Modify Manual Pulldown 150" to Fixed Frame - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-11-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a manual 150" Elite screen. I really don't want to downgrade in size, but would like to get the screen a little higher off the ground. I'd also like to get some of the small waves out of it and modifying this screen will be way cheaper than buying a tensioned or fixed frame this size. What I was thinking was I could cut the screen from the rolling mechanism and the bottom pull down bar, then build an aluminum frame out of 1" tubing with brackets so it can be taken apart to go through the door if I ever move.

Problem is I'm not sure how to secure the screen to the frame. I thought about using some kind of rivets or heavy duty buttons. Not sure if either of those would work that well though. I did just come across a post here about heavy duty velcro. It was being used on a different material though. Do you think a velcro would work or have any other suggestions? The way the screen is on the sides (only like 1" border), I wouldn't be able to wrap it without losing some screen real estate (maybe not much, but would like to avoid that if possible).

And I guess another option would be to make a wood frame and staple it directly on the back side of the wood without wrapping around the pieces. But with that, I'm not sure how the other supports would look since they would be right against the screen and you may be able to see their contour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-11-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Hi!

I hate you. That's not DIY material! That being the case, we don't discuss the use of such...and Frame Building doesn't alone qualify. Now if you also want to "Paint" on a high Performance coating....that would be measurably different.

Are we/I being stinky? No. A quick look will garner you many threads about various Framing techniques and Materials. If you have the patience to look...it's all there under specific Thread titles and available via a specific term AVS seach.

But I'll be glad to advise you via PM and then you can post your "conversion" efforts over on "Screens" in return. You can be sure I already know most of what you need to know, and have done similar projects where I did likewise....but then I had the decency to paint the gol' durn thing.

PM me if you want to proceed in that manner, or post another Thread on Screens and I'll be dropping by after you do.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 5 Old 03-11-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Fair enough..just seemed like the most logical place to post such a question.
PM Sent
post #4 of 5 Old 03-12-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskizm View Post

Problem is I'm not sure how to secure the screen to the frame.

So the deployed screen is too big to get-out of the room if you move? I was going to suggest maybe securing the screen material to a gatorfoam board using wallpaper paste. That would give you perfect flatness.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-23-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I made up a DIY screen once with a fabric weave. I used standard metal studs. I just pop rivet the thing together.. I cross braced it to keep it rigid. It still is perfectly str8, and I can pick it up with one hand. Then I just built a mitered baseboard around the screen viewing area.

There is a sites where you can talk about frames and not have someone thats selling commercial products or trying to get you to buy his "DIY" screen have gone. Send me a PM and I can give you the ones that were given to me.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page