ULTRA CHEAP HVLP rig, today only $35 shipped - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-15-2012, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From "Daily Steals", they're listing a 650 watt HVLP sprayer for $30 plus $5 shipping. I haven't used it, can't comment on the quality. I suppose it would hang together at least long enough to shoot a screen.

Go to: home.dailysteals.com/

Sorry, I don't have enough posts to link anything...

Condition: New
Packaging: Box
Warranty: 1 Year

Product Features:
Simple one touch operation
Advanced spray technology
Eliminates need for rollers
Ultra-light
Portable
Reach tight corners and angles with 3-way direct dial sprayhead
No drip application for easy cleanup
Industrial strength
Paint on any surface you want
For indoor and outdoor use
Powerful 650 watt motor
32000rpm
800ml tank

What You Get:
650 Watt Professional Paint Sprayer
Shoulder Strap
Manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-15-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
650 watts doesn't tell me much, but my guess is they know that. What you really need to know is CFM and PSI. Still it might be cheap enough to take a flyer on.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #3 of 10 Old 05-15-2012, 12:25 PM

I look forward to someone more educated commenting as it seems like a great deal for just painting a screen.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-15-2012, 12:28 PM

Amazon Link to same sprayer

According to the reviews I'll be avoid this item
post #5 of 10 Old 05-16-2012, 08:04 PM

Liked: 11
I wouldn't spend my money on it, but I bet you could get it to function at least temporarily if you got the right Zahn cup, and dialed your viscosity in just right. Problem is a one stage like that likely would need the material thinned to such a low viscosity that several coats would be required to get adequate coverage.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-16-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 204
A total waste of time when $15.00 more gets you the well proven "No Name" (Graco 2900) w/metal Tip...interchangeable various sized Tips (opt) and loads of success stories to back it up.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #7 of 10 Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgse3 View Post

I wouldn't spend my money on it, but I bet you could get it to function at least temporarily if you got the right Zahn cup, and dialed your viscosity in just right. Problem is a one stage like that likely would need the material thinned to such a low viscosity that several coats would be required to get adequate coverage.

Agreed, which goes for pretty much all one stages which includes the no name.

One thing you could do is buy two or three and put the motors in series or parallel. I think Apollo does this on one of their rigs to get increased power. At $100, it might be a fun experiment.

post #8 of 10 Old 05-17-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

Agreed, which goes for pretty much all one stages which includes the no name.

But in fact it doesn't. Unless you have specific experience with the HV2900, you should not make such assumptions.

I have had several iterations of Electric HVLP rigs, and have direct experience with both 2 Stage and Single Stage Turbine units. The HV2900 paints just as good a pattern, and at just about as high an output as The Wagner Control Spray Plus, as well as the Control Spray "Max". Both of which I own, BTW. As well as a HV2900 (my 3rd...I've given away 2...)

The original all in one Wagner Control Spray was pretty anemic...but worked well enough to paint screens upward and beyond 200" using the thinned paints as prescribed. The "Double Duty" added a higher Flow Rate and larger Needle / Nozzle and increased performance by 2x minimum. Taking the smaller Needle/Nozzle Head from a original CS and putting it onto a Double Duty unit was a match up made for faster, more effective spraying...but with a finer mist.

The "Plus" simply upped the Flow Rate by almost double again...because it was/is a 2-Stage unit.

That's the Wagner 95% of my own screens have been painted with the last 3 years. The last 5% have all been with the 2900 by virtue of it's power, diminutive size, affordability, and it's Brass Needle / Metal Nozzle assembly.

It's a fantastic unit for the "Re-furb" price, and performs like spray rigs costing 3x as much.

It does not deserve to be lumped in with ultra-cheap, "Toy-like" sprayers, and try as hard as you might to find one, I can recall seeing not a single negative response on this Forum coming from anyone about having purchased one and having used it for screen painting in over the last 1-1/2 years it's been available for $49.95.

Would that the track record of the original Control Spray had been so pristine. To it's credit though, it certainly filled a nitch need for many of us, but we all benefit from nothing so much as all of us keeping watch out for value added purchases that just serve to make our projects easier, quicker, and less expensive to deal with, all the while as they serve to assure us of better results than we might otherwise have a right to expect.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #9 of 10 Old 05-17-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not sure I ever recommended the Wagner Control Spray or any Wagner. IIRC I said it might be better than the lower priced Wagner.

Wood Worker Mag tested a lot of turbine sprayers and most worked adequately including the single stages like the Rockler that I also own. Of course, the single stages had to be thinned a lot more than the more expensive turbines.

You just accused me of not using the no name sprayer and lumping it in with this turbine. This is true, as I have not used either turbine. Of course, you just called this turbine a toy compared to the no name without having used the Zoom. I have used the Rockler which is a one stage and another one stage along with a two stage turbine. The fact is I can get any of these to work, but the results are going to be far superior with a better system.

Anyway, I disobeyed my self-imposed moratorium from your forum. My apologies for posting.

post #10 of 10 Old 05-17-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

So you think my statement was "accusatory"?

That's pretty silly, really...as I merely stated you were making an assumption, and even that comment was based on a "unless you....".

It's responses like yours to basic, courteous rebuttals that try to initiate issues when there are none. It's not new...

BTW, personally...and fyi, I don't "own" or "Run" this Forum. To make a comment alluding to such is also silly...but in keeping with the past. No...you have to look elsewhere to find a group who wanted (...or had to...) to find a comfortable spot where they could "Run" a Forum as "They" saw fit...when they found they could not do so here.

In any case, the Zoom HVLP in question is universally derided as being "junk", with not a single positive review to be found. That's so markedly the opposite of the HV2900's (...a Sprayer some who dwell elsewhere have seemingly embraced...) reputation that no more really needs to be said about it.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page