Spare Bedroom turned into Theater Room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-28-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Ok guys, need some advice and can't seem to fully find the answers I need. Here's my situation. Got a house with a spare room that I am not going to use, so I'm going to turn it into a video game/sports room. I am going to be using my short throw Optoma GT720 in this room. I'll probably be table mounting it for now, so mounting and throw distance is of no concern for me. I want to paint the surrounding walls black and I want to know what type of black paint show I get, if there is a certain type. Also, I been looking at screen paint and I see that there are gains up to 4. But for $300 I might just get cheaper paint. Is there a really inexpensive white paint I can use and if I can get a paint with added gain, where should I look? I don't really want to pay over $100 for paint. I will be able to get 196in diagonal which is 171in x 96in. A gallon is supposed to get me up to 240in diagonal. I want to know if this sounds correct or should I buy more than one gallon. Any help will be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey there!

First off, what screen paints are you looking at? Both the 4.0 gain and the $300 price are big BS warning flags. There's a lot of crap on the market, especially on eBay. For that matter, I don't buy into any of the commercial screen paints. You can do a lot more for a lot less right here.

As far as a cheap white paint, the Glidden Diamond 450 base paint in velvet matte is an excellent choice. (Available only at Glidden Professional paint stores.) It's as good or better than any white screen paint you're going to find. There are good gray pants too. First though, make sure of your screen size.

Screen size. I personally don't think you'll be happy with that big a screen in a bedroom sized environment. My advice is to set up your system and just project onto a white wall for starters. Find out what size screen you want by trying different sizes. Put your effort into your screen after you're sure what size is right.

As far as room colors, black is a little extreme and not necessary. I'll leave it to others here with more experience to help you with that.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-28-2012, 08:43 PM

Liked: 11
I agree with Kirnak's advice to project the image onto the blank wall first and see what you're comfortable with/what your PJ is happy doing and decide on a screen size from there.

AFA painting the room black or very dark, I say if you can get away with it (no nagging wife OR your wife is awesome) go for it!! To a certain extent, the best wall/ceilings/floor for a HT are black. It would kill most all reflected light and draw your eyes totally to the screen. It would also make your screen REALLY BRIGHT. If your PJ is a light cannon, you might have some issues.

If I had total control over a dedicated HT room the ceiling would be black for sure. Walls probably a dark gray or dark brown and the carpet...probably the same.

But back to basics. Before going nutso on the ceiling/floor/walls you need to get your screen size figured out. Your PJs throw range/ambient light/viewing distance will all factor in. Take it from there.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
See my build thread in my sig. I started by mounting the projector and getting the image aligned and squared up on the wall to see what size I could get. Then I taped off the area, painted the surrounding walls, and finally used a special paint mixture formula I got from here on AVS for the screen.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-28-2012, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's going to be about 184in diagonal. It will be at least 180in for sure but no more than 184in since the height is only 8ft. Since I'm using a Optoma GT720, I will have no problem with lumens. I have an outdoors 220in and it lights it up good. I have a nice theater in my place. I have a 120in using a JVC RS55 and a 75in using an acer h5360 in my bedroom. I just needed to know the type of paint and the bedroom is big and will have no problem projecting on the entire wall like I have done many times with my GT720.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-28-2012, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnak View Post

Hey there!

First off, what screen paints are you looking at? Both the 4.0 gain and the $300 price are big BS warning flags. There's a lot of crap on the market, especially on eBay. For that matter, I don't buy into any of the commercial screen paints. You can do a lot more for a lot less right here.

As far as a cheap white paint, the Glidden Diamond 450 base paint in velvet matte is an excellent choice. (Available only at Glidden Professional paint stores.) It's as good or better than any white screen paint you're going to find. There are good gray pants too. First though, make sure of your screen size.

Screen size. I personally don't think you'll be happy with that big a screen in a bedroom sized environment. My advice is to set up your system and just project onto a white wall for starters. Find out what size screen you want by trying different sizes. Put your effort into your screen after you're sure what size is right.

As far as room colors, black is a little extreme and not necessary. I'll leave it to others here with more experience to help you with that.

Thanks for the paint advice. But I bought the my Optoma for this reason to projector at 180in+. Me and my brothers play call of duty and nba 2k in his living room and we get a 160in image from about 9 ft away. It's very enjoyable. It will just be for video games and occasions sports but I will do my movie watching on my JVC RS55
post #7 of 12 Old 03-29-2012, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

But I bought the my Optoma for this reason to projector at 180in+. Me and my brothers play call of duty and nba 2k in his living room and we get a 160in image from about 9 ft away. It's very enjoyable.

Cool! If you've already checked the size and you like it, then by all means go for it.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:

It's going to be about 184in diagonal. It will be at least 180in for sure but no more than 184in since the height is only 8ft. Since I'm using a Optoma GT720, I will have no problem with lumens. I have an outdoors 220in and it lights it up good. I have a nice theater in my place. I have a 120in using a JVC RS55 and a 75in using an acer h5360 in my bedroom. I just needed to know the type of paint and the bedroom is big and will have no problem projecting on the entire wall like I have done many times with my GT720.

Quote:

I bought the my Optoma for this reason to projector at 180in+. Me and my brothers play call of duty and nba 2k in his living room and we get a 160in image from about 9 ft away. It's very enjoyable. It will just be for video games and occasions sports but I will do my movie watching on my JVC RS55

Seems straightforward to me. But a few important issues (...well one for sure...) need to be considered.

Your PJ has no zoom, and would have to be at a fixed distance of 9.2' from the wall. More importantly is the amount of Image offset at that size/distance. The top or bottom of the screen's edge is going to be almost a full Foot (11.8") down...or up from the center of the lens, dependent on it being either ceiling or "floor" mounted.

If your using a Auto Keystone feature, bear in mind that the larger the image, the more pronounced any deleterious effects of image quality "might be". The real root of any issue is the degree of tilt needed...and with an image that is a full 95" tall (180" = 95" x 153"), I'm stretching to see how you'll get the full 95" even if the room just has 3.25" Base Trim.

Seems like you might....at the most...have to scale back to 174" diagonal (92" x 147") to give you clearance over the Base and 1" between the Ceiling and Screen's edge.

A ceiling mount seems the only practical choice, and it'll have to be the absolute lowest profile one you can get. If not already selected, that would be a Chief RPA (PJ Specific) mount for the 720.

.....and even then you'll still have to give the 720 a slight "upward" slant to get the image where you want it at 174" diagonal, and count on Key-stoning to not be too bad and correcting the resultant trapezoid..

All up inside your business, ain't I? Just force of habit...especially when people start talking about "The Really Big Picture". We all want it...and it's never been easier or less expensive. But if it's not done right or even just less than expected / hoped for...it's not very far from being all just "The Big Bummer". Or worse..."The Big Ugly!"

But as I said, it's getting easier to avoid those worst case scenarios. In your case, I see mostly logistical Red Flags, not so much as any "Performance-oriented" ones.

Did you ask a question about paint? Hmmmmm....let's see.

OK, you spoke of the expensive Mfg for DIY" Screen paints. I know from some small degree of experience that there are only a very few of those whose attributes match their performance claims. Those that do come close...they are indeed the most expensive of all, because they (Mfgs) feel/know that your getting a bargain compared to a high quality Mfg Screen. So you gotta ante up at least their price point. They are not going to give it away, especially in a growing market that is just now really starting to appreciate what image quality can really mean.

True DIY'ism on this Forum has about a $225.00 limit...and that usually includes the Substrate material, a Electric HVLP Sprayer, and all the paint you'd need to paint even the size landscape your talking about.

But if you can...and are using the Wall.......then the overall cost of a 1.3 Gain "Rollable" or "Spray-able" paint job would plummet to about $70.00 if you used a more simpler High Performance mix such as RS-MaxxMudd LL

The 720 isn't anybodys idea of a Low Lumen PJ...but at 174" it's still only be 13 lumen bright. With 1.3 gain it's jumping to 17 lumen...and that is just fine with "controlled" (not "Black-out") lighting when using RS-MM LL. Even gamers can appreciate some illumination where they must stand, and indirect lighting 9' back from the Screen isn't going to affect the image quality with the prescribed paint.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #9 of 12 Old 03-29-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm planning on filling the entire wall, but I think ill leave 6 inches height wise, so the area is going to be 7.5 feet high of the 8ft high ceiling. I'm looking at 160in x 90in at 16:9. The GT720 will give me 2100 lumens on Eco mode at 9.5ft and with just a 1.0 gain, I will have 20ftL. That's really good for that size. Plus, I have done this many times on a light green color wall at my brothers place. Video games and movies are different when comparing quality. I am not doing this to for blu ray quality movies, since I have an $8k projector, JVC RS55 and $2k SI screen. Believe it or not, I actually know its going to work great. I will be table mounting my GT720 since I take it everywhere with me, even outdoors on my 220in screen. So, I don't have to worry about any keystone problems. Since it has 10W speakers built in, I don't have to worry about speaker where to place speakers, just going to use the built in speakers. It gets loud enough for me.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-30-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Knowing the offset issues of the GT 720, please explain how...with a minimum of 10" difference between the Len's center line and the "bottom edge" of the screen (...the screen's bottom edge being above and not below the lens...), and your stated intention of "table mounting" the unit (...at least 30" off the floor...) how you can effect such an image without tilting the Pj and dealing with the resultant key-stone?

Reviewing your posts, and your stated lack of concern about doing something...anything to improve image quality and/or black level performance (...the 720 need help on that...) it would seem the only real question you want answered is if you need more than a gallon of paint. The answer should be quite obvious...your going to have to paint the entire wall...and anyone who suggests you'll get a decent amount of even coverage using a Mfg Screen Paint in one coat with the normal 2 Qt/2 L amounts such Mfg Screen paints provide per "Kit" is jerkin' yer chain.

References to expensive Mfg DIY Paints seem a bit strange considering the real estate you want to cover, and the stated intent of such mixes to supposedly advance IQ ad such at extremely high prices.

Best you simply apply one of the suggested Bright White paints (...like the Glidden Diamond 450 base paint in velvet matte...) as evenly as you can in the method your most satisfied in trying. I have to say it's a bit odd to see someone who has a PJ like the RS55 and who is used to seeing IQ at a level that equipment can provide state that he has no real concern about IQ for Gaming, when being able to have great contrast, and almost infinite detail is pretty much universally acclaimed as being a great advantage to Gamers. Especially in "Shoot-em-ups".

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #11 of 12 Old 04-06-2012, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Best you simply apply one of the suggested Bright White paints (...like the Glidden Diamond 450 base paint in velvet matte...) as evenly as you can in the method your most satisfied in trying. I have to say it's a bit odd to see someone who has a PJ like the RS55 and who is used to seeing IQ at a level that equipment can provide state that he has no real concern about IQ for Gaming, when being able to have great contrast, and almost infinite detail is pretty much universally acclaimed as being a great advantage to Gamers. Especially in "Shoot-em-ups".

I'm hoping at can get a nice 176-180in image. The Optoma GT720 is one excellent projector, especially for gaming. It's a gamers projector also. Playing NBA 2K, madden or COD with 3 of my friends is extremely fun. No matter if we are projecting it on a light green wall at 160in or on my 220in outdoor screen. I guess most will not know unless they try it. If I'm playing a one player game, then picture quality matters to me, but not to most. People are perfectly fine watching a dvd or streaming netflix, but for me, I need a blu ray with my e-shift turned on while watching my JVC RS55. I have done this before, so its not odd at all, you just never seen it before. Video games and movies are different when talking about brightness and picture quality. I know my limitations, and I can get a much bigger image. People use 300 lumen projectors with 100+ screens, but its odd that I want to use a 2500 lumen projector up to a 200in image? I use a 120in screen with my JVC and my GT720 is more than 2x as bright.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-06-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

For certain, digitally produced content is what favors PJs such as the 720, and that helps tremendously when pushing the envelope of size. Frankly, it's almost assuredly a case where...as you mentioned...people just haven't even considered "going there" and so quite understandably feel safe in saying, "It's not going to work."

Your RS-55 has 1200 lumens. A way back about 4 years ago I painted a 220" 16:9 screen that got serviced by a JVC RS-2 (700 lumens). When I posted about my intentions, I was hoo-hawed badly, and buried in statements like, "Are you crazy?"

I even started to think I might be, but by using a Paint solution that had significant gain (S-I-L-V-E-R), it not only was accomplished, but did so magnificently. Furthermore, when the member involved had a Theater Preview Party, some pretty well versed and respected AVS'ers in attendance collaborated that opinion with personal observations.

I don't think you have much of a chance of being dissatisfied.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page