Outdoor rear projection setup - Euro 2012!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-28-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys and girls,

I am looking to setup a relatively low cost rear projection outdoor big screen for the Euro 2012 football tournament. I have an Epson 8500 UB and will be watching these games with friends in the early evening in my garden next to the BBQ - no bright sunlight at all. I have a projection distance of 2 meters and am aiming for a 70 inch diagonal image (smaller is ok down to say 40 inches).

I have done a fair bit of reading on the forums and think that spray painting acrylic with silver fire is a bit outside my skill set (not to mention the paints needed arent readily available in the UK). If there any cheap high contrast alternatives to projector films like 3M Vikuiti I would go for that. I quite like the glass screen concept.

I'd appreciate any help - people have been discussing this every summer since Mississipiman's thread in 2006 or so. Am sure there is new progress out there these days?

Many thanks :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-29-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 205
hello ay129,

Not much available in the "Cheap" genre as far as "miracle Films" or Plastic sheeting, but recently many have had quite a bit of success using Gray Spandex as screen material. Although most everyone has used it as "Front Projection" material, it also has excelent Rear projection qualities....leastwise as far as the cost-to-performance-to-ease of construction goes.

Painting a Rear Projection surface onto acrylic plastic still works great....but the issue is getting an exceedingly fine mist to build up evenly over several "Dusting" applications. Any uneveness and the banding that comes from uneven rows can plague the image with observable lines and shadowy areas.

With a two meter throw distance, you should try to place the PJ as low to the bottom of the screen as possible, tilt the PJ, and use keystone adjustments to square the image. Any PJ bright enough to push a decent image through cloth...or any other sutible material will tend to show a bright spot behind the screen surface, unless the angle of the lens is below / above the "eye's" general viewing height.

Another "Cheapie" is Frosted White or Gray Vinyl Shower Curtains.

Experimenting can be fun...as long as the cost of doing so doesn't exceed the end result's net worth.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page