Off the shelf screen paint - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-29-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all.

I have a Acer k330 and I am looking to put around 110' screen up. If I were to purchase the dalite high contrast cinema vision fabric im looking at $300. Is there a simple ROLL ON grey or silver paint that will give me a good picture?

Any advice is appreciated even if it's to have them mix something at HD or Lowes. BTW im in TN with limited HT stores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-29-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Do you have a Sherwin Williams Store anywhere? Lowes is good.

Both locations have White Acrylic Latex Enamel "Bases" that can be Tinted with a light neutral Gray (8.0) and still cme very close to being at least a unity 1.0 gain surface.

Which you need because of the 500 lumen spec of the k330. But as far as any actual "Silver" paints....none are "Rollable" and certainly none are "affordable" either. To get the advanage of "Silver" it has to be blended into a Mix at certain various proportions and/or percentages. Your not going to find any such Mfg. paint anywhere with that sort variabilty or make-up.

Sorry to have break it to you.....but the one higher performance DIY Screen paint app that would serve you best....RS-MaxxMudd LL, would require sorcing some few paints. In your case....through the Internet for Home delivery. Everything else...it's all at Lowes or HD.

RS-MaxxMudd has the Silver and Pearl you need for gain (1.3-1.4) and a slight Whitish-Silvery-Gray hue as well. But more importantly its the only advanced DIY Paint with that level of gain that can be rolled. So if you want to extend your effort out a bit, you could acheive something very much specifically advanageous to your cause.

And I'll venture to say....from the experiences so many have provided testimony with, you'll get out of this experience the same measure of that what you instill into it....or more.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 6 Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

i actually read about the Sherwin wiliams Proclassic Smooth Enamel Satin Finish(acrylic). Its a white paint used for trim and its rollable and produces a very good picture apparently. any experience with it?
post #4 of 6 Old 05-30-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrymxer View Post

i actually read about the Sherwin wiliams Proclassic Smooth Enamel Satin Finish(acrylic). Its a white paint used for trim and its rollable and produces a very good picture apparently. any experience with it?

A little,,,,but only as used within a composite mix, no "stand alone".

But it has had a few very good reviews from those who have tried it (notwithstanding PC) and if you can slide by on using a White surface, it's probably as close to a sure thing as your gonna find.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 6 Old 06-01-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

im gonna try it once we get in our house in a couple weeks. ill post pics and review
post #6 of 6 Old 06-01-2012, 11:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrymxer View Post

im gonna try it once we get in our house in a couple weeks. ill post pics and review

Great news. I'm sure many will appreciate the effort you make to illuminate them.

We'll be looking forward to your posting!

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page