My ongoing newbie projector blog... - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 57 Old 07-11-2012, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hahaha well put. I should have known that if it was that good everyone would be using them for the price. Depending on how I like this spandex when I put it up this weekend I will prob be going the screen painting route if it doesn't do it for me. At least i know the sprayer is good for a few things. I feel like my BOC screen that I had hanging from the ceiling would have looked much better had I at least tried to cover the walls with something to keep the light from reflecting back. I guess I will find out this weekend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 07-11-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
At least you're going with Spandex, I'm currently rocking the beige bed sheet screen. tongue.gif
post #33 of 57 Old 07-15-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I've watched a couple movies now with the kids in the basement. We watched SD rips of The Incredibles and The Mummy. Now I'm irritated that I moved the PJ forward a stud. Now at max-zoom I can't quite fill the screen horizontally. There's a couple inches on each side of the screen that aren't lit. I know, some people would say, "Really? You're complaining about a screen being 104" wide instead of 108" wide?" One of the Super Walmarts by me has black felt on clearance at $3 a yard and I was just going to buy whatever they have left of the bolt (provided it's at least 3+ yards) and just frame it in at the 104". Moving the PJ back requires a lot more work, but that's what my gut tells me that I should do. Spend the hour or two doing that so I can zoom the image to the width of the screen.
post #34 of 57 Old 07-16-2012, 08:20 AM

I would recommend moving it. I actually moved mine back 2' and am thinking of moving it back even more. The zoom isn't bad but it is definitely towards the max. If I can get it back another foot or so then I would be right around 1.55x zoom. It definitely looks crisper to my eyes when it isn't max zoomed out.
post #35 of 57 Old 07-16-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, I'm probably going to move it, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm not in the biggest hurry right now. I sold my remaining ceiling gridwork system yesterday. After all was said and done, it cost me less than $50 to put my drop ceiling in my approximately 12x18 foot room. Can't complain about that. My concrete side wall and back wall (which will be a false-wall) are going to be full length floor-to-ceiling curtains. I will probably just buy a couple panels every paycheck until it's done, not in a hurry, and it allows me to hide it from the marshal (wife) which is always good. smile.gif

I'm planning on going with alternating black and I think blue panels and the blue will determine the paint color on the drywall that I put up to keep it consistent.

Looking at some other people's DIY theaters on this forum over the weekend made me discouraged that theirs look so awesome. I have to keep reminding myself that I will end up with a theater in my basement with a 124" diagonal screen for probably less than $500 when everything is done.
post #36 of 57 Old 07-16-2012, 11:39 AM

Exactly! I was really happy with how my paint turned out. The old 70's flooring scared the crap out of me with trying to pick out colors but today when I walked in there it is just awesome. It's amazing what some thought and paint will do to a room. As long as you're happy (and of course the marshall) that's all that matters. My screen ended up being 138" and I got really lucky that the eletrical plugs in the front of the room allowed me clearance. WHen they did the room they put 1x3" wood as the frame and layed them flat so the wood paneling is only 1" form the wall. needless to say not enough room for outlets to lay recessed
post #37 of 57 Old 07-16-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

$71.88 worth of curtains have been purchased for a whopping 8 panels. Yeesh. I went with the dark blue to counter the black. The panels are each 40"x84". The 84" is too long, but that's what the box of safety pins I bought is for. I'm guessing that since I want the pleated "movie theater wall" look I probably won't get much more than 20" per panel. We'll have to see when I get them up. I'm planning on just securing a wire to one end of the room and running it to an eye-hook at the other end and then using weight to tension it. That may or may not work, but we shall see. The wire/eyehook combo doesn't cost me anything as I already have it at home, so that will be what I try first. I also picked up a gallon of this paint from Home Depot. It's actually quite a bit darker than on my computer screen and it's a pretty darn close match to the blue curtain panels that I picked up. I should be able to get the paint up tonight while my wife is at work. Not sure that I'll have time to tackle the curtains as I still have some other stuff to figure out.

I'm still trying to come up with ideas for attaching ends to 1/2" EMT conduit which seems to be more of a challenge than I first thought. I'll come up with something.

Some of you guys might wonder what the heck I'm doing, and some may even wonder why I explain what I'm doing because some of my ideas are really off-the-wall, but if I can spark ideas for other people, I consider that a win for me.

**EDIT** Oh yeah, just so I could be a pain-in-the-side of the paint guy at Home Depot, I told him that I wanted that color in the cheapest paint he had. He ended up having to scan the color swatch from the Behr display so that the computer could mix it with Glidden paint. He also didn't have the right base paint so he had to recalculate it with the step-up that he had in stock and he knocked off the price difference for me.
post #38 of 57 Old 07-17-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got a lot more done last night that I thought. I got the walls painted, but I think they'll need another coat. That's no big deal, I'll probably throw another coat on this week. I also got the curtains up, which was more of a pain than I wanted, but about as much of a pain as I figured. I did a quick wash/dry on them to get the creases out then ran the wire through them and attached the wires on the ends of the room. Those curtains turned out to be a lot heavier than I figured as no matter how hard I pulled the wire, I couldn't get them up to the ceiling without figuring I was just going to break something.

Out came the hammer drill and the anchors. I ended up scrunching the 40" panels down to 24" to just match the ceiling tiles. I put a hole then an anchor and a screw in right below the ceiling and then "hung" the wire on the screw. Seems to work pretty well. I have a little sag, but over the course of 24", it's not too bad. I can see some of the white wall behind it though, so I'm going to try to tweak it a little bit. The curtains are also too long, so I'm going to fold them up behind themselves and use a few safety pins to hold them.

Now I guess it's time to focus on my movable panels and keep my eyes peeled on Craigslist for cheap carpet to throw down there.
post #39 of 57 Old 07-19-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ran into a snag last night. I was going to put up my grey sheet right over the beige sheet and as I was pulling it tight and stapling it I noticed the there were visible indentations where I pulled it and stapled it. I was also getting a lot of rippling. I came to the conclusion that every cloth exhibits different stretching characteristics. I got 3 sides staples on and then I walked away frustrated and I was tired and wanted a break. A while later I went back and tried stretching it again, but not as taut and it seemed better. I will probably try to stretch the 4th side tonight and I think I'm going to roll another coat of paint tonight too. Or I'll just drink beer. Worst case I just order 3 yards of Spandex and go that route which is around $40 with shipping. Too bad they don't have free shipping codes. tongue.gif

I almost scored some awesome carpet too. Someone on Craigslist was selling grey/black random pattern (hard to describe) 24"x24" carpet tiles for $1 each but it was in a neighboring city Craigslist that I don't check all that often so by the time I contacted him, he said that he just sold what he had. Bummer. He said he has some grey/brown ones which would work, but I can't get over there (about 75 minutes from where I work) during business hours. frown.gif
post #40 of 57 Old 07-23-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, I tightened up the sheet and it seems to be good. I also started working on my idea for the semi-automatic panels but it didn't take long for me to realize that my idea might just not work like I had planned. My servo motors weren't strong enough to raise a hunk of conduit, and while I could fashion some sort of lighter rigid material, I'm just not sure it's worth the effort. The setup also at this point cuts off a couple inches off the top of my screen and while it's not that big of a deal, the reward for a whole mess of work might just be a slightly smaller screen. Right now I have a 124" 16:9 screen and I might just frame it in with some black velvet I bought and call it done. Sure, it doesn't have the sweet geek factor of movable panels, but I'm fairly certain that nobody (mainly my kids) is really going to care about letterboxing on a grey sheet. I could also go low-tech and make some panels out of the velvet and velcro them to the frame. Seems like that's a better use of my time.

I bought 3.5 yards of black velveteen from Walmart this weekend that was on clearance for $2 a yard so I think it cost me $6.89. so no complaints with that.

I also figured out that my Xbox 360 over VGA will output 1280x720 and the projector doesn't seem to mind that resolution and it gives me a full widescreen picture. I played an hour or two of Rock Band drums on the 124" screen and loved it. I think I will try this week to see if my computer will output 1280x720 instead of the 1024x768 and see how that looks. Getting my Start menu off the floor would be nice smile.gif
post #41 of 57 Old 07-26-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I think I've scrapped my movable panels idea. I took down the stuff that I had on the top couple inches of the screen. I also moved my projector back a stud again so I can use the full 108" width of the screen. I was able to use the ATI control panel to get 1280x720 resolution, but text was pretty hard to read. I'm going to have to play around with it more, as a BluRay rip seemed to look pretty darn good, but in the back of my mind it just bothered me that the desktop/browser etc just didn't look quite right. I really need to find my extra Lenovo keyboard that I have laying around. An hour or two of searching through boxes in the basement and the attic didn't yield any results, so it's possible that it ended up getting tossed accidentally. Noodling around with resolutions would be much easier if I didn't have to walk to the back of the room and use the keyboard and mouse that's attached to the computer.

I think my next step is to frame the screen in and get the velvet up.
post #42 of 57 Old 07-31-2012, 09:30 AM

Sounds like you have been very busy! Any picture updates? Please keep us updated because like you said, off the wall stuff sparks ideas in implementation of other things.

Have you tried a custom driver for your video card? (I have moved to a Mac and forget more than I remember on custom drivers but there is a program that is a power user program that will let you adjust many many settings on the ATI cards and this might help force the 1280x720 resolution)
post #43 of 57 Old 07-31-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Welcome back slacker! How is your liver? I was actually able to get my projector to shoot 1280x720 but it was smaller than the screen, almost as if it was shrunk a bit and I couldn't zoom to fit the whole screen. I was toying with trying to force certain frequencies from the video card. My projector will tell me what it is seeing as far as signal goes and the Xbox (going from memory here) was sending something like 60Hz vertical and 4.9kHz horizontal. Or something like that. I was going to dive into seeing if I could replicate that from the Windows end and see if it would work. I can get the Xbox to display a 1280x720 on the whole 108" width, but it appears that it's letterboxed a bit top and bottom, which I'm ok with. I haven't played around with it much since last week besides grabbing a handful of beers and playing Rock Band drums.

I will try to snap a few pictures too. I tried taking some with my phone but they didn't pick up much detail because it's so dark in that room.
post #44 of 57 Old 07-31-2012, 09:49 AM

I wish I was slacking, I still haven't really stopped being busy as hell but it was really nice to get away for a bunch of days in a row... first time in a LONG time I've been able to do that. As for my liver.... well lets just say we have a hate hate relationship at the moment... It hates me and I hate to let is rest. I'm still recovering from all of the fun... much sleep and water is still needed.

For the video card have you been able to turn overscan on/off? My mac does the same thing on my projector unless I toggle overscan through the computer and it corrects itself rather nicely.
post #45 of 57 Old 07-31-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It appears that I can only change overscan on a flat panel. Perhaps it's an HDMI thing and doesn't work for VGA? Not sure, but digging around in Catalyst Control Panel I don't see an option for Overscan. That was my first idea too, as I've had to mess with overscan on my plasma and LCD upstairs.
post #46 of 57 Old 07-31-2012, 12:55 PM

Well that puts me back to square one on the idea front... I'll keep thinking and see if there is anything else I can remember. I have an old Inspiron 9100 with an ATI card in it I will try and boot up to rumage through the settings and see if I cant figure something out
post #47 of 57 Old 08-09-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmmmm, wondering if I could use something like this guy to use HDMI out on my video card and then use the overscan feature of Catalyst....

I watched a football game last week via the Xbox 360 using a feed from my HTPC and the image was SO soft. I think tonight I'm going to watch the game via my HTPC and see if it's sharper. I really hope so or else this whole thing might be much ado about nothing.
post #48 of 57 Old 08-09-2012, 07:23 AM

It's always worth a shot and you can return it if by chance it doesn't work. Only be out shipping. Is the image always soft or only when it is blown up? And I know this is probably a dumb question but have you tried the HTPC VGA out on another monitor to see if it produces a sharper image?

Again, Happy Birthday man!
post #49 of 57 Old 08-09-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I didn't notice the image being soft on the HTPC before, but I hadn't watched much TV on it, mainly movies. I THINK that it has to do with the fact that the Xbox is using a TV feed from another computer (multiple HTPCs in the house) and it was also using a non-native resolution on the projector. Probably fine for beating my Yamaha drum set for Rock Band, maybe not so good for video, which is fine. I can use the HTPC down there for video, and I should know later tonight if the PC puts out a sharper image than the Xbox.
post #50 of 57 Old 08-09-2012, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh snap! My folks gave me $1000 for my birthday. My first thought was, "NEW PROJECTOR!" lol Fairly certain my wife would kill me. smile.gif
post #51 of 57 Old 08-10-2012, 09:19 AM

Happy Birthday indeed! Did you have a chance to check and see how soft the image was or if it got any better with direct source?

Hopefully you had some beers and fun, your Packers looked pretty good from what I watched
post #52 of 57 Old 08-10-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The image from the HTPC was markedly better than the Xbox image. It was a most enjoyable experience, except for the fact that the Packers played like they all had corrective shoes on. Not worried about a preseason game, but it would have been nice to have seen a couple guys have breakout games.
post #53 of 57 Old 07-02-2014, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Figured I would drag this thread back from the dead and hope it doesn't kick and scream too much. I haven't done squat lately with the movie room, but I may have accidentally ordered an Epson Powerlite 2030 the other day. I'm guessing that will kick things back into motion down there. Especially if they wife makes me move down there because I stealth ordered that 1080p projector.
post #54 of 57 Old 07-02-2014, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Accidents happen. I kind of told my wife the same thing yesterday when she couldn't get into the house due to the "Amazon" package (speakers...oops) blocking the door. "I must have hit the one click buying button by accident."

FYI: She didn't buy the "accident" story and I have been told that I have an Amazon problem. "It's not a problem....Shut up, woman" might have been the wrong thing to say! Well, that is what I wanted to say, but she is right, I do have Amazon problem and she has been a saint about it.

Also, I have the "less bright/cheaper sister" Epson HC2000 and it seems to be a good projector. I'm coming up on 1300 hours on it and no lamp/filter issues. For months, I have been second guessing myself about the Epson verses the BenQ 1070, but with almost 1300 hours since late November (and another 600 on a DLP projector), I know I made the right decision on getting a projector with a $99 replacement lamp.

Good luck with the wife and projector.
post #55 of 57 Old 08-01-2014, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Watched a few things on the new projector after I got it all mounted up where I wanted it. I had to order a 14" extension tube for it since it needs to be lower than my old projector. Bought a couple of those $18 pairs of 3D glasses off of Amazon and watched Rio 2 with my daughter. She was actually trying to touch some of the stuff coming out of the screen. Classic. Both our eyes did get a little wonky watching it after a while, but we made it through.
post #56 of 57 Old 08-02-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
perpetual98,

Looking back to 2012, you were threatening to get some Spandex to use for your Screen. So far I don't see where you made any choice. (...unless it's buried in another Thread....) Can you give us all an update on what your using with that Epson 2030?

Post Script:

Holy Serta Sleeper! I did a Post search and found a recent reference to your still using a Light Gray Bed Sheet !

Iffin' ya snooze, ya lose, and it seems you've been happy in Slumber-Land for the last 2 years.

Man, let's get you rockin' on something that will make that 3D experience really worthy. You can bet that the lack of gain and a degree of loss in detail are predominant factors in your eyestrain, and by a stretch, a better, more reflective surface will greating improve all aspects of your viewing,,,,in both 2D & 3D

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com

Last edited by MississippiMan; 08-02-2014 at 09:56 AM.
post #57 of 57 Old 08-04-2014, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, yes I'm still rocking the bed sheet. My wife wasn't terribly happy at my stealth ordering of the new projector, so I'm not even 100% she's going to let me keep it. LOL

Anyway, I don't have much of a budget for a screen and for now I think the sheet is doing a pretty good job. If I had a sprayer, I'd perhaps try spraying a screen onto the sheet. The Sintra stuff is cost prohibitive to me (meaning if my wife DOES let me keep the projector she certainly isn't going to want me to spend more on the screen) and right now I have a 120" diagonal (16:9) and going with just a 96" piece of drywall or something would yield a smaller screen and I don't trust my mudding skills to seam multiple pieces together.

Would Spandex still be the best/cheapest option? I haven't followed to DIY screen section in a while.
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page