Stains on blackout cloth projector screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After much research here and elsewhere, I built a blackout cloth screen on a wooden frame this weekend. I laid paper towels to protect the screen from the floor, but when I lifted the finished product, there were two small brown stains (not sure if they were always there, didn't inspect fabric beforehand, otherwise I probably would've just used the other, non-rubbery side). I tried a little laundry detergent and water (very diluted) on a paper towel, and I might've gotten some of the stain off, I can't be sure. I think the tag on the BOC at the fabric store said it should be dry-cleaned. My questions:

The stain is the size of a nickel.

- Paramount question: How would you spot-clean BOC?

- Can you spot-dry clean something? I'm not about to rip the staples out and try to get this cloth dry-cleaned. It would be easier to buy another $17 piece of cloth and staple it over this one.

- Can tap water discolor BOC, like if it's crappy and has too many minerals or whatever? I'm not sure, but the water might've discolored the fabric a little, or perhaps it was the laundry detergent. I used a very mild mix and tried to rinse it out with a wet paper towel, but the detergent is dyed blue, so I'm worried either the dye or water could've darkened the BOC.

- I read on another forum that someone had success with Oxi-Clean and a soft brush. Has anyone here had experience with that?

- The stain is so small and the screen is like a dull white, so my last resort is to mix watercolor paint, something like 1 part black to 50 parts white so it's a slightly dull white, and just blend it out with a tiny brush. Would the paint provide a comparable surface to the BOC, or would it stick out like a sore thumb?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-25-2012, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is probably a better question for Martha Stewart than the folks at this forum rolleyes.gif

Seriously, there are a number of stain removal products designed to not make you look like an ass when you walk into an important meeting after the short-sighted mistake of eating marinara for lunch...Not that I'd know anything about such things (both the meetings and Martha)...I speak from rumors that I've heard "online".

Seriously, try the stain removers in the laundry section. Rely on the research of chemists who study such things. Despite what some aspects of media might have you believe, there is a reason why folks spend 10-12 years specializing in a discipline. The folks here are smart, but I'm guessing that they don't think about the chemical or physical nature of stains. Rely on the experts, or if that doesn't work make up whatever story best suits (see mainstream media for advise). Never let data get in the way of good story wink.gif

Go ahead and experiment with Oxyclean (generally a great product) and other solutions. What do you have to lose?

The knowledgeable folks on this forum have spend hundreds of hours focusing on getting it right. Most would have probably tossed this screen as a bad replicate.

My point...If it is not worth the money to not simply wrap the screen, then why bother the folks here with such a nuanced problem?

If my suggestions don't work then... well...you've already suggested your solution. Cover it up, start again. No big deal right?
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page