Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

(Color Components)
100ml - filtered/distilled water for rinsing color components from utensils
50ml - Liquitex Basics - Napthol Crimson Red
25ml - Liquitex Basics - Phthalocyanine Green
16ml - Liquitex Basics - UltraMarine Blue
9ml - Liquitex Basics - Cadmium Yellow - Deep Hue
Liquitex Basics Gold 1.50 oz (...get a small tube of this and have it handy in case you notice any tendency of the completed Mix/Colorant to push toward Blue)
Be careful using those Glass Mirrors!

OK, so that's the whole recipe? Using the fine tip on the sprayer, approximately how much mix do I need to cover the ~30 sq feet of the mirror? (or are those quantities listed above sufficient) I want to make sure I order enough to cover it the first time biggrin.gif

Also hah, I heard a Lowes' commercial for the HV2900 - $99 biggrin.gif Yay eBay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 08-04-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 206
No.
Your last post had a link to RS-MaxxMudd LL

So that constitutes almost the entire bulk of the paint mix.

I supplied the correct colorant recipe, and from the amount that makes (approx. 4 oz.) you would use 1 ounce of colorant mixed into the entire RS-MaxxMudd LL amount. ( over 3 quarts...)

the object being to darken the RS-MM LL mix just enough to further enhance contrast but still maintain virtually all of the mix's original gain.

1 Ounce is all that can be added without switching to Silver Fire so as to also maintain gain as a mix darkens up even more. but any shade of SF above 1.0 is not going to have a higher gain than the suggested mix above.

You got that?

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #33 of 43 Old 08-04-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I supplied the correct colorant recipe, and from the amount that makes (approx. 4 oz.) you would use 1 ounce of colorant mixed into the entire RS-MaxxMudd LL amount. ( over 3 quarts...)

Okay, so I'm mixing RS-MaxxMudd LL with the colorant recipe a few posts up. Let's see if I have this right:

~1/2 gallon RS-MaxxMudd LL v.2: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1139061/rs-maxxmudd-mix-the-official

20 oz. Delta Pearl Metallic #02601
8 oz. Liquitex Basics Silver
12 oz. UPW flat
12 oz. Minwax Polycrylic - Satin finish
15 oz. distilled/tap water**

~4 ounces Colorant: (use 1 oz. of final colorant mix in the RS-MaxxMudd LL mix) http://www.avsforum.com/t/1419944/best-paint-for-a-mirror#post_22268045

100ml - filtered/distilled water for rinsing color components from utensils
50ml - Liquitex Basics - Napthol Crimson Red
25ml - Liquitex Basics - Phthalocyanine Green
16ml - Liquitex Basics - UltraMarine Blue
9ml - Liquitex Basics - Cadmium Yellow - Deep Hue
Liquitex Basics Gold 1.50 oz

So let's put that all together...

Shopping List: (rounded up milliliters to ounces for minimum purchase amounts)

19 oz. Distilled Water
20 oz. Delta Pearl Metallic #02601
12 oz. Behr 1850 UPW Flat
12 oz. Minwax Polycrylic - Satin Finish

&

8 oz. Liquitex Basics - Silver
2 oz. Liquitex Basics - Napthol Crimson Red
1 oz. Liquitex Basics - Phthalocyanine Green
1 oz. Liquitex Basics - UltraMarine Blue
1 oz. Liquitex Basics - Cadmium Yellow - Deep Hue
2 oz. Liquitex Basics - Gold

It looks like the Liquitex Basics are sold in 4 oz. and 8.5 oz. tubes, so I'll snag one 4 oz. of each color, plus two 8.5 oz Silvers at either Michael's or Amazon, along with the Delta Pearl, then hit up Home Depot for the Behr & Minwax stuff. I have one of the Poland Springs water coolers for distilled water. Found some spray instructions here, albeit for the Wagner:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/799078/a-wagner-for-mississippiman

Tentative plan:

1. Remove mirrors from old wall & prep for install
2. Purchase paints
3. Mix paints according to spec
4. Spray on mirror (3 coats?)
5. Enjoy!

I need to pick up some black felt and design a cool frame for it, too. What do people usually clean the mirror with for prep, Windex?
post #34 of 43 Old 08-04-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Just seeing what I can find online:

128 oz. Dilstilled water: (I kid, I kid - I mean, just look at the shipping prices biggrin.gif)
http://www.amazon.com/Nestle-WATER-DISTILLED/dp/B000P9BAFA/

8 oz. Delta Pearl Metallic: (via this post) $6.66 + $5.99 shipping = $12.65, times three = $37.95
http://www.amazon.com/Plaid-Delta-8-Ounce-Ceramcoat-Acrylic/dp/B000YQK3CA

32 oz. Behr 1850 UPW Flat: (in-store only, apparently) $11.68
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202761546/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053

32 oz. Minwax Polycrylic - Satin Finish: $15.66 + $3.64 = $19.30
http://www.amazon.com/Minwax-63333-Polycrylic-Protective-Finishes/dp/B000BZYYH4/

4 oz. Liquitex Basics: (7 total - Napthol Crimson Red, Phthalocyanine Green, UltraMarine Blue, Cadmium Yellow - Deep Hue, Gold, 2 x Silver) $3.99 * 7 = $27.93 + shipping
http://www.dickblick.com/products/liquitex-basics-4-oz/

So it looks like about $97, plus whatever shipping at Dick Blick runs. Next time I'm by the mall I'll hit up Michaels & Home Depot and snag me some paint! And if they don't have what I need, now I have some resources for ordering online...
post #35 of 43 Old 08-04-2012, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mirrors acquired.

post #36 of 43 Old 08-04-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

The mirrors were heavier than I anticipated...going to be feeling that teardown for a few days tongue.gif They are mostly intact, a few scrapes on the edges, but fortunately they were not glued onto the walls - just a top & bottom metal rail. Measured in at 1/4" thick. I think I am going to go with the largest mirror in the bunch in order to fit the 800p resolution of the projector; I've decided to use a PC as the primary source, so I can use the full resolution for other stuff (gaming, web surfing, etc.). Using the 16:10 calculator below, it looks like I can do an 84" W x 53" H screen, with a 99" diagonal. The largest mirror I have is 5' x 7', so I'd have to trim off 7" from the height, which I'll do with some black velvet.

http://www.draperinc.com/ProjectionScreens/CustomSizeCalculator.asp

I'd like to make the screen removable, so I'll conjure something up with that Mirror Mastic glue and a custom frame that uses the trim as support. Should be fun. Also, I've settled on the Viewsonic PLED-W500 (~$599) for the projector:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-PLED-W500-80-Inch-Front-Projector/dp/B005LHM6OA/

* 1280 x 800 resolution
* DLP technology
* 20,000-hour LED bulb
* HDMI input
* 500 lumens
* 3500:1 contrast
* 3D-capable (requires $360 Viewsonic VP3D1 3D processor & $99 ViewSonic PGD-250 Active Glasses)
* 8.4" x 6.4" (1.6" H)
* Instant-on (no warmup time)

It's been getting good reviews, and the footage on Youtube looks pretty good, so for $600 I'm willing to give LED a shot (mostly for the "cool" factor, I'm such a nerd! haha). Plus it's portable - I'm replacing both my PowerPoint projector (XGA Optoma EzPro745) and my Home Theater projector (720p Mitsubishi HD1000u) and have recently moved, so consolidation is a plus for me (it's also going in a small multi-purpose mancave room, so tiny dimensions are a Good Thing). I am also anxious to give it a shot outdoors on my 12' Walmart inflatable screen; we'll see if 500 lumens of LED goodness can hold up outdoors!

Next action list:

1. Design & build frame
2. Confirm paints & purchase
3. Paint screen & assemble frame on wall
4. Purchase projector
post #37 of 43 Old 08-05-2012, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Had one casualty in the move:

I'm not sure if I can glue it back together and spray it - would the line be seen through the paint when the light from the projector hits it? It was a clean break and fits together perfectly. Otherwise I'll just have to resize the whole thing.

I also forgot, there was a small power outlet cutout from the large mirror I wanted to use. Might have to re-size that one, too.

Even after the cuts, both will make decently large screens, just not as large as anticipated, unless the glue/spray thing works. Fortunately the room is only about 200 sq. feet, so it's not an overly huge viewing area to begin with...
post #38 of 43 Old 08-06-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Personally, I would not chance it, because the layer of paint is so thin and translucent, it's almost assured you'd see a line.

Re-size and be confident of your end result.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #39 of 43 Old 08-06-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Personally, I would not chance it, because the layer of paint is so thin and translucent, it's almost assured you'd see a line.
Re-size and be confident of your end result.

OK. Just for a final check, does my shopping list look good? I plan on painting this weekend. Here is my plan:

1. Purchase paints from list
2. Mix by hand
3. Clean mirror & Spray 3 coats onto glass - found a procedure here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/630888/black-flame-light-fusion-patent-pending-diy-mix-disclosed

If that looks good, then full speed ahead cool.gif
post #40 of 43 Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaido View Post

OK. Just for a final check, does my shopping list look good? I plan on painting this weekend. Here is my plan:
1. Purchase paints from list
2. Mix by hand
3. Clean mirror & Spray 3 coats onto glass - found a procedure here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/630888/black-flame-light-fusion-patent-pending-diy-mix-disclosed
If that looks good, then full speed ahead cool.gif

Number #2?

No way! You absolutely must use this. No exceptions....no substitutions.
http://www.amazon.com/Homax-69011-1-Gallon-PolyPro-Galvanized/dp/B000ELORFE
It might be available "retail" at Home Depot or Lowes.

As for that older Thread example, that was done using a old Formula. And the instruction became rather oblique because at the time there was FooFaRah about supposed "marketing" (...even though the Thread was specifically encouraging DIY efforts...)

Since then, having been issued the Patents (US & UK) for the "RBYG & Reflective Mix Processes" and "Varied and Specific Substrate use", continual upgrades and changes have been made to the "DIY Oriented" Base mixes and Painting methods. It would not be wise to use any specific instructions or methods found on a 6 year old Post.. Also...and perhaps even more relevant, the Spraying process has changed due to the use of more effective and efficient Electric HVLP Guns.

The members who have done actual Light Fusion screens have all simply followed adaptive reasoning and specific instructions provided by PB-Maxx and myself when asked. So I'm glad your asking first....absolutely!

Go here and review:
http://www.avsforum.com/search.php?search=Light+Fusion

....and then ask any questions that you feel pertinent and/or that address any inconsistencies as far as information or materials / the spray application process.

You'll be combining the current "Silver Fire v2.5" at whatever "Colorant amount" you need / desire along with the Mirror, with the most explicit and complete spraying instruction I can provide.

So.............get'ter dun! cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #41 of 43 Old 08-06-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Number #2?
No way! You absolutely must use this. No exceptions....no substitutions.
http://www.amazon.com/Homax-69011-1-Gallon-PolyPro-Galvanized/dp/B000ELORFE
It might be available "retail" at Home Depot or Lowes.
As for that older Thread example, that was done using a old Formula. And the instruction became rather oblique because at the time there was FooFaRah about supposed "marketing" (...even though the Thread was specifically encouraging DIY efforts...)
Since then, having been issued the Patents (US & UK) for the "RBYG & Reflective Mix Processes" and "Varied and Specific Substrate use", continual upgrades and changes have been made to the "DIY Oriented" Base mixes and Painting methods. It would not be wise to use any specific instructions or methods found on a 6 year old Post.. Also...and perhaps even more relevant, the Spraying process has changed due to the use of more effective and efficient Electric HVLP Guns.
The members who have done actual Light Fusion screens have all simply followed adaptive reasoning and specific instructions provided by PB-Maxx and myself when asked. So I'm glad your asking first....absolutely!
Go here and review:
http://www.avsforum.com/search.php?search=Light+Fusion
....and then ask any questions that you feel pertinent and/or that address any inconsistencies as far as information or materials / the spray application process.
You'll be combining the current "Silver Fire v2.5" at whatever "Colorant amount" you need / desire along with the Mirror, with the most explicit and complete spraying instruction I can provide.
So.............get'ter dun! cool.gif

Welllllllll glad I asked! biggrin.gif Is there a "most current procedure" for the entire process posted somewhere? Like a reference thread containing the most up-to-date information? I haven't seen that Homax mixer before. If not, I'll write one out for us after this project is completed. Too much conflicting information in the historical archives, haha.
post #42 of 43 Old 08-06-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Progress and revision, followed by "hands on" helping as substituted for composing new Tutorials. As such, we depend upon those like yourself to document and reveal their own experiences. The variables and differences always provide more "real world" info than a non-changing, static Tutorial.

Still, I usually toss a "Project Specific Tutorial" in at the time I'm actually doing one in real life. Beyond that, it's all about you Guys! It's become a point of order with DIY'ers

But I'm watching...waiting.....and always ready to advise.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #43 of 43 Old 08-06-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Progress and revision, followed by "hands on" helping as substituted for composing new Tutorials. As such, we depend upon those like yourself to document and reveal their own experiences. The variables and differences always provide more "real world" info than a non-changing, static Tutorial.
Still, I usually toss a "Project Specific Tutorial" in at the time I'm actually doing one in real life. Beyond that, it's all about you Guys! It's become a point of order with DIY'ers
But I'm watching...waiting.....and always ready to advise.

Much appreciated! Documenting is my forte wink.gif

Projector arrives Wednesday...couldn't resist. Amazon had it for $575 on sale...jumped up to $683 after I placed my order! Now I can afford the paint biggrin.gif

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-PLED-W500-80-Inch-Front-Projector/dp/B005LHM6OA/
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page