Spandex World out of Moleskin Matte (Silver) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-03-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Title says it all. There is a back order of at least 1 month for Moleskin Matte (Silver). Is it worth waiting for or is there an alternative I should look at? Plan was silver over white for an AT screen and Epson 8350.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-03-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post

Title says it all. There is a back order of at least 1 month for Moleskin Matte (Silver). Is it worth waiting for or is there an alternative I should look at? Plan was silver over white for an AT screen and Epson 8350.

Blame the current demand for it because of recent uptick in DIY popularity. Maybe this will give them reason to restock in a bit larger quantity?

Using a Simple Gray instead would work, but you would have to expect some additional attenuation. Better to put your order in now, use the White until it (SM) arrives.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 11 Old 08-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Drat, I was actually going to pull the trigger and order 3 yards of it recently. I've been using a couple bed-sheets and lately it seems as if I can see the threads in the sheet, but I haven't quite yet figured out if it's just the screen-door-effect from my ancient projector. I might fire it up tonight and do some up-close looking. I think I'll need a large area of a constant color to figure it out. Probably an old Disney cartoon as I really noticed it on Baloo in The Jungle Book when my daughter was watching it the other day.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Any other sources for the Silver Spandex????? I am having my basement finished and it should be ready next week - I have everything for the HT I need except the screen :-) and I would really like to get the AT Spandex.

Any thoughts?????

Thanks,
JimmyK
post #5 of 11 Old 08-11-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I suggest you stick with a known "poison" and place an order so as to get your place in line.

The quality and properties of the particular Spandex are what makes it particularly suited for the job. And deviance from that by trying something else might be OK...or a complete disaster.

Now....to effect a good example you'll need White Spandex as well, so if you want something ready to shoot on, and since you'll need to build a Frame anyway, getting halfway there isn't a bad course of action to take.

The only real penalty is paying for Freight 2x.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #6 of 11 Old 08-20-2012, 08:07 PM

Just ordered 3 yards each of the Moleskin matte silver and white. Seems it may be back in stock. Keeping my fingers crossed. BTW, is the moleskin matte white suitable as the backer material?
post #7 of 11 Old 08-21-2012, 04:31 AM

It absolutely is. and the recommended backer for the Silver
post #8 of 11 Old 08-24-2012, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What kind of gain can one expect from and Silver spandex screen backed by white spandex?
post #9 of 11 Old 10-17-2012, 10:49 AM

Has anyone gotten an update on the availability of the moleskin matte silver? I sent an inquiry to spandex world but have not heard back. Seems like it has been out of stock for quite some time, and there's no option to pre-order that I see.

I was also searching around and found this product on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Nylon-Spandex-Milliskin-Matte-Silver/dp/B006MBK830/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350495933&sr=8-1&keywords=matte+silver+spandex

Milliskin instead of moleskin... not sure if it's a similar product of equal quality or an inferior version. Does anyone have any experience with it? I'm ready to build a screen for my new projector!
post #10 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 12:16 PM

Milliskin (from what I've been able to find) is the thin version of moleskin. Unfortunately the thickness is a big part of why it works so well as a screen. Maybe you could not stretch it very much and/or do two layers? I'm currently using some cheap fabric while I wait for the good stuff to get back in stock. Please let us know if you find another source or hear back from Spandexworld.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-19-2012, 11:58 AM

Thanks CJ! Sounds like I'm stuck waiting to see what happens with the moleskin. I did get a response from spandexworld yesterday saying they expect to have the matte gray back in stock in 5-7 days, but also saw someone in another thread saying the communication they received from spandeworld was that they don't know when or IF they will get it back in stock. So, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page