White Pearl Alternative, Very Cheap - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-14-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As an alternative to using Rustoleum and other "white pearl" products, you can simply purchase the dry powder. Here's one source that I have used, and I'm sure there are others:

http://www.coastalscents.com/make-yo...er/mp-079.html

This is an extremely fine powder which blends very well in water based products, and since it's approved for use in makeup, I would assume it is quite safe for DIY.

Using a dry mica product in a DIY mix lets you control the pearl content very closely, it doesn't change viscosity, and it avoids adding the different and sometimes incompatible binders found in premixed products.

And at $14.95 per pound, it's a lot less expensive!

Garry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-14-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Thank you Gary!

For those who are not dead set against the use of mica-based mixes, the link above is a boon as far as availability. One can be certain that the appropriate materials will be acquire forthwith, and specific experimentation and testing do asap so that everyone can take full advantage of this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 10 Old 04-14-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
As you know, there's no reason whatsoever not to use mica. But here's a quick "debunk" for those not familiar:

The most common misconception about mica is the "prism" effect, where the light from the projector is supposedly broken down into extra colors which make the color of the projected image inaccurate. Sounds plausible; as everyone knows from science class, if you shine a light at a prism, it splits that light into a rainbow.

But that light you used in science class was a "white" light. It already contained those colors, which, when combined, we perceive as "white".

Here's where the analogy falls apart: Projectors don't project "white" light. They project specific independent colors (i.e. RGB) of a fairly narrow spectrum. And if you shine red light (or any other specific color light) at a prism, you get red light out. No extra colors, no problems!

Garry
post #4 of 10 Old 04-15-2012, 10:44 AM

Liked: 10
Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume mica is used to increase the gain? I saw many different colors of mica including the white pearl and other whites. I'm looking for something to increase gain on a white type screen without the need to improve ambient light performance. Is this something you recommend?
post #5 of 10 Old 04-15-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Obviously, that is what it's all about. By mixing these items together, you hopefully achieve a balance.

People have often tried adding a disproportionate amount of Mica-based paint into mixes to achieve higher gain, with the also obvious results of excessive glare, hot spotting, and grossly reduced viewing cone.

No matter what, there will always be a tipping point where diminishing returns in image quality result from trying to achieve too much reflectivity.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #6 of 10 Old 04-15-2012, 01:16 PM

The problem I'm having is that I'm not seing any gain increases in the mixes I've tried which includes rs-maxmudd LL and even other variants with more silver and pearl. I am seing the increase in black level and contrast which is nice but its not what I need for my situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't I be able to distinguish a slightly brighter image with a mixture that contains lots of silver and pearl? I still think my background screen (white PVC SMX screen) shows a brighter image in my batcave type room.

Maybe a lesson on what to look for is needed?
post #7 of 10 Old 04-15-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
it's hard to describe but gain is independent of contrast and brightness... especially if that brightness is really a color palate shift towards white... or as i would call it 'whiteness'.

maybe you could put up a comparison pick or two.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-19-2012, 02:11 PM

How much of this powder to use? If the mixture calls for 16oz what whould be the equivalent amount in powder form?
post #9 of 10 Old 04-19-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Well... we are not the type to use people for guinea pigs, and this recent find it is new enough that we have not had a chance to formulate accurate measured amounts. Plans are in the works to do just that however I cannot give you a specific time table at present.

If however you would like to acquire some of the mic powder, and make an attempt under my specific directions, I would be more than glad to work with you and help to accommodate that desire.

That would involve mixing some specific amount and trying at least 3 separate test panels.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #10 of 10 Old 04-20-2012, 06:28 AM

Thanks for the offer MississippiMan, but I am not at the point of conducting any test. I am still in the process of fixing up my basement in preperation for a basic home theater setup and for buget reason I am leaning toward a painted surface. I have read many of your post and thank you for all the great advise on DIY screens.

When the time comes I thinking of using the following mixture that you posted a while ago that seems to be low cost and easy to apply and hopefully will provide good results:

1 quart Behr plus ultra UPW interior enamal
1 pint minwax polycrilic water base polyurethane
16 oz delta ceramcoat white pearl finish
8 oz filtered water
8 oz craftsmart silver metallic

BTW, any idea if this mixture will provide any gain? Would like to see at least a 2.0 gain since I will be going for a 145" diag.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page