122" Sintra - DMC - Check end of thread for updates - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 04-21-2012, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Alright, I've been doing alot of research for the past few weeks. I think I have aquired almost everything I needed to complete the project.

Projector: BenQ W6000 $999 at Frys

Screen: Sintra - 60"x106" for 120-122" screen - $112 local distributor - free cut to size.

Products for Silverfire v2 3.0:
-Pearl - $31
Liquitex - Buy 2 Get 1 Free @ Michaels - $30 for all 9 bottles.
Polycrylic - $17 @ HD
UPW - $13

4 Yards Velvet from Hobby Lobby - $36.

~22-25ft border from HD to frame velvet around screen about $22.

Theatre chairs electronic recline- The computer in the corner will be replaced and station the receiver/av equipment and wire through the ceiling to projector via hdmi

Here are a few pictures of my room and theatre chairs. The air hockey table is for sale so ignore that Also lights in middle will be removed and eventually replaced by ceiling fan/track light that isnt so bright.

Room from a distance. Projector will be mounted from ceiling behind the right pillar you see in this picture. Will be mounted from 14-15' back from far wall.

Sintra board

Image of the room from the right. The sintra board will go on the wall with the built in grid. Going to paint this wall darker and also paint the trim contrasting color. Grid color will also match ceiling and possibly rest of the walls in this room.

View from Left- Sintra board is almost exactly the size of the four middle squares in my grid on the wall. It just barley misses the grid by 1.5" on one side. Room is approx 18x15 with the 18 being the width of the wall with the grid. Ceiling is 10', but as you can see room is very open.

Working on painting the back wall first probably a dark slate/gray color and contrasting color on the grid. My first issue is deciding how to mount the sintra. I can't mount directly to the drywall as the grid is on there pretty solid and I feel like if i removed the grid it would tear up the wall as it already is so I plan on mounting the sintra on top of the grid.

Im contemplating mounting it with industrial velcro. Putting it on the rear side of the sintra and along each grid already on the wall. Would this support the board + velvet/wood frame? Grid is between 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the wall. I'd like to avoid nailing into the sintra and keep the 120-122" full size screen.

2nd Idea is to mount a couple extra pieces to the grid to support the border of the sintra. First mount some trim pieces similar to what I have to the wall and then glue the sintra along the edges to the wall.

Ive taken alot of MM's advice and will be going with silverfire 3.0 on the screen and will be getting something to block the windows, even though this will be mostly for weekend/night viewing.
So basically, first step is what advice would you give me on mounting the sintra with velvet border to my wall as that will be my first step after painting the wall behind it.
I've compiled this to do list
Step 1. Paint room/ceiling (SW has 40% off paint so will be getting this done this weekend)
Step 2. Hang Sintra
Step 3. Mix & Spray Silverfire
Step 4. Mount velvet trim
Step 5. Ceiling mount projector
Step 6. Hookup and wire av/speakers.
few more minor things and then calibrate & enjoy

Here is a final few pics of a complete view of the room for reference. Sorry kind of out of order and taking too long to stitch together into panorama. I have a complete Polk Monitor 70/40s(surround & wall mounted) and cs2(with mount as well) with energy 10" sub to put in here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-21-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Very nice room. Where did you get the theater chairs? What's the price? PM me if you like.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-21-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

Very nice room. Where did you get the theater chairs? What's the price? PM me if you like.

I got the chairs at Sams Club for approx 260 a piece. They were on clearance about 2 months ago and not sure if they carry them anymore, but they are pretty comfortable and I like the power recline feature and double cupholders they have.
post #4 of 19 Old 04-21-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 68
that's a nice score.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-22-2012, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

Anyone have advice on how to mount the sintra & velvet frame to my wall. Not sure what kind of screws or glue to use to mount the sintra to the wall as the grid I have is about 1/2 to 1" thick off the wall. Want to try to not damage the existing wood grid if possible and cant figure if I should try the industrial velcro or some other route to mount this thing..

On a side note Im not sure if I mis measured as I set up the projector about 14'6 from the wall and could only get about a 114" image, not the 120~ i was hoping for..
post #6 of 19 Old 04-22-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjamm View Post

Thanks.

Anyone have advice on how to mount the sintra & velvet frame to my wall. Not sure what kind of screws or glue to use to mount the sintra to the wall as the grid I have is about 1/2 to 1" thick off the wall. Want to try to not damage the existing wood grid if possible and cant figure if I should try the industrial velcro or some other route to mount this thing..

On a side note Im not sure if I mis measured as I set up the projector about 14'6 from the wall and could only get about a 114" image, not the 120~ i was hoping for..

If you cannot change the PJ's position, then some of your issues are answered. You can cut the Sintra to a size that leaves 2" around the perimeter of your Screen's viewable image, and simply attach Blocking along those areas where you can screw directly through the Sintra into those Blocks. The Trim then overlays the Screws / 2" area.

Or...use Velcro on those Blocks* and the Grid.
*Blocks still need to be attached to the Sintra with adhesive.

However you gotta be specific. Is the Grid 1/2" or 1" deep?

Also, when you paint, the edges of the Sintra will need to be extended with Cardboard to create a "Run-off" area for your spraying to prevent starving the edges of paint due to "Vortex-ing"

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #7 of 19 Old 04-25-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't mounted the projector yet so it's still movable. the grid is actually 3/4 inch thick and about 3inches wide . will probably velcro or use finish nails to put it up. trying to mount with least possible damage if I ever wanted to take it down or repaint the wall. I'll mount some cardboard on the edges painters tape from the back
post #8 of 19 Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

As previously suggested, use some 3/4" thick Blocks where needed to support the material where there is no framework. You can drive 2 finish nails through each of them at opposing angles to lock them in place where there is no stud behind to receive such.

Then use the Velco wherever needed on both the Framed Grid and the Blocks.

Later on...it will be easier to finish out small nail holes left in the Drywall that it would be to take care of holes made into lumber.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #9 of 19 Old 04-26-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds good. Will pickup supplies tomorrow.

Added these to my list.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...d=3602620&cId=

http://www.lowes.com/pd_41209-98-SUP...ive&facetInfo=

Is one can of 3m adhesive enough for a 60x106" screen?
post #10 of 19 Old 04-27-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjamm View Post

Sounds good. Will pickup supplies tomorrow.

Added these to my list.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...d=3602620&cId=

http://www.lowes.com/pd_41209-98-SUP...ive&facetInfo=

Is one can of 3m adhesive enough for a 60x106" screen?

I hope I caught you in time......

I would strongly advise against using the Spray Contact Adhesive. Since the material is to also be supported at the "Block Points" with finish nails, I would use a flexible, Elastomeric "Adhesive Caulk" spread thinly onto the Grig. If you ever have to remove the Screen, such adhesive will peel off wood. The 3M is going to peel off "WOOD" or leave slice of the Board attached to the wood. Do not doubt it...but do avoid it.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #11 of 19 Old 04-29-2012, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I got the message. After I already had bought the adhesive and boards Will have to make another trip now to return them. Thanks

I got the wall painted, screen mounted. Now gotta work on the silverfire mix and velvet trim and wiring everything through the ceiling and mounting the projector as far away as possible. Heres a couple of pics updating what I've completed. I like the progress so far.

post #12 of 19 Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Why is it necessary to mount the PJ ".......as far away as possible" ???? (21.7')

You'll have a sizable screen, and the varying difference between the highest level and lowest levels of Foot Lambert you'd get off the screen would be 7 fls (28 fls to 21 fls)

Although I'm usually inclined toward placing a screen to within 10% of the closest possible throw distance because of my inclination to use darker Gray surfaces, I'd split the difference in this case at least between 14.4' and 21.7'

BTW....the treatment you gave the Screen wall looks splendid. Mono-paint out this wall plates so they don't jump out a smack you in the nose.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #13 of 19 Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

I have to mount it as far away as possible as my room is only 15' deep and thats the furthest back I can mount it. Unless, I put it in the corner of the room that could add a few extra feet to the mix I guess, just never really thought about putting it anywhere besides dead center 14'6 ft from screen.

It was already almost too bright in some scenes as it hurt my eyes a little.

Heres a pic of the sub'frame wrapped with velcro strips to secure down screen.

Will sand down and paint the wall plates to match. Have to order speaker plugs so I can banana plug my speakers directly to the wall and mount the center channel above the screen.

Now to figure out the trim. Ive got the baseboard you recommended from home depot and 4 yards of fabric... where to start do you do one the length of the bottom of the screen? or add 1.5 inches to each side to do even trim around the screen? I got about 28ft of trim to play with.
post #14 of 19 Old 12-31-2012, 06:44 PM

Nice work OP. Can you please post more pictures of your theater both Lights On/Off. I'm building a Sintra based Screen as well and would be interested in the finished product. Thanks
post #15 of 19 Old 02-17-2013, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for not keeping up with thread! I finished in June to August on my setup. Painted the room,Acutually didnt go with Silverfire and used BlackWidow paint instead on the screen. Got new double ceiling fan, new curtains to block most light during day and the 8 ft memory foam bean bag to go with the theatre chairs.

Only thing left coming is 2 movie posters on each side of the screen and a couple display shelves for my old collectible soda glass bottles.

Here are a couple of the room finished with everything mounted. Photos from camera phone though. Let me know if you want more. I like my setup now that it is complete.

Let me know what you think! Last pic is not representative of what the quality looks like, that was with my camera phone and the pic online shows faded out but much richer in person.
post #16 of 19 Old 02-18-2013, 04:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Get a better camera in play, and show some images that represent as to if you got the performance you needed. Any "TV" shot should still have enough dynamics to show up as being vivid on a Cell Phone Camera, unless the Phone is eons old, or the amount of light being received by the camera is being affected by existing ambient light, causing the camera to overexpose everything. That does not happen when the light output of the screen at center is considerable higher than the existing ambient light..

You do not explain why you went with another, low gain paint choice after acquiring the SF components. Too bad that. Even with having done such an excellent job of darkening the room, the difference would have been significant.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #17 of 19 Old 02-22-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Im guessing the other paint was out of the can?

The mixing and spraying intimidates people. I am comitted to going that route and "Doing it RIGHT, yourself" with my next project. I skimped on my first screen and just projected straight onto BOC. Now when I get my second chance, I'll be able to see what I was missing:)smile.gif.

OP...your room looks great. I hope you don't mind a few "constructive" opinions...

You put in so much work...when you got to the point you are I am sure you were very happy. But there are a few things unfinished that I know would make you even happier with the room...You said you were going to mount the center channel, but it looks like its on top of the sub. Get that thing mounted.

The arches behind your chairs stand out...Why not paint to match the rest of the room?

You didn't paint your speaker outlet cover.

I'd love to have that room. Its awesome, just finish the job.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #18 of 19 Old 02-24-2013, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for lack of update, I had a few people that sent me a PM for an update was trying to help out in a pinch with my cell camera at night. I dont think anyones cell works good in the dark.

Here are a few updated pics from my DSLR - This is kind of a panorama pic taken (sorry had to use flash, took it today at 2am), the change of brightness is the flash and exposure differences but gives a good overall image of the room. Projector wasn't on so didnt get any with the screen on yet. Not sure what the best settings for taking a photo of the screen is.

Overall pic of the room, would have been better if I took during the daylight without the flash. (Click to make larger)

The other paint was not out of the can, it consisted of a paint mixed with fine aluminum. I initially went with it because I could roll it on, but I don't have the technique down so I ended up spraying 3 coats to cover it evenly anyways and still very pleased with the screen. I went with a low gain paint as the projector is still very bright and about 14' from the screen. Blu rays or anything 720p/1080p looks amazing. It was cheaper paint by a bit and the silverfire has reports of a blue-ish tint if mixed improperly.

Yes I am going to mount the center channel still, just have not gotten to it yet. I will mount it in about the same spot but just under the screen. I just have to find a mount that will hold the thing as it is a huge center. It is 11 inches deep, 8 inches tall and almost 22 inches wide. I am going to paint the speaker wires black like the rear wall.

The image does not reflect the darkness of the room. The back wall is dark midnight black and the rest of the room is a very dark greenish color All walls and the ceiling is painted this dark color.. Curtains are also much darker than viewed in the image. Conspirisy, the reason the wall behind the room is not painted to match is because it actually is my living room which is a completely different room 2 stories high. Not feasible to paint to match, and it is behind the projector and doesn't reflect anything. If you notice anything else let me know, I'm slowly doing this over a the weekends and get to it when I can. I have a small checklist of items left I want to do.

I painted the electrical plugs black just have not gotten to the speaker plate, but since it is behind the subwoofer when sitting I dont see it and it doesnt bother me yet smile.gif

I just mounted the two movie picture frames tonight. 27x40 black 2.5" wide border Spotlight frames. Went and mounted with the new OZ and the old Wizard of OZ for now.

Attached are a few more pics of detailed items. (Click to make larger)

post #19 of 19 Old 02-24-2013, 04:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Even if you make minor mistake making Silver Fire and get a slight blue tint, a quick question here would help you resolve it. It would seem that whoever told you about a blue tint failed to mention that.

It is far better to start out with a screen that have positive gain, because it allows you to run your projector on low lamp mode, which is essentially calibrating for the very best and black levels.

Also, as your bulb ages, a sub 1.0 gain screen will become increasingly duller, and your image will start to lose its dynamic character.

It is a bit confusing that you did not bother to come back on here to express any concerns after all the help you have been given. Usually when or if that happens, it is because somewhere else someone else has related to the DIY'er some wrong or misleading information, therein instilling doubts and sometimes no small degree of fear.

In any case, you seem to be where you want to be at present, and no one can nor should construe that as being anything but a good thing. Just be sure to remember which Forum provided you with the majority of your help, and come back here if you have any particular concerns.

We have the best and most original DIY Screen applications, bar none. (...and we we got there first, with the best...)

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page