DIY Screen Construction - Help needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2012, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Forum,
So I'm sold on giving the DIY screen construction a try and see how it goes. I'd like to build my own 120" 16:9 screen, and follow MM's instructions on spraying this with SilverFire v2.5 / 5.0. BUT, I'm not sure what the best material components and contruction techniques are.

I've read in a few posts about folks using 1x3 strips of wood, with a 1/4" trim over which they've stretched blackout fabric. I've read a few posts about people using a mirror and spraying on top of that. And I've read a few posts about Sentra...

So i guess what I'm looking for is a recommended best practice and experience on what folks have done that work BEST. Ideally, someone has step by step illustrated guide (you know, with pix!) that a fairly handy guy like myself can use to break out my tools and make something great.

I would imagine that a perfectly flat screen is ideal, with no artifacts or 'bumpiness', that accepts the paint spray well, and is NOT going to warp or have either a micro or macro imperfection.

My eyes and ears are open to the expert guidance of those who have gone before me! biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I might interject.................

Sintra......

Sintra.............

SINTRA !!!!!!!!

The amount of labor required vs cost balances out to be drastically in favor of Sintra, especially since it is both Flat, smooth, and does not require any Frame whatsoever....only the surrounding trim.

Next to my taking the time to smooth and prep Drywall because I'm doing a Screen that is larger than 122" diagonal, virtually every Screen I've done these last 3 years has been "Sintra" based.

Why? Because it works, and is about the easiest of the most guaranteed workable substrates to deal with. To me, that's really important.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Ok! Sold on Sintra. Where can I buy a 5' x 10' piece? smile.gif Don't suppose they carry it at the local Tap Plastics? And what color to buy - white, black, gray? Does it matter since I'm painting it anyway?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyone View Post

Ok! Sold on Sintra. Where can I buy a 5' x 10' piece? smile.gif Don't suppose they carry it at the local Tap Plastics? And what color to buy - white, black, gray? Does it matter since I'm painting it anyway?

Piedmont Plastics
1969 Davis Street
San Leandro, CA 94577
Toll Free: 800-246-1848
Phone: 510-746-2200

I called and got a quote of $98.00 including the one cut you'll need off the length ( 107")

That Sir, is a excellent price, as many locations can...and do charge up to $160.00 for a 120" x 60" x 6mm sheet.

However........the material is not Branded as "Sintra" but it is White Expanded PVC sheeting that I was assured was "as smooth as" if not smoother than Sintra. As long as you inspect the sheet before it's cut to check for both texture issues, as well as surface defects (...as long as one side is pristine your Golden...) I do not think you can go wrong.

After you acquire a sheet (...or in the interim...) we can guide you through Mounting, Painting and Trimming.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Agreed - that's an Awesome price. Thanks very much! I can do a pickup Friday afternoon, if that works Ok. ?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:55 PM

Are you taking a break? How's the project coming?

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Took a short break. Something about a wife needing an office and kids needing a room painted, lights installed... yada yada. rolleyes.gif

BUT, the screen has been mounted to a 1x6" subframe, no velvet edging as I'm going for the floating screen look. Like the Black Diamond Zero Edge. It's flawless so far. So, like I said, mounted to the wooden frame, bracketed into place and hung on wall. Ready for painting!! I'm about to follow the SilverFire 2.0 thread and hopefully spray this weekend.

And I have installed new recessed lighting in the sloped ceiling. I decided to use Halogen lights (85w BR30) in some Juno Remodel Cans, designed for a sloped ceiling. But the best part is the Black Alzak Baffles, which completely eliminate ANY ceiling reflection. Looking at the recessed light from across the room, you cannot tell it's on, other than by looking at the flood of light below. These recessed light baffles are specifically designed for home theater for exactly this reason. Decided to wire these on dimmers with a couple different sections for better light control. Turned out nice.

I promise more pictures to come once I get a chance. cool.gif

FWIW, even the White Screen on the Sintra board makes a darn good screen. No, the blacks aren't amazing, but its a bright white screen, you wouldn't expect anything else. My Epson 6010 is mounted at 12' from the screen, which is at the very front of the usable range. Wow, this PJ is a light canon. It works great at this size and football has NEVER been better. It's unbelievable what you can see in the background the detail is sooo cool. It's quazi IMAX being 12' away from a 10' screen.

So, once the screen is sprayed, I expect nothing but spectacular results. Very excited.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Took a short break. Something about a wife needing an office and kids needing a room painted, lights installed... yada yada. rolleyes.gif
BUT, the screen has been mounted to a 1x6" subframe, no velvet edging as I'm going for the floating screen look. Like the Black Diamond Zero Edge. It's flawless so far. So, like I said, mounted to the wooden frame, bracketed into place and hung on wall. Ready for painting!! I'm about to follow the SilverFire 2.0 thread and hopefully spray this weekend.
And I have installed new recessed lighting in the sloped ceiling. I decided to use Halogen lights (85w BR30) in some Juno Remodel Cans, designed for a sloped ceiling. But the best part is the Black Alzak Baffles, which completely eliminate ANY ceiling reflection. Looking at the recessed light from across the room, you cannot tell it's on, other than by looking at the flood of light below. These recessed light baffles are specifically designed for home theater for exactly this reason. Decided to wire these on dimmers with a couple different sections for better light control. Turned out nice.
I promise more pictures to come once I get a chance. cool.gif
FWIW, even the White Screen on the Sintra board makes a darn good screen. No, the blacks aren't amazing, but its a bright white screen, you wouldn't expect anything else. My Epson 6010 is mounted at 12' from the screen, which is at the very front of the usable range. Wow, this PJ is a light canon. It works great at this size and football has NEVER been better. It's unbelievable what you can see in the background the detail is sooo cool. It's quazi IMAX being 12' away from a 10' screen.
So, once the screen is sprayed, I expect nothing but spectacular results. Very excited.

That sounds sweet. Are you going to post any pictures? Do you have any idea if one can join two pieces of Sintra to get a larger screen size than the 5 x 10 sheets allow? Maybe mounting them on a frame as you did and mudding the gap? Is Sintra easy enough to cut?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Pics to come once project is complete. No idea on multiple pieces of Sintra. This is basically an extruded sheet of PVC which I guess you could join together, mounted to a subframe, or something. But the gap would have to be completely invisible as you'll see any imperfections. Personally, I would think anything bigger is better to be floated on a smooth, painted wall.

I'll bet MississippiMan has some experience to share on BIG screens. wink.gif
Old 10-04-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Personally, I would think anything bigger is better to be floated on a smooth, painted wall.
I'll bet MississippiMan has some experience to share on BIG screens. wink.gif

The wall is block so smooth is out. I suppose I could put drywall up over it. Practically the whole wall will be covered by screen anyway but I don't know how to build a wall either. tongue.gif