Cheap screen help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-24-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Need some help with my very cheap screen. I bought a roller black out blind from ikea and it was performing amazingly, but i now have these ripples showing on pan shots. They werent there before, im thinking that it is obviously slight waves in the material. The blind gets rolled up after use everytime so was hoping it would "iron" out the creases after each use.

I only paid £30 for the blind and really dont have a lot of funds so need some advice from another budget user.

Im using an optoma gt750.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by langers_2004 View Post

Hi all,

Need some help with my very cheap screen. I bought a roller black out blind from ikea and it was performing amazingly, but i now have these ripples showing on pan shots. They werent there before, im thinking that it is obviously slight waves in the material. The blind gets rolled up after use everytime so was hoping it would "iron" out the creases after each use.

I only paid £30 for the blind and really dont have a lot of funds so need some advice from another budget user.

Im using an optoma gt750.

Repeated ironing of vinyl material isn't going to work for long...because the degree of heat required each time will further deform the material. Stretching the material slightly during use is the better solution.

The best suggestion is to try attaching a weighted bar across the bottom edge of the material when it's lowered, and when rolling it up, do so with care so as to make it roll up as evenly as possible.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 15 Old 04-26-2012, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Ok spot on thanks. So replace the wooden bar with something heavier. Its a very big blind so i thought the weight of itself would stop these waves but clearly not.
post #4 of 15 Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 PM

I have a similar setup in that it's a screen hanging with a weight on the bottom. It is clear from experimenting that the ripples are caused because there is no lateral stretch.

This might be super ghetto for you but you could fashion some kind of clips on elastic to clip to the edges of the blind and pull the sides. Think binder clips on long rubberbands connected to a wall or something. You'd want it to pull straight and in the same plane but it would probably work. The more the better. I haven't tested something like this because the walls I would need to attach to are brick.

This opinion is from the mind of a poor college student. Binder clips on rubber bands wouldn't be the most ghetto thing I have jury rigged up.

Edit: Also, if you are looking for long cheap weights, places like Lowes have really cheap wood yard sticks for <1$ a piece that have some decent weight. You could try hanging those on the bottom.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-26-2012, 06:45 PM

Liked: 11
Electrical and other types of conduit, comes in long lengths and I have seen it in 1-inch thru 2-inch dia for cheap. You could fill it with cement, sand, pennys, nickels or whatever, then cap the ends. This would make for quite a heavy bar.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-27-2012, 04:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Nickles!

I wonder what that would amount to?

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 15 Old 04-27-2012, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 428
You should just make a wood frame, buy a staple gun and 1000 staples, cut the blind off at the top and stretch it over the wodden frame. The results will be everything you want and the project won't cost over 100 bucks.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #8 of 15 Old 04-27-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

You should just make a wood frame, buy a staple gun and 1000 staples, cut the blind off at the top and stretch it over the wooden frame. The results will be everything you want and the project won't cost over 100 bucks.

That would be an obvious thing to do, however it seems that the use of a inexpensive Roller Blind was specifically intended because of a need to roll up the screen between uses.

Bushi gave a suggestion that parallels what a Tab Tensioned screen dies...pull "sideways". But also once again, the need for langers_2004 to roll up the material, and the lack of a design/enclosure to accommodate any DIY Pins & Bands and Strings makes that a unworkable solution.

No...langers_2004 only real hope is that a significant amount of added weight across the bottom will reduce if not wholly elliminate the existing waves he's getting.

If not....then perhaps he will be willing...if not sooner then later....getting something / making something that will be more appropriate for his needs.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #9 of 15 Old 04-27-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Great ideas :-) The sode supports would be brilliant but one side of the screen is the door to the room so not a great solution lol

Perhaps i will try weights in the bottom of the screen. The screen rolls down infront of my plasma so it needs to roll up again :-)

I think i will try lots of 1p coins or 5p coins in the bottom. Or perhaps i could fill rubber glove fingers with cement and thread these in?

I assume stapling this blind to another blind would not be an option? In the effort to make it thicker.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-27-2012, 05:18 PM

How big is the screen ?

There are threads on this forum by people that have made fold-up-and-away screens.
The top edge is hooked to the ceiling with a hinge so you can swing it up and down. When not in use, it is swung up to the ceiling and the bottom edge has a clasp/lock that holds it in place.

This would allow you to use a rigid frame for your screen.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-30-2012, 04:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yeah...I'd like to see the OP go solid......but it seems that a Roll Up is preferred.

It seems he's living in "Ol Blighty", and if so...and he's in a CITY sized "Flat" or "Walk-up" he just might have problems using the ceiling for "Fold Up" storage.

Not a lot of sizable real estate over there for most people unless they be Lords or Ladies.

......or Football Club owners.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #12 of 15 Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Yeah...I'd like to see the OP go solid......but it seems that a Roll Up is preferred.

It seems he's living in "Ol Blighty", and if so...and he's in a CITY sized "Flat" or "Walk-up" he just might have problems using the ceiling for "Fold Up" storage.

Not a lot of sizable real estate over there for most people unless they be Lords or Ladies.

......or Football Club owners.

I see your point MississippiMan, and I think I have the solution.
The all new, MM-Murphy-Screen-Bed...Theres a 120 inch silver monster under your bed, and we call him..MississippiMan...LOL
post #13 of 15 Old 05-01-2012, 02:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Under the bed, in the closet... you gotta hide when you gotta hide where you gotta hide,
....... but Monster? Well, I suppose I have been called worse.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #14 of 15 Old 05-01-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Under the bed, in the closet... you gotta hide when you gotta hide where you gotta hide,
....... but Monster? Well, I suppose I have been called worse.

No, you are not a monster, in fact, when theres a problem, you are our #1 demon killer.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-01-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The big picture View Post

No, you are not a monster, in fact, when theres a problem, your our #1 demon killer.

I represent that remark....nuk...nuk...nuk...nuk...nuk.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page