I built an acoustically transparent screen - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #61 of 80 Old 01-20-2014, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As for SPL changes at certain frequencies, even without Atmos, removing the grills behind the screen should compensate for at least some of the frequency interaction with the screen. My biggest issue is finding time with other projects I have to building the screen wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 Old 01-20-2014, 09:29 PM

Liked: 43
Just wanted to give credit where credit is due!
Alan you motivated me to try this for myself using a similar approach for the screen!
Thanks for the details you've provided here!
You can see my calibrated results in the 120" Spandex thread.
post #63 of 80 Old 01-25-2014, 03:01 PM

Can you please let me know what should be done to place a Bowers and Wilkins 683 floor standing speakers and CM center speaker behind the screen. Should Baffle board built for it? I have not build the screen yet. The wall size is 12.5' X 7' after framed. It is a 9' basement celling. The room length is 24'.
post #64 of 80 Old 01-25-2014, 05:41 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 415
You will need to build supportive shelving suspends the Floor Standers above the bottom edge of the screen, and the Center Channel at approximately "Screen Center".

The screen itself should be hung so that the Speakers are at or slightly less than 2" from the inside surface.

The only reason you would need a Baffle would be because the Speakers need enclosing....or that the Screen was going to stand off the wall more than 2' and supportive shelving could not be built to be that deep.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #65 of 80 Old 01-26-2014, 05:05 PM

Do I need the baffle even if the speaker has a enclosure? Please check the speaker in the following link.
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/600_Series/683.html
Can you please suggest a link explain step by step instructions to make 16:9 acoustically transparent screen with 150" diagonal. The LCD projector is Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB Projector. Basement_personal_latest.jpg 383k .jpg file
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement_personal_latest.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	383.4 KB
ID:	75256  
post #66 of 80 Old 01-27-2014, 01:00 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Are you able to suspend Floor Standing speakers on a wall? A "Baffle" can denote a constructed surface with openings and supportive shelves.

The 6500 really doesn't have the lumen output to drive a DIY AT Screen of 150" diagonal. Even at the shortest throw distance possible you will only be able to achieve 9 foot lambert of reflective brightness.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #67 of 80 Old 02-02-2014, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Latest on my room is I have installed both wide and high front speakers.

Watching the Super Bowl in Audessy DSX mode and the hight speakers are alive with stadium noise!

Mitsubishi 3800 projector onto 103 inch DIY AT screen.
Marantz 8802A 7.3.4. Sound ably handled with legacy Minimus 77 and Minimus 7 speakers
DIY IB sub system. Two pairs of Dayton 15 inch and one pair of JBL 12 inch.
Power amps used are Harman Kardon Signature 2.1 Kenwood KM-X1 Kenwood KM 106 Hafler DH200
post #68 of 80 Old 02-03-2014, 06:02 PM

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by awblackmon View Post

Latest on my room is I have installed both wide and high front speakers.

Watching the Super Bowl in Audessy DSX mode and the hight speakers are alive with stadium noise!

Very nice! I look forward to doing the same in my next house with a new Onkyo 5510 or newer model when I move in about a year. (thats why my current setup was made with a temporary free standing AT screen!)
post #69 of 80 Old 09-01-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello awblackmon and phatboy...
Not sure if this thread is still alive... however, im dreaming. Of bbuilding my own ht room with a at screen.
Your posts are inspirational and make me feel i can do it too.

My basement is unfinished. It has a 24' x 23' area covered by concrete walls on two sides. I plan to/want to build a baffle wall behind the screen to house the speakers. I have the energy RC-70 speakers 7 of them for LCR + Surround + Rear Surround.

Do u recommend a baffle in my situation?
post #70 of 80 Old 09-01-2014, 05:47 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

At 23' or 24', either amounts to a very sizable Baffle Wall, one that will demand enough support to actually obtain true "Partition Wall" status.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #71 of 80 Old 02-19-2015, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

So just to update my room I have some more recent shots. My screen is still the same. I have no reason to change it. I have updated my speakers to prepare for Atmos or DTS:X. The wood grain speakers you see in this shot are hanging from a rail I installed on the ceiling. I have skylights that were a challenge so I decided to install a wood rail and hang the speakers.

As I have mentioned before I have built a infinite baffle subwoofer system. On the lower left of screen you can see the cover over one pair. Above the screen is another pair. A third pair is in the wall out of the shot to the left.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0009 2 2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	556601  

Marantz 8802A 7.3.4. Sound ably handled with legacy Minimus 77 and Minimus 7 speakers
Power amps used are Harman Kardon Signature 2.1 Kenwood KM-X1 Kenwood KM 106 Hafler DH200
post #72 of 80 Old 02-19-2015, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Name:	DSCF0010.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	556609

The skylights were a challenge but this is what I did to overcome that. I used fishing line to hang the speakers on the wood rail. You may recognize the speakers as the Minimus 7W speakers. Yeah, they are a bit beat up, but they sound great still. I replaced the caps in the Xover due to their age. I am pretty tall and with the small size of the speakers they are still above my head when I walk into the room. I have a front pair and a back pair on the rail. I ordered a speaker plate with banana plugs from Monoprice and you can see the plate near the front speaker. I ran the wire to the back speaker on top of the wood rail. You can see a cleat above the speaker. This cleat was used to place a screw up into a ceiling joist.

post #73 of 80 Old 02-19-2015, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Name:	DSCF0006 2 2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	556633

A different shot of the speaker rail. For now only the front pair is being used. The back pair is not in use yet. I have the front pair configured as front hight speaker for DTS NEO:X You may be able to make out a pair of speakers above the screen. They are not connected to any amps. They are just being stored there just like the top back pair. I kind of hope that there may be a future screen hight speaker with DTS:X. I have a fantasy of there being 15 speakers plus 2 subs. 17 channels altogether. That would be L/C/R behind the screen. Two wide front speakers. Two high front speakers. Four over head with a pair just in front and a pair just behind my seating position. A pair of side surround. Another pair for back surround. This may never happen but I now have all the speakers already installed for such a system.

I will be working on some sound absorbers in the spring. For now I am working on other projects around the house the wife is wanting to get done. You know how it is. I don't mind though. The house is looking pretty nice. She has a brand spanking new scrapbooking room. We are making the old room into a new guest bedroom. The second bathroom is getting fresh paint. The front entry is going to have wainscoting up soon. We are also replacing the cheap crappy baseboards the builder put in all the rooms. Busy, busy.

post #74 of 80 Old 05-15-2015, 04:34 AM

Liked: 0
Information on DIY AT Screen Fabric

Dear Sir,
I am Samrat from India and very much inspired with you DIY approach.

I am in process to set up my HT room. Now for me is the time to make the Screen. I would like to get some more information on the Screen Material you used. Which one to prefer Spandex or Ponte fabric? I would like to go for AT type as I need to place LCR behind the Screen.

Kindly guide.

Regards,
Samrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by awblackmon View Post
Attachment 556633

A different shot of the speaker rail. For now only the front pair is being used. The back pair is not in use yet. I have the front pair configured as front hight speaker for DTS NEO:X You may be able to make out a pair of speakers above the screen. They are not connected to any amps. They are just being stored there just like the top back pair. I kind of hope that there may be a future screen hight speaker with DTS:X. I have a fantasy of there being 15 speakers plus 2 subs. 17 channels altogether. That would be L/C/R behind the screen. Two wide front speakers. Two high front speakers. Four over head with a pair just in front and a pair just behind my seating position. A pair of side surround. Another pair for back surround. This may never happen but I now have all the speakers already installed for such a system.

I will be working on some sound absorbers in the spring. For now I am working on other projects around the house the wife is wanting to get done. You know how it is. I don't mind though. The house is looking pretty nice. She has a brand spanking new scrapbooking room. We are making the old room into a new guest bedroom. The second bathroom is getting fresh paint. The front entry is going to have wainscoting up soon. We are also replacing the cheap crappy baseboards the builder put in all the rooms. Busy, busy.
post #75 of 80 Old 05-15-2015, 05:41 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsakk View Post
Dear Sir,

I am in process to set up my HT room. Now for me is the time to make the Screen. I would like to get some more information on the Screen Material you used. Which one to prefer Spandex or Ponte fabric? I would like to go for AT type as I need to place LCR behind the Screen.

Kindly guide.

Regards,
Samrat

Samrat,

Ponte Fabric is a fabric that is comprised of a blend of 3 materials, 65% Rayon / 31% Nylon / 4% Spandex. It have a very minimal stretch capability, and is not a porous as Miliskin Spandex. Also, it's weave is a bit more apparent.

Miliskin Spandex is a blend of 2 materials, 80% Nylon, 20% Spandex. It is much smoother and texture free than Ponte, and stretches considerably more in all four directions.

Most importantly, Milliskin Spandex has been thoroughly tested for acoustic transparency and has been found to be excellent, even better in some cases than expensive, less forgiving Mfg AT material.

If you can access Milliskin Spandex at the given ratio of Nylon / Spandex, you would be well advised to do so.

Milliskin Spandex is applied in a "2 layer" manner, usually Matte White over Matte Silver or matte White over Black.
samsakk likes this.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #76 of 80 Old 05-15-2015, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsakk View Post
Dear Sir,

Kindly guide.

Regards,
Samrat
Hi Samrat

Good to hear from you and thank you for your kind words. Mississippiman is right about spandex being a better fabric for screen builds. I originally used the ponte fabric but later changed it to a spandex fabric. I feel the spandex is a much better fabric to use. I of course don't know what may be available to you in India but hopefully spandex is world wide enough that you can find it there. It did stretch very well. Much better than the ponte fabric. The acoustic transparency of spandex is very good. I hope your theater build goes well. Perhaps one day you may share with us your build
I have the two layers that Mississippiman mentioned. I did a white over black but that was to dark for me. I rebuilt the screen and did a white over silver and was much happier. I really enjoy this hobby and it is good to see it is a hobby that others around the world also enjoy.
samsakk likes this.

Last edited by awblackmon; 05-15-2015 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Add information.
post #77 of 80 Old 05-16-2015, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awblackmon View Post
Hi Samrat

Good to hear from you and thank you for your kind words. Mississippiman is right about spandex being a better fabric for screen builds. I originally used the ponte fabric but later changed it to a spandex fabric. I feel the spandex is a much better fabric to use. I of course don't know what may be available to you in India but hopefully spandex is world wide enough that you can find it there. It did stretch very well. Much better than the ponte fabric. The acoustic transparency of spandex is very good. I hope your theater build goes well. Perhaps one day you may share with us your build
I have the two layers that Mississippiman mentioned. I did a white over black but that was to dark for me. I rebuilt the screen and did a white over silver and was much happier. I really enjoy this hobby and it is good to see it is a hobby that others around the world also enjoy.
Sir,
Thank you for your reply. Actually I have ordered some sample Spandex to come. In fact I have ordered from USA. After getting the samples I will find similar product in my Country. My initial plan was to have 16:9 format 110 inch diagonal non AT screen but after reading some post in this forum I am now motivated to build a 2.235:1 Curve screen with approx screen size of 125 inch diagonal.

I will post actual screen size after taking final area calculation. Kindly refer some DIY Curve screen built process if possible.

Thank u for your advise.

Regards,
Samrat
post #78 of 80 Old 05-16-2015, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Samrat,

Ponte Fabric is a fabric that is comprised of a blend of 3 materials, 65% Rayon / 31% Nylon / 4% Spandex. It have a very minimal stretch capability, and is not a porous as Miliskin Spandex. Also, it's weave is a bit more apparent.

Miliskin Spandex is a blend of 2 materials, 80% Nylon, 20% Spandex. It is much smoother and texture free than Ponte, and stretches considerably more in all four directions.

Most importantly, Milliskin Spandex has been thoroughly tested for acoustic transparency and has been found to be excellent, even better in some cases than expensive, less forgiving Mfg AT material.

If you can access Milliskin Spandex at the given ratio of Nylon / Spandex, you would be well advised to do so.

Milliskin Spandex is applied in a "2 layer" manner, usually Matte White over Matte Silver or matte White over Black.
Sir,
Thank you for your reply.
I am looking for budget AT screen. Now I will find spandex material in India and go with it. Can I make a Curve 2.35:1 scope screen out of it? My Screen size will be approx - 125 inch diagonal?

At the same time I am making DIY Projector having Ful HD feature. Lets see how it goes.

Thank you again.

Regads,
Samrat
post #79 of 80 Old 06-29-2015, 11:24 AM

Hi I am trying to do my own AT screen, awblackmon these posts have been great! I have BOSE in wall speakers built in do i need to have a baffle wall? Can I just do the white and black spandex screen?
post #80 of 80 Old 06-29-2015, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dip Patel View Post
Hi I am trying to do my own AT screen, awblackmon these posts have been great! I have BOSE in wall speakers built in do i need to have a baffle wall? Can I just do the white and black spandex screen?
There is no need to do a baffle wall. Simply make the screen and hang in front of the in-wall speakers using French cleats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section