Painting suggestions? Optoma TWR1693 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-26-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to make a screen using sintra/komatex as my surface. I'm pretty stumped as to what to go with for the paint though. The screen will be setup in my living room so there will be a decent amount ambient light during the day, but viewing will take place primarily after the sun has gone down at which point I will have control over most of the ambient light.

Here is my setup:
Optoma TWR1693
Distance of 13'
Projecting to a size of 60"x97"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-27-2012, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, maybe my projector is a bit obscure, let's talk generically. My projector is pretty bright as it is, but the contrast isn't as great as I would like. What I really want in a screen is something that will give me better contrast than what I have right now, especially during the day when sunlight is washing a lot of the image out. Conversely, I don't want any sparkles or hot spots at night when it's pitch black. The lack of sparkles and hot spots is far more important to me than the increased gain/contrast during the day.

What would you suggest for a bright projector to avoid sparkles and hot spots?
post #3 of 5 Old 03-27-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 200
A Basic Neutral Gray shade (8.0) mixed into a good quality White Accent Base

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #4 of 5 Old 03-27-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, I hadn't considered using a neutral grey. I had read about MaxMudd and Silverfire, would these be too 'bright' for my projector?

I am reading the thread regarding DIY Behr grey tints, would you suggest going with Behr or another brand?

I have a pretty obsessive nature, and just want to make sure that I'm going down the right path and have weighed each option before starting this project.

Thank you again.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-27-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Well, you have a wealth of Lumens. (3600) You stated that you absolutely did not want to chance seeing a single 'sparkly" or trace of Graininess.

Of them all,a Silver Fire 5.0 can allow you the most leeway as far as ambient light performance, but if your Eagle-Eyed" (20/10), the metallic content that allows for a darker Gray to provide a brilliant image with dynamic looking Whites might manifest itself too much for your personal taste.

So if you place the Optoma within 20 % of it's minimum Throw distance (12.8'), and run the Optoma on Normal Lamp, driving into a 7.5 Neutral Gray, and have calibrated the PJ to optimally utilize the Gray surface, you should a a very clear, "open window-like" image with impressive Blacks, and excellent whites.

Of course, in a comparison to a true White Surface, or a metallic infused Gray surface, you'd see the difference immediately as far as gain and white levels are concerned. (...and the white would perform miserably in ambient....) But if you do not make such a comparison, most everybody on this Planet who needs ambient light watching ability and/or help with a bright PJ's lack of Contrast range, and has done a smooth, error free Gray surface that was getting blasted with mega lumens will vouchsafe that it's never something anyone can...or will notice on it's own.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page