Paint on Screen reviews??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-02-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am looking for anyone who has had working knowledge of this product. http://www.paintonscreen.com/ I currently have a painted screen in my basement. I love how smooth the picture looks, but I would love to have more pop to the pic. I can't remember exactly what I used to paint it. It may even just be a mix of a gray and white base. Anyway, I also have an HP screen. The hp is wonderful for the brightness, but it seems to not look natural and look graining and sparkly. Not to mention the lack of black level. I didn't like seeing the screen material. I find I always see it, which is why out of all the screens I have had I like the painted the best because I see no grain from the screen material itself.

Here is what I want to do. The room is completely light controlled, but I watch a lot of directv and want to have my lights on while watching. I can do that now with my epson 8500ub and it is ok with the lights on, but I would like to have more brightness to the image. I don't like using any settings other than the thx for the epson because I can't stand colors to be off so I don't use any other settings. I also would love for it to work well when the kids go to bed and I can watch my movies. Would the products above work for this or is this product just a commercialization of the mixes already on this site. Reason I ask... All of these paint threads seem to be quite a few years old now and I wonder if all the info is up to date.

I found the paint. It was Valspar silver screen interior matte signature

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Welcome. While some of the threads are older, the formulas are usually updated based on availability of the ingredients. If you read the Silver Fire V2 thread you'll see suggestions for high ambient light. MM who usually pipes in is, I believe, playing in Maui right now. He does log on and make replies, so I suspect he will get a response to you sooner or later as his playtime allows.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-03-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I wish I was there now! It's considerably cooler! Nope, my trip is planned for between Sept.22 & Oct.4th. But push me.....I might find a way to jump across the big "P" sooner.

POS? Pricey, and not worth the expense if your going for a High Contrast Gray w/p gain.

And tests and reviews show that the higher gain Grays & Silvers have considerable graininess. And they cost the most.

In any case, those "Mfg" paints are not discussed (...at any length...) or suggested for DIY screen making as advocated on this DIY Screen Forum. On here we keep to solutions that involve / are comprised of materials and components that are not specifically made for / Mfg as "Projection Screen" components.

Such questions are steered to "Screens" where all things "Mfg" are discussed and reviewed.

But hey! On here we match or surpass all things "Mfg" anyway...and for 2x-3x less too boot. And believe me....we keep things up to date.wink.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #4 of 5 Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok. So what do you recommend for watching tv with lights on and watching movies at night with all lights off. Mind you I don't want any sparklies.and I want a pic that is color accurate I really like the smoothness of my wall I have. I was planning on using a wood frame I have already made for a boarder around my painted screen. I also want uniform brightness. My room is only 10.5 feet wide. I'm going for a bit over 106 in screen.at a throw of around 18 ft.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-05-2012, 03:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Ya know....from your stated desires and dictates, using a good quality, bright white Base paint with a N8.0 Gray, applied via Sprayer onto a smooth substrate is about the only "sure thing". And even that might be adversely affected by the 18' throw. With the 8500ub, and with a unity gain surface you wind up with 22 fls. More than enough with a 1.0 gain surface. Not so much if your screen's reflectivity drops into the 0.9-0.8 gain range. One thing in your favor is that with such a long throw and a relatively small screen, uniformity of brightness across the Screen's surface should be easier to maintain with the PJ/screen combo that you'll have.

Should be........, for Lamp brightness and the condition of your organic LCD panels might play a overly important part in everything.

The Sherwin Williams ProClassic paint as mentioned in the "Build a Screen for under $100.00" article in Projector Central is a good paint to consider, especially if you cannot spray.. Choose a neutral Gray from the several applicable choices on the "Guide to Simple DIY Screens" sticky (2nd page) and apply with care. But be advised that whenever you use a shade of Gray that is dark enough to really affect (ie: improve on several aspects of IQ...) your end results, at least a small amount of recalibration to that Gray is necessary. usually very little though....and mostly centered around Gamma adjustments, not the Color palette.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page