved in so it is likely I don't get to this as soon as I would like.

Great advice on the trim. I skimped on that last time. Any links to where I would get all of the materials?
post #4 of 20 Old 03-09-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
MMan, isn't Silverscreen a little too dark?
post #5 of 20 Old 03-09-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
to be honest... with the newer higher lumen pjs... silverscreen is more relevent than it ever has been...

...but i do agree with you jim
post #6 of 20 Old 03-09-2012, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

What do you guys suggest? I'm open to anything. Have a really nice set up and want to do the screen right this time. Have it on the white drywall now.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-09-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Is silverscreen an actual Behr product? I asked at Home Depot (Canada) and all I got was strange looks.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #8 of 20 Old 03-09-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Do you guys think that paint is better than just black out cloth alone? I really like the look of the blackout cloth with no gain!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #9 of 20 Old 03-09-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's all the Behr paints at HomeDepot.ca and I don't see any Silver Screen:

http://www.homedepot.ca/catalog/inte...P_BuyCount%7C1

post #10 of 20 Old 03-09-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post

It may not be called "Silverscreen" but it's paint chip 770E-2 that you are looking for. It's just a color of paint not a special product. I think that may be where the confusion is...
post #11 of 20 Old 03-09-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Specifically
ask the Paint Technician to mix the Behr SilverScreen "color chip" 770E-2 with this:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/behr...ium-bas/959667

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #12 of 20 Old 03-09-2012, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys! Too much knowledge!

Does the SilverScreen have any reflective properties like some of the more elaborate mixes we get here?

post #13 of 20 Old 03-10-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Archaea;

generally if you love a BOC screen... you'll be impressed with the black level improvement of silverscreen...
but less than thrilled with it's white levels and it's color shift.
if you got a higher lumen pj... calibration can eliminate many of the silverscreen's caveats...
but some folks with even epson 8350's can get it to look color correct to their eyes.

sullender;
at the very least... silverscreen with one or two component ingredients... even better go with rs-maxxmudd ll. a positive gain and rollable mix... easy to make and easy to apply.

Favelle,
silverscreen has no reflective gain enhancing properties. it is simply an OTS (off the shelf) color mixed at home depot. in fact home depot no longer calls it by that name... partly due to the confusion. it is a less than unity gain around .8
post #14 of 20 Old 03-10-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks guys! Too much knowledge!

Does the SilverScreen have any reflective properties like some of the more elaborate mixes we get here?

No. None whatsoever in and of itself, when mixed into a "Flat" base. One can mix it into a "Satin" to acquire a bit of sheen, but that sort of thing was reserved for PJs of lessor Lumens than yours.

Nope....you must look at SS as being a simple, roll-able paint, mode at least as good as the quality of the base it's mixed with. It is a virtually neutral Gray of a moderately dark shade tat both assists (via attenuation) the appearance having deeper blacks, while also adding some degree of ambient light resistance.

The latter especially if one has the Lumens to punch a bright image onto the Gray SS surface.

There are other choices, and some are not complex, but anything really "contrasty" w/Gain is going to require spraying because you can only get such gain with the addition of enough Reflective particles to catch and reflect the higher energy brighter content back at a degree higher than the less energetic darker content. Those particles are randomly distributed when sprayed, but rolling almost always will lay them all out vertically to the Len's face, creating excessive, mirror-like sheen.

We have been "focused" on achieving the maximum amount of gain possible with the darkest surfaces....and we've come far. Some things...like the necessity of spraying remain constant though.

When PJs with 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast and 3500 lumens are commonplace, still, a Gray painted surface will be desirable, always delivering ambient light resistance for pennies on the Mfg Screen dollar. That day is not really far off. Already there exists a BenQ 1080p (890) w/4000 lumens and 50,000:1 DLP dynamic contrast (...that any DLP advocate will tell you 'is to die for'....) and it's average "street price" is $2495.00 (I've seen it as low as $1900. )

Yeah...it's louder than desirable (34 db), but in Econo (31 db) w/3000 hr Bulb, it's still pumping 3200 ansi lumens and your getting every bit of that 50,000:1 CR when it's available.

So you see, by your painting a SS screen, you taking a wise step (..if one wants to take baby steps ;D ) that gives you a Gray surface just dark enough to matter and be ideal for a 2000 lumen PJ, and doing it cheaply enough that upgrading again to a lighter gray w/Gain will still make sense. Both performance & fiscal-wise.

....or, do what PB above suggests (...btw, I was hunt-&-peckin' this out before he started...) and haul up, get just the few (2) extra ingredients required for RS-MaxxMudd -LL , and experience Low Lamp, high contrast, performance that still retains some ambient light performance. That solution is also roll-able, the only high performance +gain mix that is.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #15 of 20 Old 03-10-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

....I'm leaving.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #16 of 20 Old 03-10-2012, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Was thinking about maxmudd. Not even sure that is not what I did the last time.
post #17 of 20 Old 03-23-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

You might want to read the article at projectorcentral dot com before taking all those pieces of advise related to it. I can tell you from my experience that what was in the article relevant to the silverscreen is the exact same I experienced.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

if you are planning on doing a behr silverscreen... then yes, that article is relevent. and i do agree that subjectively, do can certainly do better.

although, i'd also add, that none of the OTS paint... even the ones claiming to more nuetral than silverscreen... will be anything better, visually.
post #19 of 20 Old 03-27-2012, 08:30 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Already there exists a BenQ 1080p (890) w/4000 lumens and 50,000:1 DLP dynamic contrast (...that any DLP advocate will tell you 'is to die for'....) and it's average "street price" is $2495.00 (I've seen it as low as $1900. )

Yeah...it's louder than desirable (34 db), but in Econo (31 db) w/3000 hr Bulb, it's still pumping 3200 ansi lumens and your getting every bit of that 50,000:1 CR when it's available.

I have a CRT RPT now (nothing special Hitachi, but still better than 90% of the LCD panels out there today!) and am thinking of upgrading to a projector. I have a large 19 x 17 family room and I will be sitting about 17 feet from the screen. Lots of ambient light during the day, but I only watch movies at night so that's not a huge concern. I can always get some room darkening shades if it ever bothers me, but my CRT RPT isn't the brightest and during the day it's more than acceptable for me.

I'm just starting my research and have been really enjoying reading the DIY screen forum here. I'm intrigued by you mentioning the sound on the projector - my room is two stories and the upper part of the wall opposite where I am considering putting the screen is the closet in the master bedroom. I've toyed with putting a port in the wall with a piece of glass - then the projector could be in the closet on or near the floor. Depending on the heat output, I'm prepared to put a ventilation fan in (but it's a pretty good sized walk in closet and having the door open may be more than adequate).

Sound crazy? Any particular glass that I should use? I think it would be a great way to deal with the one aspect of projectors that can drive me crazy - the fan noise. It would also mean the projector will be a little more than 19 feet from the screen - I realize I may have to change the lens depending on the final screen size I pick due to the distance - and that I'll loose some brightness from the distance too. But due to the two story aspect of the room, ceiling mount is out of the question and I don't want the projector in the middle of the room either. Being able to acoustically isolate the projector from the room is too good to pass up
post #20 of 20 Old 03-27-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

I've done those type installations before.

Do not discount how quickly heat can build up in an enclosed closet...even a biggun. After all, the PJ will be mounted closer to the ceiling than the Floor. I'd also drop the idea of a Glass Plate. With the PJ located behind a wall, simply using as small a hole as possible will suffice (...dependent upon the location of the Air Intake / Exhaust...)
Really though, on a closet situation, all you really would need to do is to move some air in through the bottom of the Door (cool) and have a exhaust leading out up high...preferably as close to the PJ as possible. Using a twin Muffin Fan assembly with at least 300 cfm is going to be more than adequate if positioned properly.

Also, your PJ choice should be dictated by the correlation between Lumen output / available Throw distance parameters / screen size. And just the same, the choice of Screen surface will also be greatly dependent on all three aforementioned criteria.

Bummer that it can be / often is...the price of the PJ sometimes sticks itself into the equation as well.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page