My ongoing newbie projector blog... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 57 Old 06-11-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just picked up a Sharp PG-C30XU for a good price from a local tech college. According to the menu, with a grain of salt, it says the bulb has 134 hours on it, so I hope that's a good sign.

What I'm hoping to do is make a DIY screen in the basement for playing some Xbox on, and using an HTPC for watching the occasional kids movies on, and probably some sports when I can't wrestle the TV upstairs away from my wife.

Been doing a bunch of reading about painting your own screens and I think I've got my mind wrapped around that, but my questions revolve around screen size/ratio.

I figured the easiest thing to do is to just pick up a 4x8 sheet of something and paint and frame that.

The native resolution for the PJ is 1024x768, but will go up to 1600x1200 according to some sites that I've seen. I assume that native resolution will give me the best results, but this is my first PJ, so I'm not sure.

What is the best way for me to figure out the ratio I should shoot for? Should I size it by moving the PJ until I reach either 48" tall or 96" wide and crop from there? Obviously I'd like the biggest image possible, but I want it to be easy and I don't really want to seam material together.

I guess my question is, where do I start? Chicken or egg? Place the projector and paint a screen, or paint first and position the PJ after? How do you handle different ratio stuff? I assume letterboxes which may spill over the screen size, but the frame contains those? Sucks having a degree of OCD smile.gif

*EDIT* Changed projector part number
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 06-12-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

After some more reading, and some playing around with the projector last night I think I'm figuring SOME stuff out. I can manually zoom the lens on the PJ, so I think that's part of the solution.

Correct me if I'm wrong....

The PJ broadcasts a 4:3 image. No getting around that. What is does for movies and other stuff is Letterbox them. So what I will try to shoot for is something that will absorb the letterboxes top and bottom (and the desktop since it's an HTPC) that are displayed and use the zoom for stuff that is 1.69, 1.85, etc obtaining a CIH.

Does that sound about right?

I think I'm going to go for a standard sheet of something that is 48" x 96" and then border the top and bottom and then have movable side panels. It seems like the easiest solution, unless I'm way off base.

The way that I had it set up last night is that I put the PJ on one end of the room and shined it onto a white bed sheet we had. I was able to get a 7 foot wide image and I could get it a little bigger because I have some wiggle-room both physically and with the zoom on the PJ.

I had some Screen Door Effect, but I expected it with a 12 year old projector. This is more of an experiment to see how it goes. If everything goes good maybe I'll consider a different PJ down the road, but for now, this will be fine.
post #3 of 57 Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Why does everyone feel obliged to apologize? confused.gif Do we ever get mad or something! mad.gif Do they know something we don't about how silly their questions are? mad.gifmad.gif Do they think they should have been born knowing how to solve their own questions? mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

It's enough to drive one crazy and start getting PO'd !!! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

I'm sorry for having to have to see you be sorry, but it's a sorry state of affairs when people feel sorry for others when they should really be sorry for having to feel obligated to say they are sorry before someone makes them feel sorry they asked something.

Sorry...but thanks for being there to listen. tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

Ok....now to address this post.

You picked up a PJ that has a Native Resolution that produces a 4:3 image. That's the same size / appearance your older TVs had...an Image that is more "Square" than Rectangular (16:9)

The first thing you need to do is wrap yourself around the fact that you cannot be sorry you chose that PJ. For once you see a big image looking good, and knowing you achieved it for a Dime on a Dollar's investment, such love means never having to say your sorry.

One has to make the best of a relationship if possible...not "focus" on being sorry they got into it. To do that, one must find the beauty that exists behind the terrible wrong they did themselves getting into a relationship that demands they make sacrifices that can detract from the bliss that a well made match can offer.

But one can at least find the "good" in any bad situation if one looks beyond the initial disappointments. I see a similarity in the lyrics of an old song:

"Hey man! I Saw your wife the other day." - "You did?" - "Yeah...and she sure is Ugly! "- "Yeah, but she sure can Cook!"

In your case however, the PJ you listed seems to be so ugly it's hiding it's face from the public altogether, because a extensive and wholly exhausting search of all of Sharp's PJs in the PG / XG / SharpVision categories turned up no such animal....in fact, there is not even a "PC-G" category at all!

But wait! Oh...I see how you are!

There IS a PG-C30XU. How could you make such an error???

I think you owe us an apology. Sheesh. The things we go through and have to tolerate. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

OK...so you now own a veritable Dinosaur of a PJ, first released in 2000. One that has 1700 lumens, only 250:1 Contrast, and probably some very pronounced SDE (Screen Door Effect) Let me be the first to tell you how sorry I am for you. biggrin.gif

Let's make the best of things though. If you haven't experienced "The Big Picture" yet, that Sharp will probably deliver you an experience that still outstrips your expectations. But what come after that? The desire to better one's condition...to evolve and grow.

To that effect you must decide upon the most effective Screen format to choose. Considering it's 2012, and most content you'll watch is going to be in a Widescreen format, you need to ignore the "Native Resolution" and concentrate on doing what will serve you best both now and in the not-so-distant future.

No...put down that Gun.

You need to get used to the idea that if your using a 48" x 96" substrate, 48" of image height will be all you ever have to work with.

In 4:3 mode that equates to being an image that measures 48" x 64" . How droll.
In 16:9 mode it becomes 48" x 86". That's better.

That PJ does process 1080i, which is what all HD Cable content comes in (...and is in 16:9 mode)

And should you deign to watch a true 2.40:1 Widescreen movie, the image size would be 36" x 86" (6" wide horizontal bars top & bottom)

It would make no sense to make a screen dedicated to the 4:3 format because you would force yourself to watch much smaller 16:9 and 2.40:1 "widescreen"images on a 48" x 64" screen.

So what do we know? That you've got to select a material that is at least 96" x 48", and pain-table. Why paint? because you have no real Blacks coming from the Sharp, but lots of Lumens. Knowing that, if you chose a basic neutral Gray, something you can roll on (...or spray if you really sorry enough to follow sage advice....) the chosen substrate, the appearance of the Blacks will be greatly improved, as will the colors. Another side benefit of a Gray surface would be less noticeable SDE.

If very little is spent on the initial DIY Screen, once you get thoroughly infected with the Front Projection Bug and determine that the only real cure will be to move into a "real' high resolution "NEW" Projector and a gawd-awful big Screen, you'll not feel too pressed in doing so.

Once you do reach that point in your life, I daresay you'll never have anything to be sorry about, or to say your sorry about ever again.

At least as long as you say rooted inside your Home theater. wink.gif

For my part, I'm sorry this had to be so long. cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #4 of 57 Old 06-12-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

....I'm also sorry that I had to leave my PC to take some business calls, because in the interim, I see that pertpetual98 has posted again.

perpetual98,

Ask anyone......MississippiMan is a "Hunt & Peck" typist, so even with my delay, the above posting was a labor of love. The supposed humor?

Well, that's just another reason for me to be sorry about something. biggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #5 of 57 Old 06-12-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the response! I realize that the projector is quite old and dated, but I spent a whole $75 on it, which to me seems like a deal. Some of you more proficient aficionados would likely gasp and consider that $75 I should have put in a shoe-box for a better PJ.

Anyway, I'll get a little back-story out, since MississippiMan seems like he has a similar sense of humor to me.

I got an overhead projector at work for free that they were going to throw out. It came with am 800x600 LCD platen that sat on top of it. I really wanted to use it for some art projects that I had in mind, namely using pencil/charcoal/ink to do some B&W artwork on some canvas for around our house. That thing was old I think when I started at my company in 1997, but it still worked, I just didn't realize how poorly it worked. I spent a bit of time trying to get it to work, but it got the projector bug started in me. I even went so far as to destroy a few laptops taking the backlight off of the screen so I could use those on the OHP and while I did manage to get it working, it was a poor solution and I was already on the hunt for a real projector, even if the one I picked up isn't that modern.

We currently rent the house that we live in, and the basement is unfinished, full of spiders, not particularly dry and smells of a previous tenants litter-box. Some of those problems are corrected, and others I can live with. Our landlord is cool, but I'm not sure she is cool enough for me to start framing in rooms in the basement. Right now I've got a "room" that is about 12' x 18' and without measuring, I'm guessing I can get almost a 10' wide screen on the wall where I was going to put a screen, but I'd rather not get into seaming multiple pieces of material together, and while I'm proficient with drywall mudding and whatnot, I doubt I would get any wall flat enough that my OCD wouldn't drive me insane, so that's why I was thinking the 48"x96" screen.

I also have to do this all on the cheap, since my wife and I are expecting another baby and she doesn't quite appreciate my financial expenditures the way that I do.

I'm still in the process of figuring out how to make a comfortable space where me and the kids can watch the occasional movie and still not break the bank. I do have the ability to get the room pitch black if I wanted to, so maybe I'll do some more research of grey screens. I was leaning towards white.
post #6 of 57 Old 06-12-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Lean this way.......

Gray/Silver Matte Spandex Stretched across a Frame.

Darker Silver http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/5954
Lighter Silver http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/6409

Inexpensive, Lightweight, and pretty easy to work with.

I strongly suggest the darker variety.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #7 of 57 Old 06-12-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, that sounds like it might work too. So figure a 52" high screen at a 2.4:1 ratio puts me at 124.8" wide? Does that sound like a promising start? Or should I scale it back a bit? I guess the first thing should be to clean some clutter and see if I can even project an image that wide....
post #8 of 57 Old 06-12-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post

Ok, that sounds like it might work too. So figure a 52" high screen at a 2.4:1 ratio puts me at 124.8" wide? Does that sound like a promising start? Or should I scale it back a bit? I guess the first thing should be to clean some clutter and see if I can even project an image that wide....

I'd say you could do that easily enough. However I'd suggest you employ a Dark backdrop to catch the light spill around the screen area. That 'ol PJ isn't going to have much if anything in the way of projected dark masking, so any unused portion of the image will most likely be a light to medium shade of Gray.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #9 of 57 Old 06-12-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Looks like I'm going to have to go around 9 feet across I think. I can do 10 feet, but that's the extent of the zoom on the little projector and I figure I'll need some range in the zoom to fill screen, especially if I have movable side panels. I was going to build a frame for the screen out of 1 by whatever material, covered in the cheapest light absorbing cloth I could find. If I did movable side panels and strove for CIH, I would coat them in the same material. I've read on some sites that the black carpet people use for those obnoxiously loud subwoofer boxes in their cars works pretty well. My next plan is to get the wall the screen will be on plumb and covered with something as it's just studs now.
post #10 of 57 Old 06-13-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Looks like I MAY have scored a free screen that we used to have at work in our classroom. I don't know the condition or measurements of it, and it may be useless for me, but can't beat the price. The guy who has it now took it home and he's going to bring it in next week when he gets off of vacation. I think it's a 4:3 screen, but we'll see what I can make out of it.

I picked up some lumber so I can finish off shoring up the wall that the screen will be on in the basement. I have to make it plumb and extend it two feet or so.
post #11 of 57 Old 06-14-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just some random babbling here so I can keep track of ideas in my head easier. I got the wall that the screen will be on done last night. Well, "done" is subjective. I got some more studs up and the wall covered with some free OSB we had at work. Eventually it will be covered in black cloth of some sort and the screen will hang in front of it or be mounted off of it when I get that far. I've got a bunch of stuff to clean up and do with that room before I would consider it a "theater" but slowly I'll get there. Right now I could probably plop the kids down there and they'd be entertained as is. I'm still trying to figure out what size screen I want, as my projector is 4:3 right now and I can't figure out which ratio I'm really shooting for. I'm also working on some ideas for movable panels which I will probably be playing around with when some parts I ordered arrive. I should be able with a couple buttons and motors to raise and lower the top and bottom panels relatively easily. Depending on my screen size and content being watched, I might also have some side panels, but those will be manual. I think I'll have a better idea when I get a gander at the free screen I'm supposed to be getting next week. I have a pretty good idea that it won't be as big as I want though, so it will probably be useless, but we'll see.
post #12 of 57 Old 06-19-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got my free screen today and it's small, which is disappointing, but I wasn't expecting much else. Looks like it's back to the stretched Spandex screen that I was planning anyway.

I also finished my panel movers, now to just finish the design on the panels themselves.

I had an Arduino laying around and I picked up a couple servo motors and they will be used to spin up and down the cloth panels. It will be similar to this video.

If the servos aren't strong enough, I can move up to stepper motors that I also have laying around, but it will be more work.

I've hit a snag with my wall coverings, as the initial idea I had looks like it will be more money than I want to spend. Guess I'm a few weeks further out than I had hoped in completing the project. Might turn into a slow summer project.

I did get a projector mount from Monoprice yesterday and up and mounted last night, so at least now I can run the speakers and with a little cleaning the kids could probably watch a movie on the bed sheet this weekend if they're so inclined smile.gif
post #13 of 57 Old 06-20-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

As this project goes forward, I'm sure the details as published will serve to encourage more than a few others to consider similar projects.

Keep it moving ahead...for it's things like this that really represent DIY in it's purist state.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #14 of 57 Old 06-20-2012, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh believe me, I'm probably the cheapest penny-pinching DIY person you'll ever meet. You'd cringe if you knew some of the stuff I've thought about. Moving blanket wall coverings for darkness and to tame sound-reflections off of walls? Yup, it's crossed my mind. smile.gif
post #15 of 57 Old 06-20-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

When the lights go down, and you cannot see what's about you, then your both doing something right and not worrying at all about what's "on the wall".

But when the light's come up and everyone sees the "UHaul" logo.................rolleyes.gif

tongue.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #16 of 57 Old 06-20-2012, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

But when the light's come up and everyone sees the "UHaul" logo.................rolleyes.gif
tongue.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif

Easy solution. I tell people that I was "sponsored" by Uhaul. biggrin.gif
post #17 of 57 Old 06-20-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post

Easy solution. I tell people that I was "sponsored" by Uhaul. biggrin.gif

You could always call it "A Moving Theater".

If the spirit moves you to do so.

Speaking of Movements.....nature calls. eek.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #18 of 57 Old 06-20-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nice! I just let the landlord know what I had planned for the basement and she said that I could do what I had planned, but she couldn't promise that there wouldn't be water in the basement ever so she wasn't going to be responsible.

I read that as: "Do whatever you want at your own risk" which I'm completely fine with! biggrin.gif

Here's a quick Sketchup of what I have planned...

post #19 of 57 Old 06-29-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Trying to stay awake at work, so I thought I'd blog a bit. Started part of the basement wall last night. Got the top and bottom plates up (down?) and a few studs up to the point where I was going to have to do goofy stuff around some ducts and then I had to go do other stuff. I'm not terribly sure what I'm going to do as a "door" to the room. What I WANT to do and what I will end up doing might be two different things. What I might end up doing is just hanging a heavy blanket up as a "door". Easy peasy, cheap, would probably do the job. What I would like to do is make a couple sliding doors, similar to pocket doors, but more low tech since I don't really need pocket doors that slide into the walls. The house we're in is like 100 years old and at some point, I think every door opening had a big heavy 6-panel door in it I assume for temperature control back in the day where furnaces weren't efficient and central air was a pipe-dream. Anywho, there's a whole mess of those doors up in the attic that I was going to use. I picked up a couple sliding closet door systems from Home Depot. They were $14 each and made for 60" openings. The doors that I have are 30" doors so 30" doors sliding on a track need 60" of track, right? I figured it would be nicer and look a little more finished using the doors instead of a blanket, but part of me just wants to take them back and get the money back and use it for more construction materials. I guess it will depend on how much "prep" work I need to do to get the tracks mounted. I have to move a shelf that I have up now that has my router and switch and HDHomerun on it, and I also need to move a flexible gas line that goes from the furnace to the water heater, but that part is just a 10 minute job of moving some brackets.

I'm hoping to get a little more done this weekend, and I'm thinking about taking some time off of work next week and have a nice long weekend where I can try to get a bunch more stuff done. I scored a futon from a rumage sale today for $40 which I'm pretty happy about. I can't imagine what level of hell it would be to get a couch down the steps at my house, that's why I figured a futon would be best. Throw a couple beanbag chairs down for the kids and call the seating done. smile.gif
post #20 of 57 Old 07-02-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I put a frame up on the wall tonight out of some scrap wood that I had ripped down from some 2x4's the other day. I haven't done much work lately and I was itching to do something to the theater. I framed it out to 108" wide and 61" tall for a diagonal of 124".

I was half thinking about just going cheap (and I still might) and using a bed sheet in the short term while I work on the project slowly over the summer. I found a nice light gray king-sized flat sheet at Target for like $16 and figured that would be fine while I worked on the basement. The kids keep bugging me to watch movies down there (not sure why, the place is a wreck) and I thought the sheet would be a good solution. Then I was reading about using a sheet for a screen and pretty much everyone and their brother said not to. So I didn't take the Target screen out of the package in case I wanted to return it. I found a sacrificial queen size screen (just a BIT smaller than needed) and I stapled it onto the frame. It was SOOOOOO close to actually fitting, but just couldn't quite make it, as you can see in the picture, but for temporary, it'll work.

So I fired up the projector just to play around with it and it actually looked pretty darn good, considering the sheet was beige. Here's a couple of paused scenes from some ripped BR movies. You can really see the limits of the projector being a 4:3 and lots of screen-door-effect, but I still think for $75 for the projector, it's just fine for now. I really doubt the kids will care.

450 450
post #21 of 57 Old 07-09-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Took a couple days of vacation last week and spent far too much time in the basement working on the theater room. I got the next 8 foot hunk of wall put up and got the tracks for both sliding doors up and installed. Miraculously, the doors actually JUST fit without any trimming. I guess I got lucky there. Here's a couple pictures of that "stage" of the project...

I had to do some more mudding than I wanted to do, but I got 3 sheets of drywall off of Craigslist for cheap and I really could have used 4, but it was a good deal.

Here's what the doors look like closed. I need to do some cleanup on them since they're pretty grimy from being in the attic for God knows how long.

post #22 of 57 Old 07-09-2012, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My next score was on Craigslist again. Someone had listed about 40 two by four foot sheets of drop ceiling tile and all of the gridwork for it for $25. I contacted them first and I ran over to pick the stuff up. I'm guessing if I wanted to buy it all new, it would have set me back around $400 at Home Depot. The bad news was that it was the plastic gridwork that screws right to the studs. Since I had to drop the ceiling down to get around some conduit and the A/C lines, I had to go buy the metal stuff anyway. I'll just throw what I don't use back on Craigslist and try to get my money out of it.

Here's a picture of my messy room before I started on the ceiling. I really should work more efficiently so I'm not always walking around stuff, but oh well, that's how I roll. You'll notice the light bulb on the right side that I'm going to remove do I don't have to put the ceiling around it. I just bought a metal octagon cover and removed the fixture and covered it up.

Do you know how many times I walked around my dusty drum set? If I had half a brain, I'd just move it since I need to move it anyway...

Here's a shot of the two main tees running down the middle of the room. I also ran a switch to the wall by the sliding door and put a drop ceiling light fixture in that I had laying around at the house...

I also used some drywall mud thinned with water to do a sort of skim coat / skip-trowel on the walls for texture. My brother-in-law took my mud sprayer, or else I probably would have just shot texture onto the walls. I'm sure this will be fine though. It'll be dark, right? Right?!?!

900x900px-LL-76606683_basement6.jpeg

Here's a couple shots of the ceiling later on this weekend...

900x900px-LL-7cd68aa6_basement7.jpeg

Look! I AM capable of cleaning!!!

900x900px-LL-335a1182_basement9.jpeg
post #23 of 57 Old 07-09-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My next latest money saver happened at Walmart. We were there to buy some other stuff and I told my wife I would be in the paint department. I wanted to see if they had any cheap gallons of flat-black paint. I didn't spend much time looking and I didn't see much, but in the "Oops" section there was a gallon of satin Better Homes & Gardens paint that was this hideous dark color. I couldn't tell if it was black, or super dark brown, or mega dark maroon or what. Nobody was working so I grabbed the opener from the desk and opened it. In it's wet state, it was really, really dark and had some hints of red/brown in it. Priced at $12 for a gallon, I figured I couldn't go wrong. I was almost wrong.

Anyway, I got home with the stuff, finished the last trim work on the ceiling, took everything out of the room, hung craft paper on my "screen" and put a drop cloth over the opening to the room. I dumped some of the paint into my Wagner Paint Crew sprayer. After I finally got it primed (since I never do the best job cleaning it when I'm done, or oiling it, it's always a bit clogged) I started spraying. Super dark chocolate is the color that I'm calling it. Spraying the ceiling took hardly any time at all since that paint crew really pushes paint.

The drawback to buying a one-off oops gallon of paint? Good luck getting more if you run out. Which I did. BUT, the ceiling was 98% done, and to just about anyone who looks at it, they would think it's done. Seeing as I have what I call a touch of OCD, I know that it's not, but that's fine. There's a couple sections that could really use a little more paint, but the ceiling it done, it's just all the little nooks in a few areas of the ceiling tile that could use some more paint. When I turn the lights off though, holy cow Batman, it's dark in there.

Here's a couple pictures of what it looks like as of right now...

I don't think the paint is fully dry when I took the picture, and for some reason, my camera really wanted to focus on the futon instead of the wall.

I'm going to have to touch up the paint on the concrete wall, even though I'm going to cover it with something, the less I can do to irritate the landlord, the better, right?

I also have yet to determine what color I'm going to paint the walls that I put up where the doors are. I'm leaning towards a dark blue, or a dark burgundy, but it depends on what I do to cover the concrete.

Now to keep my eyes on Craigslist for cheap carpeting...
post #24 of 57 Old 07-09-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

If you have any of that paint left at all, simply put a large Smear of it on a 3" x 5" card and take it into Home Depot or Lowes. They can Computer match it for you so close, what with that dark a paint, you'd have no trouble blending it in.

Don't hedge now! Don't accept "ALMOST DONE IS GOOD ENOUGH!" One of those stores should have a el-cheapo gallon of White base (Deep Base). Or at least a Quart to let you finish up with!

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #25 of 57 Old 07-11-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got one of my two 5.1 systems hooked up last night. I think I'm going to hook the other system up in parallel so I can do a sound comparison. Neither is terribly good, but they're both paid for so you can't beat the price. The one that I hooked up last night was an older Logitech Z-680 system I used to have in a bedroom a couple of houses ago. For computer speakers, it sounds pretty darn good. From a few minutes of listening last night, it sounded pretty good in the basement. There's more sound coming from the subwoofer than I'd like though which I would blame on a non-adjustable internal crossover.

The other system I have is an old HTIB made by RCA with a non-powered sub. I think I will really need to do a side-by-side to figure out which direction I want to go.
post #26 of 57 Old 07-11-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Someone posted a question but must have deleted their question, but I'll answer it anyway in case anyone else is wondering.

The first question was something along the lines of "How hard was it to paint the drop ceiling?" Well, it was rather easy since I used a sprayer. I have a Wagner Paint Crew similar to this... It puts out a lot of paint and goes through a lot of paint. You wouldn't want to use it to paint your screen I don't think, but for walls and ceilings and other stuff, it's fine. Just get more paint than you think you'll need. I painted the wall with my screen on it, which is 12' x 7' (but not the 108"x61" screen part) and the ceiling which is 12' x 18' and a gallon was enough for adequate results, but another quart or two would have allowed me to fix some little issues that I'm probably the only one who will notice anyway.

They also asked me if going from a white ceiling to a blackish ceiling helped my PQ at all. Honestly, I had cleaned out the room and didn't have my equipment hooked up to do a before and after. Since my projector is a 4:3 projector and my screen is 16:9 I have the top and bottom parts of the desktop off the screen and the dark absorbs it pretty well. My start menu is actually on the floor, which looks kinda odd when I'm at the desktop. Fortunately, when I'm watching movies, the top and bottom parts of the screen are black anyway so I don't notice.

I'm still trying to figure out some stuff to get my movable panels built. I have some 10 foot sections of 1/2" EMT conduit that I think won't sag when only supported near the ends, but further investigation is required on that.
post #27 of 57 Old 07-11-2012, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Haha that was me, I am at work and was rolling through and my fingers started going before my mind had the presence to quit thinking "Boss is coming, boss is coming" and actually read under the photo of your drop ceiling. I regrouped once I knew he wasnt coming and read your post stating "hey I sprayed, way easy once I got the clog out". Deleted so I didn't look like that guy who asks questions to answered items

Thanks for the quick response though. I'm thinking of picking up a sprayer for the basement job as opposed to rolling the tiles but not sure yet. It all depends on how soon I want to paint the upstairs living room and my spare bed room. I have never used a sprayer before so it could be very interesting
post #28 of 57 Old 07-11-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

There's a couple reasons why I sprayed, the main one being that I already own the sprayer. smile.gif The second reason is that I wasn't sure how much the tiles would move if I was rolling them and I would go insane because I would always have white parts of the tile showing because they were moving as I painted them. Granted, now that I sprayed them, if I ever have to move them to access anything above them, I doubt I'll be able to get them lined up perfectly again anyway.
post #29 of 57 Old 07-11-2012, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea I was thinking the same things. I thought about rolling and then when I read your post I remembered all the other walls I have to paint and how much easier Im guessing a sprayer would be on large walls. I think I might have to look into one of those sprayers. I remember MM talking about one from Gleem Paint "No Name" I'll have to take a look at. How hard is it to be precise with one of these?
post #30 of 57 Old 07-11-2012, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Precise with my Wagner? Put it this way, I'm not going to be painting any wizards on the side of a van tongue.gif. It's slightly more akin to painting with a color filled grenade. LOL Well, maybe not that bad. Nice for walls and stuff. Consider it more of a rough Carpenter compared to a finish Carpenter
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page