All matte/flat white walls w/ambient light ... best white paint/mix? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-25-2012, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After years of lurking, I've finally come to a conundrum I'm not sure how to move forward on (after searching extensively on AVS).

Situation:

New house, will be repainting all the walls matte/flat white. Will be getting the Epson 3010/5010 projector for home theater. There's ambient light during the day, lots of windows. Eventually we'll be buying roll-down blinds, as the windows are flushed against the outside, so there's about 6-8" of a box on the inside. But I'm not sure how well it'll block out the light from daytime viewing. It's best to assume there will be some ambient light during the day, and dark at night.

Issue:

Every wall will need to be white, for esthetic reasons. Unfortunately, I know this will sacrifice on some of the PQ frown.gif I'd like the wall to be white so it looks clean, and no evidence that the projector screen projects onto the wall, so unfortunately I will be forgoing framing as well.

Solutions?

(1) what's the best white paint I can use for this wall (approximately 10' x 10')? For this wall, we can use a different white paint from the rest of the house, but it needs to match as best as possible .... so it'll need to stay flat/matte (not eggshell/glossy).

* I've been reading into the projectorcentral article about the SW paint (but it's glossy), and Silver Fire and RS-MaxMudd, but they all seem to have some sort of "shine" to the white paint.

Any help would be super appreciated!

** I'm aware that I'm committing multiple cardinal sins with this setup, but I really want a projector setup, at the expense of some PQ frown.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-25-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 216
OK...another New member/Poster!

Welcome to AVS's DIY Screen Forum

If you get the 5010...and I strongly suggest you do exactly that.....be advised that planning for the correct lighting, and blocking (...not wholly "Masking"...) light from the windows from washing against the screen will be of considerable help.

The room as described needs to be "SPRAYED" using a White Satin. The same Sherwin Williams paint used before for DIY screens is your best choice, ( ProClassic Extra White Smooth Enamel Satin Finish )but ya gotta get it from that source.

( You can have the surfaces Rolled using the same paint, but the "screen's surface" achieving perfection is at best problematical. )

So you can't go "Gray" nor use metallics, nor Frame.....your tough.

But please, at this conjecture, do not scrimp on having the Drywall in the screen wall be skimmed completely and then lightly sanded very smooth. This must be done if rolling or spraying.

Then go ahead and go to the Trouble to Spray the room. Or at least the one, well prepped wall where the screen will reside.

Do those few things, and use the prescribed "One Can Wonder" paint, and your end results will exceed your expectations.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 9 Old 06-25-2012, 08:11 PM

Agreed...and from one who dealt with many contractors, make your specs clear from the beginning. Also, google how to check for a properly mud job and show up, while the contractor is present, with the right equipment to verify.

One thing that Reagan got right?

Trust, but verify.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-26-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks MississippiMan! A few questions spawned from your response smile.gif

* I will definitely have them sand down the wall for sure! [Streamlover] I will also look into the "mud job" thing as well! I want to make sure that wall is perfect before anything goes on it. Then I'll have it sprayed ... not rolled on.

(1) assuming I go with the satin paint ... is that the best choice versus the other mixes (RS-MaxMudd/Silver Fire/etc)?

(2) is there any paint that would be somewhat good in my condition that's less glossy? .... in the end, I may just make that one wall satin, and the rest of the house flat

(3) Would it matter if I got the 3010 instead?

(4) None of the reviews mention it, and I've never had a projector before ... but how long does it take to turn on? smile.gif
post #5 of 9 Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 PM

Dude, most importantly have fun. That's the whole damn point anyway.

Others can chime in on paint color. I'll avoid this one as it reminds me too much of the numerous law suits that I face in my day job. For what it is worth, my job is the deflection of disinformation. Just go with your gut (cannot be quantified) and the final results as you see it.

What if you pick the wrong choice? You can just repaint. Sure this takes a day, but considering the amount of time and effort that you've already in the cost of the PJ and materials pales in comparison to a day spent is support of your hobby.

If you don't like it, tweak it. This is the beauty of PJs vs. flat screens (although this difference seems to be diminishing). What all of us like should be different. What if I said I thin van Gogh was the quintessential artist? I'd certainly be challenged by numerous folks who have a different perspective and I'd be supported by an equal number of people who agree. Cinema is another form of art, yet we pretend that we can use "science" to direct our decisions. Science is an important consideration, but cannot capture personal preferences.

Why should our personal preferences of media be inherently discounted because our scientific instruments suggest otherwise? This notion is based upon the fact that that aethetics can be quantified, they cannot.

Mixing science, art, religion, etc. is inherently wrong and am important form of disinformation. Here is just means that you'll get a screen that doesn't meet your needs. Elsewhere, such logic has led to the loss of hundred of thousands of lives.

Enough pontification.

Good luck with your project. If I don't like mine, which I don't expect to be the case, I'll simply state what I like and don't like about the results. No blame. No judgement. Just an appreciation for the fact that aethetics differ.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

^ no offense, but I think that was obvious. Like most on here, I'm just trying to find the best solution, given my circumstance.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-29-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljun View Post

Thanks MississippiMan! A few questions spawned from your response smile.gif
* I will definitely have them sand down the wall for sure! [Streamlover] I will also look into the "mud job" thing as well! I want to make sure that wall is perfect before anything goes on it. Then I'll have it sprayed ... not rolled on.
(1) assuming I go with the satin paint ... is that the best choice versus the other mixes (RS-MaxMudd/Silver Fire/etc)?[
(2) is there any paint that would be somewhat good in my condition that's less glossy? .... in the end, I may just make that one wall satin, and the rest of the house flat

The choice of a "Satin" base is made so as to offset the attenuation (dulling) of a surface that contains darkening elements that change it into a Gray shade. The reflective components contained within SF and RS-MM also do this, and as such, often a pure Flat sheen Base is used, albeit one that is a "Interior Flat Enamel" that itself still retains the ever-so-slightest amount of sheen because it is a denser, tighter paint than a Flat Latex alone.

Choosing a Flat Enamel won't resign you to having less performance as in image quality....just a bit less gain. In perspective, choosing & using RS-MM LL and using a "pure flat Base latex" would of course alleviate any concerns about sheen being an issue, ....or likewise if you use a N8.0 shade of Flat Gray on the Screen wall, and a Flat Gray N7.0 everywhere else. I'd suggest that as it will look splendid and focus attention on the Screen wall without making it seem too pretentious. in the least, having a slightly darker ceiling is highly advisable.

Quote:
(3) Would it matter if I got the 3010 instead?

Less Lumen output...... Significantly less contrast (50K:1 vs 200K:1) ...... NO Lens Shift
Anyway you look at it, the 3010 offers less performance and installation leeway. It's ONLY advantage is it's lessor cost, but judicious shopping can mitigate that quite a bit.

Quote:
(4) None of the reviews mention it, and I've never had a projector before ... but how long does it take to turn on? smile.gif

Approx. 30 seconds from pressing the ON button and seeing the Epson Logo. That's pretty much standard for anything with High Output Bulbs, whose lifespan is dictated by the "absence" of excessive current surges before the filaments are adequately heated. Surprisingly, when switched off the PJ's fan runs for less than 15 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljun View Post

^ no offense, but I think that was obvious. Like most on here, I'm just trying to find the best solution, given my circumstance.

Awwww...I think StreamLover was doing more "encouraging" than proselytizing. wink.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #8 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Is there a "flat" paint equivalent to the ProClassic Extra White Smooth Enamel Satin Finish? smile.gif
post #9 of 9 Old 09-07-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I just did a test panel of Glidden GLN9000 which is a very cheap paint at Home Depot. On my screen it appears extremely close to the SW on side-by-side panels. I have to give it more time and tests but it's one you might want to look into.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page