Need help with Spandex screen size and projector placement among others - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 79 Old 07-11-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I never thought I would be this excited to be getting spandex in the mail... (will be here friday) I ordered 3 yards of the matte Moleskin in silver and white to do a double layer to catch any light that leaks through. Can't wait to test out the each to see which offers the best results. From what I've read not much is lost on the whites with the silver and it definitely helps out the blacks.

Its been a long 2 1/2 year journey to get started finally on the basement but its finally time. I have been lurking from time to time and am ready to get at least the frame and screen mounted this weekend. A little background and pictures

This is the basement trying to get ready for the screen. I have not done any treatment to it obviosuly and have a couple things to do to really get it ready for a full blown theater room. The room itself is 24' x 12'8" with a drop ceiling height of 7'. There is a door at the back but I have complete control of lighting in this room. Right now the projector (Epson Home CInema 8100) is ceiling mounted 14' back from the wall and about 4-6" from the drop ceiling

It is hung by a custom made bracket and down-rod that I made from another post on this site (sorry I cant remember which one). There are springs to dampen any movement and to be able to adjust for any off alignment there is.

The walls are a very very light baby blueish wood paneling that reflects a ton of light back onto the screen which I would like to either paint or cover with black cloth of some sort (any recommendations are GREATLY appreciated for room treatment) as well as paint the ceiling black back to the projector.

Right now I have calculated I want roughly a 120" to 133" screen (133" being very immersive and what I am liking with just being projected onto the wall). Using the Epson calculator it is saying I need 13'1" throw distance for 133" screen although the Projector Central Calculator is stating that a 120" screen needs 16' throw distance. I know with lens shift and zooming I have a lot of placement liberties but would like the best output from the projector at the best distance. I can mount to projector anywhere.

Right now I have a BOC I have been using for the last 2 years mounted to the drop ceiling frame just to show how the image looks at 133" or so screen size.

So my questions being what screen size do you recommend (all items in the front of the first picture are being relocated except the center channel and the two towers which are AV123 Rocket 450's) and what placement distance for the projector for optimal light output? I am just worried I am putting to much screen in the front of the room and it will look cramped with 130". I am not married to the spandex screen so if you think any other type of screen (Sintra, WA, etc) is better suited then no worries on that end either.

Aslo any guidance on treatment for the room to negate any light being thrown back at the screen (I have no idea what to do with my shiny brown checkered floor....)

Thanks guys, reading all the threads I have learned a lot towards making this happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 07-12-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Pulled up for lunch from work and a FedEx man was pulling up right behind me. Must be my lucky day. Comparisons with the BOC and each spandex coming later tonight when I get home biggrin.gif
post #3 of 79 Old 07-12-2012, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quick question for the collective, it is about to start raining and will possibly be raining all weekend. If I go get wood tonight and I wrap it in a tarp to keep it as dry as possible, how long should I wait to let it dry if it gets wet to cut the frame?

No rain last night so in the clear. Still trying to figure out if paint or part paint and fabric for the walls. Colors are hard to figure out since I have the stupid brown checkerboard floor. More to come and I guess I will just turn this into a blog about what I've done/doing. Screen at least tacked up tonight with some comparison pictures and maybe painting the front of the room. Behr Mouse Ear Black seems to be the go to for the front wall, anything similar at Lowe's?
post #4 of 79 Old 07-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'll tag along here since you're tagging along on my thread. smile.gif Looks like you've got a sweet 70's basement going. cool.gif
post #5 of 79 Old 07-13-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Haha thanks, I was hoping someone would take the ride with me. Yeah you have no idea. I just spent the last 6 hours out running around getting paint, in ceiling speakers, more white lightning moonshine extension cables to run the extra length when i move the receiver to behind the couch. I also bought a new 3TB GoFlex ext hard drive I have been waiting to get that went on sale at Costco yesterday.Good thing I have been saving up for this project for a couple months.

I also got an email for 20% off on purchases at Big Lots tomorrow too so its my lucky week. Will be looking for an area rug to put in the back of the room and anything else I can think of while this project is going. Will be a long weekend but well worth it. Updates and pictures to come as I go
post #6 of 79 Old 07-13-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

From the other thread I posted these in here are some pictures of the screen before I have done anything to the room. The spandex was held up by just push pins which took all of 10 seconds to set up. I am extremely excited for how these will look once I have the paint up and the screen framed biggrin.gif I will update more once I have been able to do some actual work in the room.

"Here are some comparison shots of the silver on top of the white (left half) and White by itself over my wood paneling held up by push pins. Excuse the shift in exposures. (Images 4 and 5 of this set are very indicative of the actual quality )

It was in a completely light controlled room (except for the light being reflected back from the walls and ceilings. The silver over the white just didnt have the pop that the white on the paneling only had.

Below is the white completely over the silve:

Here are some shots from the opening of The Dark Knight with the white over the silver:

You can see all of the light being reflected in this one. It is about 50% blown out of proportion due to the camera but it is very noticeable.

Hope this helps. The silver over the white still looked great but in my light controlled room when it was projected onto the white it just felt "right" and thats the way I am leaning towards layering when I frame tomorrow."
post #7 of 79 Old 07-14-2012, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

So you're saying that you don't care for the silver spandex as much as just the white?
post #8 of 79 Old 07-14-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I'm gonna "double post" this one time since memphisanid did as i feel that the information is relevant enough that if the two Threads get separated, it needs to be available.

I agree with your determination as far as the White over Silver looking better than the reverse in your specific instance. Having a Silver undercoating beneath a White surface was always the best of the DIY paint applications for a controlled to semi-controlled lighting situation produced Black levels that were superior to White alone, and that surely shows up in your images.

The problem back then was that what with most people Rolling on paint (2003-2005) that it was very difficult for people to get just the right amount of paint over the Silver to have it be thin enough to let a decent amount of light pass through to react to the Silver, and then be able to intermingle with the topmost image.
No issues in that regard using a far more porous Spandex.

It is obvious to me however that in fact, although the images on the White alone look "brighter", they are blown out as far as color saturation and a natural look of depth as opposed to the Silver/White combo. Bright isn't all it's cracked up to be, and obviously your White / Silver example shows that to be true as one can see that the darkened returned light beneath the White serves to curtail the overly bright, almost washed out appearance of the White Spandex alone. But there is a distinct difference in image quality in the first Silver over White example shown, where there is ambient light present. The White side is decidedly washed out.

Besides all that, since the Silver Spandex is not in fact a "reflective-oriented" material, the darker color serves to attenuate light a bit. Not much....but enough to be obvious in any direct comparison with a pure White material. Such is why .....for the most part, we resist the practice of making such obviously weighted comparisons between a White and a Gray, as the end results will always be slanted toward the White surface if sheer brightness is what is being considered as being most desirable.

And it's fur shur that brightness plays a strong part in self-determinations made by many, especially those who are new to the Front PJ genre. It's only when an obvious difference is shown that pre-set ideas and preferences tend to get reversed.

I think that if you had a more proficient PJ with at least 1800-2000+ lumens (...or the 8100 w/new Bulb) that the initial showing by the Silver over White combo would have been much more impressive. One thing that would have, or rather obviously did benefit the 8100's performance with Silver over White was the increased appearance of having deeper contrast. Fir those who have much newer PJs such as the Beamers from Epson / Optoma / Viewsonic and the like, I really do think that your results do not give enough emphasis as to the benefit of having the Silver on top.

But even so, for those with a dedicated and light controlled Theater, and who are especially are looking for a viable alternative to the far more expensive Acoustically Transparent Mfg Screen materials, what you've shown is of almost immeasurable value. The White over Silver does in fact look splendid.

I've taken the liberty of cut & pasting excerpts of the two identical scenes that are both shown with the varying Silver/ white combos.

The bottom image is of course White over Silver
SilveroverWhiteoverSilvercomparison.jpg

As seen, the depth of shadows, and the richness in color saturation is very apparent in both the Silver over White and the White over Silver combos, but lacking in the "White only" representation. Brightness is the only real advantage the "White only" has over the other two. The White over Silver does show a slight uptick as far as brightness as compared to the Silver over White, but not a whole lot.. Really, it's the presence of enhanced contrast that spells the difference over "White only."

Memphisanid, we all owe you a well deserved thank you for the effort you put out! So now comes the caveat. Using the same chosen scene (...how about the Night shot of the Joker looking through the Armored Truck's windshield...) can you put up a shot of the Silver over White that shows the Silver completely covering the White, the reverse as far as White over Silver, and one each of both alone? And take at least one shot of each in ambient light? If you can do that, such a complete dossier of examples for comparison would be well nigh invaluable to those considering a Spandex solution, and it will most assuredly find it's way into the "Advanced DIY Screens" compilation I'm making for potential "Sticky Status".

No matter what else, ya dun gud. cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #9 of 79 Old 07-14-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Morning MM, absolutely I can do that. Last night was a quick and dirty to get some comparison shots but tonight I will bust out the tripod and not have the camera in full auto mode with no flash. I will set it to keep the settings the same during each picture so we can all have a constant to compare the shots to.

Just some more background on the projector. The bulb blew about 6 months or so ago and I got a new one shipped next day by Epson which actually only has roughly 500 hours on the bulb (probably half of that was from me falling asleep during a movie and forgetting to set my Mac to auto power off so the screen was black but still running)I should have taken more pictures with the silver completely over the white and I will def try that tonight. You can see the wood paneling in the first shots of just the white so I know light was escaping through the back and the picture was very blown out. I just could not believe the difference when I could actually see it first hand eek.gif

Today is painting day and it should remove much of the reflection back onto the screen which will be very telling of actual results once people treat their room to combat that (obviously if possible on their end).

All of these screenshots were done with the projector mounted roughly 14' away from the screen. Last night after I had a few more beers and was in zone mode I finally moved the projector back to roughly 16' to test and see how BIG I wanted to go. WOW what a difference it made. I fired up the projector to see the difference in zoom and my wall disappeared and I had a full picture across (and on the ceilings some since at 14' I had to pretty much have it zoomed all the way open). I got so lost in it that I kept flipping through movies and ended up clearing the room for painting until 3am... whoops there went that productive night of beer and pizza and paint.

Today I am painting the room the following colors:
It doesnt show very well in this picture (think 2 shades darker for both) but it it the Red Theater from SW's and the 740F-5 Myth from Behr. Mouse Ears is going on the front wall and I am thinking of painting the first drop ceiling pannel Mouse Ears as well. Thoughts on that?

For the ceiling:
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7584-red-theatre/

For the walls:
http://www.color-swatches.com/behr/myth/740f-5/swatch.html

Do you think I should be ok with this color scheme?

I have decided to do a 138" screen as of now (120"x68") which would take up substantially most of the front wall with enough room for the speakers on the sides and center below and still have a 2-3" built velvet or felt covered matte. I wish I had a picture to show right now but I took down the spandex to wash down the walls before painting. I am trying to frame today so any thoughts or "OMG you might want to rethink this, this and this" is greatly appreciated.

More to follow through the day when my buddy arrives to get things going, sorry for the long rambling and clearly unfocused thoughts. I am a little scattershot today from lack of sleep (woke up at 5:30 to start going again, damn you excitement)
post #10 of 79 Old 07-14-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

You seem to be living on MMan's type of schedule. tongue.gif

As far as painting the Screen wall "Mouse Ears" Black, be advised that in a dark setting, the Front wall seldom if ever has any bearing whatsoever in the Screen's performance. The light reflecting off the Screen's surface cannot bend around to wash out the image, (...you'll note how much darker the Screen wall is behind the Screen than any other surface...? ) nor can any reflected light from the Walls or ceiling that hits and illuminates the screen wall do likewise. Only reflected / directed light that falls directly onto the Screen has any effect.

Of course, if your Front wall is Black, when the room's lights are up or ambient light is present, the additional Black reference provided by the Wall can only help you to perceive that the Blacks within the image are Blacker than they really are. Of course, that is a main proponent of the Black Velvet Trim most use.

In your instance, with such a deep Black wall, if you can make a shallow Frame and effectively get the Wrapped Spandex Corners looking really neat, you could effect a "Zero Edge" Screen of truly immense proportions, and that would be in almost every sense a "first" on this Forum.

All the Zero Edge Black Diamond Boys who spent $1000's will be spitting up bile...let me tell ya!

Also, to really make the ceiling's effect go away, you need to do at least 2 Rows of Ceiling Tiles. I have found that 4' to 5' of darkened ceiling coming off the Screen wall works best. To really do things right to a "T", you might consider matching the depth you paint the Mouse Ears on the ceiling tiles coming off the Screen wall onto the Side walls as well, as they are pretty darn close into the Screen size you show, and it certainly sounds like your larger size Screen will make the edges be even closer. At / in the least, consider doing one Row of Ceiling Tiles and extending the Black down the Side walls to match.

That's what I would do...and have done several times to the very best effect.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #11 of 79 Old 07-14-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

EDIT: Sorry MM I am reading this on my phone and did not make the brain connection that you wrote to extend down the walls. I will def do 4' out on the walls as well and go back with the blue

Im getting giddy just thinking about it. biggrin.gifWould it be even better to do 4' out on the walls as well with the black? I measured out painting the whole front wall but with such a large screen the amount of Paint needed is very minimal and I have more than enough to get the walls and ceiling. I remember you referencing some trim from lowes or HD to use as the outer frame, would you mind linking Please? I have no WAF to consider and value "WOW" and picture quality above all else

Also, I love the finish on my speakers but have no problem covering with the fabric to essentially make them non existent. Have you done this before? Any recommendations if you have?
post #12 of 79 Old 07-14-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Well well well, look what just arived. Of course when you need it right away it wouldn't get here until 7pm... Components are comlete eek.gif Now time to get working

post #13 of 79 Old 07-14-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisanid View Post

EDIT: Sorry MM I am reading this on my phone and did not make the brain connection that you wrote to extend down the walls. I will def do 4' out on the walls as well and go back with the blue
Im getting giddy just thinking about it. biggrin.gifWould it be even better to do 4' out on the walls as well with the black? I measured out painting the whole front wall but with such a large screen the amount of Paint needed is very minimal and I have more than enough to get the walls and ceiling. I remember you referencing some trim from lowes or HD to use as the outer frame, would you mind linking Please?

Go here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/865218/wrapping-black-velvet-on-trim-with-mitered-or-butt-joined-ends

........to find the HD SKU# and a Tutorial

Quote:
I have no WAF to consider and value "WOW" and picture quality above all else
Also, I love the finish on my speakers but have no problem covering with the fabric to essentially make them non existent. Have you done this before? Any recommendations if you have?

Why....Black Spandex, of course! Gotta be Acoustically Transparent...and the stretchy material will wrap oh so neatly around any Speaker shape.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #14 of 79 Old 07-14-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Well well well, look what just arived. Of course when you need it right away it wouldn't get here until 7pm... Components are comlete eek.gif Now time to get working

Gotta Love 'dose O's

They have become my "Go To" Receivers for trimming out Home Theaters, be it as "Stand Alone" amplification, or as Pre-Amps.

That wasn't possible before they improved the Heat dissipation issues, as the O's used to get blazin' hot without any fan assisted airflow.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #15 of 79 Old 07-14-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

This will be my third Onkyo (505 to the 606) that I have had. The 606 is still going strong but with the limited HDMI inputs and an as of yet discussed second 56" Samsung 1080p DLP that I have had for 5 years that has been hiding behind where the BOC used to hang I am going to take full advantage of the 2nd HDMI out on the 616.

One plus about the 27' long room is that behind the main seating area is the perfect space for a "2nd" room and a corner with the DLPs name on it. Save some lamp on the projector for the times I just want to mess around and I finally am going to use it after 2 1/2 years of it sitting there! This is addicting...

Any suggestion on how to incorporate the 606 in the system so it can still be of use?

Reinforcements are on the way so hopefully this starts going a lot faster
post #16 of 79 Old 07-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Ahh, the Onk love. I've got a TX-NR609 upstairs on the 50" plasma with Polt RTs across the front and Boston Acoustic surrounds with a 10" Infinity sub that I swear rattles the block when we're watching movies. I've contemplated putting all that stuff downstairs, but honestly, my theater is going to be mainly for me and the kids. Really looking forward to a pile of cold beers and Packers game this fall on the 124" screen. I have a friend who used to work for an electronics distributor and I got the 609 for like $320. Too bad he's moved on to another job as getting stuff at cost was always really nice.
post #17 of 79 Old 07-15-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

I know that there are a ton of firmware problems with the 616 BUT I am hoping that within the 30 day return window (if I am experiencing any problems anyway) they release a firmware that fixes all/most of the bugs. At $399 I just couldn't pass up the bad boy while its on a discount due to them.

I am really hating my ceiling tiles and the wood paneling... thank god I put a base of grey tinited primer on first because they sucked up paint like no ones business. I literally worked on the front wall and all of the crevices and ceiling tiles for a good 7 hours... I am not proud of myself for taking that long but it looks like a black hole with no white showing through. Awesome.

I still havent gotten to the red theater ceiling tiles yet but here are some pictures of everything so far. It feels like a completely different room. Good bye 70's, hello Nirvana... and I am digging the flooring with these colors.

The side wall is painted completely but the camera blew it out. You will notice the center of the front wall is light on paint and the patch I had to jerryrig to a window that was never covered up when the side porch was added is bare. I prioritized and covered completely where the screen will not cover. WIll fill in today once I get another quart of Mouse Ears... note to self "Self, next time buy more paint than the lady at the paint counter says so you wont need to make three trips 20 minutes up the road..."

post #18 of 79 Old 07-15-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Did you Roll the walls? If so, I'd advise you go back, lightly sand the surfaces, and then apply a sprayed coating of the Mouse Ears so you can get an even better finish. It looks good "as is" mind you...but a really smooth final finish will make the walls look almost like velvet.

(...but I won't blame you if you decline owing to all the time you've spent already... wink.gif )

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #19 of 79 Old 07-16-2012, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Well depending on how a 1/2" roller works on the ceiling tiles I still have to roll the red on I might be getting a sprayer anyway BUT as of now it is staying there. All my blood sweat and beers I drank to get it have to count for something, right wink.gif

Ok I had some time and help to take some pictures last night of all 4 separate set ups. I leave for vacation in a few days so I am running around all day but I uploaded all of them to my profile photos (Im still trying to figure out how to get them to show from the library without uploading them with the post... )

So check out my pictures in my profile sorted by screen type. I did a shot with no light, little ambient light and then enough light very close to the screen to simulate no control of light.

Ill try and figure out how to post the pics in the thread without uploading them all again
post #20 of 79 Old 07-25-2012, 08:56 PM

Liked: 11
excellent set of pics. as MM pointed out i think the white over silver look great (and better than the other three setups you tried). if you have the inclination, time, and extra few bucks, i would highly suggest you try white over black. but even if you dont i think white over grey looks pretty solid there.

looking forward to more progress when you are back from vacation..
post #21 of 79 Old 07-26-2012, 08:23 AM

memphisanid, how do the spandex variations compare to your old BOC screen? What kind of loss of brightness do you see, if any? I'm considering a false wall and AT material and the price is definitely right with the spandex.

XBL GT: Big Bucket
post #22 of 79 Old 07-31-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

And I am back from falling off the face of the earth. Sorry for the long delay but I needed to recharge after not having a vacation for 3 years now. Needless to say myself and a few buddies took a road trip down to the beach and fun was had by all (details omitted to keep from self-accusation of any events that did or did not happen...)

@Duane T - It is a definite improvement. It is hard to give a real judgement on the quality since I have not had the BOC up and projected on since I have painted the room and reduced the amount of light thrown back on the screen. I will try and get the BOC up over half of the screen to show the difference now VS the Spandex and take some pictures. Any specific scenes or movies to throw up there?

@Rukus - Thank you very much for the compliments and sorry for the long delay, I feel that I didn't take enough time taking the pictures of all 4 set ups (White, Grey, Grey over White and White over Grey) and will be taking some time to actually view over an extended period of time each set up and take better pictures (this time with my 50mm Prime lens to get sharper pictures) for comparison. As for the White over Black idea, since behind the screen is painted Mouse Ears black would the White only be a good indicator of what a White over Black spandex screen would produce?

MM I decided one night around 1 AM when I got back it was a good idea to try the Grey over the white again for the screen because i took so little time to enjoy it when I was taking the pictures before. So I cracked open another beer and went for it. After some re-calibration and taking time to view a bunch of different sources I was pretty impressed, actually VERY impressed by the black level change. The image was noticeably dimmer but the blacks were something I have been missing (of course it should have been this way since it was a grey screen but I was so used to the semi washed out image my mind took a while to quit screaming at me "NOOOOOOO") . Once my brain began to adjust for the dimness in the whites but the sheer actual black I was seeing finally I was starting to get excited again.

So with the grey spandex ( i still kind of chuckle every time I write spandex) over the white I have refound my urge for a great picture (the 8100 does a good job but with the screen size I am throwing it at the POP has slightly faded) which leads me to my current situation... the Epson 5010. I had little notion to even think of upgrading the projector but once I got started in the room and finally set everything up I just didn't have that WOW factor with the brightness coming off the screen. Then I did what I shouldn't have done and started reading reviews of the current generation of projectors... 2400 Lumens .... 200,000:1 contrast ratio... bright enough for 3d... DAMMNIT. The bug has bit me.

I am looking into purchasing one in the next couple months if I am unable to quell the urge. Any thoughts MM on the Epson 5010 in my setup?

I also built a flexy rack for my components and reintroduced the 56" Samsung that had been hiding for the last 2 1/2 years into the mix.

The NR616 allows the Samsung to be used when I don't want to fire up the projector and waste the lamp life. I will be hopefully painting the ceiling this weekend but I have to help some friends move so I am unsure if I can fit it in. Again, sorry for the delay in everything and I will hopefully get back on track asap.
post #23 of 79 Old 07-31-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:

@Duane T - It is a definite improvement. It is hard to give a real judgement on the quality since I have not had the BOC up and projected on since I have painted the room and reduced the amount of light thrown back on the screen. I will try and get the BOC up over half of the screen to show the difference now VS the Spandex and take some pictures. Any specific scenes or movies to throw up there?

Thanks for the info, and any scenes would be fine. And thanks for sharing your project.

XBL GT: Big Bucket
post #24 of 79 Old 07-31-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane T View Post

Thanks for the info, and any scenes would be fine. And thanks for sharing your project.

I'm glad to let everyone in on my (exponentially longer) journey. I hope that at the end I will have been able to provide a good basis for comparison in one environment of many different set ups. I am going to try hopefully have time tonight to move the Epson 8100 into the very front of its throw distance to increase the FL to a respectable level since moving it back 2 or so feet has removed it from the recommended distance for my screen size. (I wish I would have noticed that before but I was in such a rush using the projector calculator that I missed that crucial caveat when moving it back.) I will take pictures of before and after to show the difference (if any can be seen from the pictures)
post #25 of 79 Old 07-31-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so I moved the projector up about 2 feet and I am falling back in love... I tried to take some before and after pictures but the before pictures did not come out very well. Alas here they are

Before (way over done on the ISO as it was at 800 and blew the picture out. If you look at the bottom right of the screen you will notice the picture of the cover art and how blown out it is. This was in no way indicative of what the screen looked like):

After Move:

Needless to say I am very very happy with the blacks after viewing this scene that is used so often in projector reviews. Any thoughts?
post #26 of 79 Old 08-01-2012, 01:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

I always shoot on Auto from at least 15'-20' away and use Zoom to frame the image, always leaving about 20% if the surrounding screen wall viewable.

If the ISO causes the photo image to be too dark, I simply reduce Zoom and step forward until the result compares with my live visuals.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #27 of 79 Old 08-01-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks MM! I used Auto last night on the XSi but I was not including any of the surrounding wall, just framing the screen from about 25' back with my 50mm prime lens. I will put the 18-55mm back on and try that way with some wall real estate included.
post #28 of 79 Old 08-08-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Hi Memphis, I too am interested in comparisons between the spandex and BOC. Did you end up deciding to stick with silver over white?
post #29 of 79 Old 08-08-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Hey curttard, sorry to you and above about no updates recently. I havent had much time to do anything at the house. I am going to stick with the Silver over the White but I will be doing pictures soon of the BOC over the Silver to show a difference. I went ahead and bought the Epson 5010 and am in the process of getting some time to mount it. I have a wedding to go to this weekend so I will try my best to update ASAP.

Sorry again for the lack of updates
post #30 of 79 Old 08-08-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
No problem. Looking forward to comparisons when you get around to it.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page