DIY Screen Help Please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-12-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will it be for a dedicated Theater, or Family Room use? Theater, in a basement, with no windows.
Will lighting be controlled, directed, or absent alltogether during viewing? No lighting
What color are the Walls, and the Cieling? White, but textured and unusable.
Where (how far from the screen) will you sit? Normal distance.. I like the screen at the edges of my vision.
What will the majority of your viewed content consist of? 3D movies and games
How big is your room? Dimensions? 7ft tall, 12.5ft wide, and really, really long
How big of a Screen would you like? 4ft x 8ft or around there
Are you rollin' in dough...or just as cheap as most all of us? Cheap, would like to keep this under $50 if doable.

I live in Kansas so no do-able here. Only similar stuff is this: Link here which I think is the newer, crappier stuff.

Am I stuck with BOC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-12-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Home Depot / Thrifty White Hardboard cut to 48" x 85" (98" diagonal) $12.00

Room colors were concerning "reflectivity", not use for Screen

$50.00 is pretty low. I'd suggest $75-80.00 including some good looking trim. And that price only if you already posses the needed Rollers / Tray.

Be realistic and you can accomplish something that will be far more that you expect.

BTW....what PJ will you be using?

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 7 Old 07-12-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Optoma GT750E 3000, it's the only 0ms response time 3D projector out right now. I'm a semi-pro gamer and response time = life or getting fragged.

I can get a 100" elite screen for $98 shipped, at $80 + rollers I'd just go pre-made. I was hoping someone knew of a do-ables clone I could get here in Kansas.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-13-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

After lots of research I think I've decided to go with blackout cloth. I found a nice vendor online that sells everything you need and even has a detailed tutorial on how to build the frame: Link here

Anyone ever used that site before? He has 2 reviews on Amazon, both 5 starts.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-13-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

A great many have, I'm sure...we just don't feel that BOC alone can measure up under any comparison to a well coated Light reflective gray surface. BOC comes in at .85 gain, and while that actually helps to keep contrast (black levels) at a decent point, it does nothing to maintain the dynamics of Colors or white levels.

Many people construct BOC screens then paint them. Still others purchase a 'el Cheapo retractable and paint them as well. Simply put, you'll not find a high performance Mfg Screen that employs High Contrast material at the price point that Elite is coming in at, and certainly the BOC screen falls pretty short "as is".

Obviously your budget is a real consideration, and if going DIY as we advocate isn't in your cards, I'd steer you away from the BOC version and tell you to get the Elite. If it falls a bit short, then later all you'd have to consider is applying a DIY coating.

BTW, for as long as that vendor has been on the big "A"....to only have 2 reviews seems a little anemic. Wouldn't surprise me if those "reviews" are self-provided. That's quite common on "A" ya know. On here we rely on real reviews from actual end users who have accomplished something special.

I'm just sayin'.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #6 of 7 Old 07-13-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Ah thanks for the info! After lumber and such the total build was going to come in close to $100, for close to the same price I can get an 92" EliteScreen M92UWH or 100" M100XWH Links here and here. My worry was I want to leave it unrolled 24/7, will this cause stretch marks?
post #7 of 7 Old 07-13-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzman76 View Post

Ah thanks for the info! After lumber and such the total build was going to come in close to $100, for close to the same price I can get an 92" EliteScreen M92UWH or 100" M100XWH Links here and here. My worry was I want to leave it unrolled 24/7, will this cause stretch marks?

No...on the contrary it will help keep the Screen flat. Retracting it causes Curling. Even so, making some "Tensioning Tabs" out of Velcro and Dowels can help keep the Screen absolutely flat...something few Nfg Screens ever can maintain in any situation.

If you get one of those, be sure to revisit the idea of applying a high performance coating. Such a surface will render your 3D and 2D gaming with such depth and detail as to give you a decided "one up" on the competition. A matte White will NOT do nearly as well, and seeing the vague outline of a Shooter standing next to a dark Column can mean all the difference. With the Matte White you would not have nearly the detail and depth of field you'd have otherwise.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page