White painted Aluminium Sheets for front projection screen material - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-09-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pre painted aluminum sheets come in 1500x3000mm size (giving you about 110" diagonal taking masking and other factors in effect) painted in RAL 9010 white but are rather glossy.
For me it would be the easiest solution of making a fixed frame screen and i've tested projecting a image on a small sheet i have here at home and the bright colors look simply amazing compared to the white painted wall but like expected the darker colors are slightly more washed out.
Although pre painted aluminium isn't the cheapest material in town it does give the benefit of removing the frame so to speak from the equation.
How can i find out the gain of the material or just simply if it is too glossy ?
and has anybody tried this before?

Specs
Acer PH730
white walls & ceiling excluding the wall where screen would come that is brown blackout cloth

Regards from the land of ice and snow
Ólafur Marteinsson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-10-2012, 01:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Another new Member / Poster! We all give you a hearty welcome to AVS's DIY Screen Forum!

The Laminated Aluminum sheets have been used before, but always with some variety of paint coating. Sounds like your trying to use the Glossy surface, and if so....yes, it's too Glossy. The "Baked On" White is almost "Mirror-like" in gloss on the sheets I have used. They do offer a "Glass Smooth" substrate that won't ever warp or bow, but they also can be dented (...though it does take quite lick to do so....) They are heavier than most similarly sized materials, so although they are rigid and require no supporting Framework, they can be a bit more difficult to mount suspended on a wall.

But if done right, the AL Panels can be made into nifty "Zero Edge" screens, and if the correct paint is chosen and applied correctly, perform with exceptional ambient light resistance.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page