Best paint for Optoma HD20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-03-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a used Optoma HD20 for use in my living room. Right now I just have it projecting on my wall which is white. I am planning on building a screen for it to place above my fireplace and am looking for some help on the best paint to use. My living room is 18x13 with a large opening to the kitchen and large opening to the hallway. I can keep the light down fairly dim but as it is not going to be a dedicated theater room there is always going to be some ambient light. I am planning on putting the projector on a shelf on the wall and the screen above the fireplace will give me a 16' throw give or take a few inches. I am planning on Building a 60" x 107" screen out of foam board. Which paint would give me the best performance in moderate ambient light. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-04-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Silver Fire 2.5. 4.0*. (* ounces of colorant)

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 4 Old 08-05-2012, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Silver Fire 2.5. 4.0*. (* ounces of colorant)
Thanks.

I've been trying to read up a bit about the super wide function on the HD20. Not much info on it though. Anyway since I am going to be building my own screen out of a 60"x120" sheet of foam I would get the most out of it if I were to build a 2.01 aspect screen. I realize that it cuts off a little of the 16 to 9 ratio and takes a little off the sides of a 2.35 ratio. For me I don't think I would ever miss that little bit of the image. Also I have noticed that the projector that I bought used has a rainbow artifact in the upper left part of the screen. In super wide mode it is gone. I got the projector for quite cheap and it had only a 100 hours on the bulb so I think the 2.01 ratio would be a good compromise. Anybody else done a 2.01 screen and hated it? Thanks.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-06-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 216
It's not the loss of image content, but the increased amount of light overspill you'll have to deal with.

Better to simply size the Sheet correctly of 2:35:1

If there is anything you should be willing to give up, it's the "height" of the 16:9, so you can retain a maximum of the "width" of the 2.35:1

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page