106" DIY Virgin BOC Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-24-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I've been stalking the boards for about a week trying to decide on how I wanted to present my Epson 8350 to the world.

I had my teeth into an Elite screen VMAX2 120" but the criagslist deal fell though and I wanted to put a little "something of myself" into the screen.

After multiple trips to Home Depot and frustrating myself over the multitude of options, I saw Lakersin2025's DIY thread and told myself it was time to stop researching and make something happen.

I picked up 96x54" of BOC at JoAnns Fabrics to stretch over a 8'x3"x1" simple frame. I had HD cut down the top/bottom to 94" and cut me three 48" pieces to complete the structure. 4 L brackets, 2 T's and an AWESOME electric staple gun on clearance at Target were next up. Finally, a 6" hangman cut in half to support the screen and I was ready to go!

I realized after I got home that cutting a 96" into two 48"s will result in losing about a 1/4" due to the saw. I spaced the frame out so that I have 53" of viewing area...but probably gave up some strength. This is NOT the best build...but its better than my wall and I am, so far, happy with the results. The frame DID warp a bit due to my stretching, the image looks clean, but we'll see what happens when I ceiling mount the projector and get the room cleaned up. My OCD will probably make me velcro the bottom of the screen to a 1" piece of wood mounted to the wall to get it even all across. I had to mount the screen on a 1" piece to get it to clear the window in the upper right of the room.

Pics taken on full auto with some zoom. I will work on calibrating and post some better pics for assessment. Thanks to PBMAXX and MM for all the excellent info held in this board, and thanks to Lakersin2025 for creating a thread that detailed the process enough, with simple language, to follow. If it werent for his thread I'd probably still be choosing/taking back various frame material.

Not much to pull but I made it work.

Wall Vs Screen.

On Wall, lights on.

Not sure why looks different same scene...
Standard Def

I watched KungFu Panda 2 before I had the screen up and was pretty amazed at how good it looked out of the box on the wall. I will watch it again after calibrating, starting with the recommended settings from the 8350 thread and working a calibration disc from there. I am hoping to be blown away by the new results.

The goal of the screen is to have a good looking gaming screen for PS3/Wii and be able to watch sports in football season with the lights on.

Feedback welcome.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-25-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

Not sure why looks different same scene...

sure you do! the color of the wall pushed everything red... hence the redish flesh tones and the redish trees in the badckground.
without a reference, you thought it look pretty good on your wall... until...
post #3 of 3 Old 03-26-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Well....my wife inspected the screen. She did not give it passing marks. She was pretty harsh. I don't think she'll be satisfied with anything under 120" and anything less then out of the box motorized and ceiling hung.

In the meantime...I velcro'd the bottom of the screen to the wall and when the screen is "in use" it does an excellent job. NCAA 2013 is going to be epic.

Edit- My wife decided to humor me and see the screen "in action" and she is now satisfied.
=)

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page