Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-08-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Guys,

Projector (HD33) with 1800 lumens.

The screen is a white DIY blackout screen (the same material that prevents light into a room).

The screen size is exactly 99'' and is 220cm in wide. The ceiling colour is light blue.

At night when my room is totally dark I get huge reflections from screen, at day time the picture is not too good as well.

Main purpose is for a home theatre and a paint or screen that is able to have good image with some light and shows good white/black picture quality.

I'm based in the UK and would like to know good paint brands, to be able to see the image with some lights on. And what other tools I need to buy to get this done?

Thanks and enjoy holiday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Hello Karbooon!

Welcome to AVS's DIY Screen Forum!

Where in the UK are you? I've traveled there a bit, doing a few Screen projects, from Glasgow down to Dover, with a stint or two in Dublin as well.

So what paints are available to use over there?
Easy.
Dulux Light & Space Ultimate White in Matte (Lumitec Technology) Tinted to a neutral Gray of N8.0 value

Spray using a Wagner Electric HVLP (W500)

The Dulux paint is like putty-thick, so you MUST thin it using at least 25% water to Paint volume (25/75). I'd get 3 UK quarts of the Dulux & Quart of Distilled Water. Have the Paint Technician add all of the Paint / Water into a 1 Gallon "Pot" (...that's what they call "Cans" in Ol' Blighty" biggrin.gif ) and have them shake it all together. Then remove 1 Quart of the "pure White Paint / Water" and place into a Quart "Pot".

Now have them take the remaining 2 Quarts and mix in the required N8.0 Gray Tint.

You now "lightly" spray a coat of pure white onto the BOC. Let dry. Spay another Coar. Now using a soft Sanding Sponge, lightly "brish sand" the BOC surface to smooth out the inevitable "Fuzziness'" spraying intp BOC creates. After the 3rd "White" coat, and one last light "brushing", the surface will be primed, and ready to let the Tinted paint go in and create a silky smooth surface.

Finish Coat spray technique should be using the "Duster" method, where you apply the paint from a distance of 14" away (35.5 cm) and move across the surface at 1 meter per second. You overlap each preceding row by 60%.

You should wind up applying a minimum of 4 of such quick, light coats. You can lightly sand after the second Finish Coat, but do not sand the last coat.

Last tip. Make sure all sides around the screen have a level backing (Cardboard - Wood - Taunt Plastic) so there is no drop=off or recessed ledge. If there is, you'll have issue with getting paint to apply evenly around the perimeter of the Screen. It will be too light. You need a continuing surface to run off onto for at least 4" then you drop your 40% of Row height and return the other direction. Never stop in the middle....never start in the middle.

Do all that and it will turn out brilliantly. cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 8 Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

^^^^ not sure if serious.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-08-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbooon View Post

^^^^ not sure if serious.

How so?

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 8 Old 08-09-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Man I couldn't understand anything you said, I need brand names to paint my blackout screen. I think I'm confused and will end up paying 3KPounds for a black diamond screen.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-14-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Man I couldn't understand anything you said, I need brand names to paint my blackout screen. I think I'm confused and will end up paying 3KPounds for a black diamond screen.

Well, your new.....so who would expect you to grasp it all, or even a goodly portion if you have not done any other related reading? What steered you this direction? Or who? It's a little passing strange to have someone who says he has made a successfully made a BOC Screen ask for a way to improve it or create something even better, then run screaming the other direction when some ideas and instruction comes his way.
be assured and rest easy....I have no doubt we / you can accomplish your goal with relative ease. If your willing to try.

If you don't recognize the Brand name Dulux, you haven't been into a paint department....anywhere....no?

Did you print out my post and try taking it into a major Home Supply store and asking the Paint Tech for Dulux Light & Space Ultimate White in Matte (Lumitec Technology) Tinted to a neutral Gray of N8.0 value

While you might not know much of anything....the Tech certainly should / will.

Tell you what, you can haul my hind end over to London, have me bring paint and Gun, and feed / water me quite splendidly for less the 1/2 the 3K pounds a BD Screen costs. And I'll make you a bigger screen that looks and performs better than a BD. cool.gif Mate, I'd do it for just the Skymiles, and another go-round on the Eye.

Believe me when I tell you I've been there...done that....with components I managed to source there or had shipped over to meet me.

Just making a valid point. DIY screen making isn't hard nor expensive, but there is always a bit of a learning curve involved. And a degree of willingness to learn....and be a bit patient while doing so.
I, and many others can give you all the advice you need to accomplish something brilliant. Something you can be proud of. And if you do it as instructed, the savings over a expensive Mfg Screen are so great, you'll have most all your funds for your next holiday already waiting.

You'd have to love that!

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 8 Old 08-14-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mate. thank a lot for help.

I'm currently based in Brighton. My setup is in Qatar/Doha.

Do you think I could make a DIY 100'' screen, paint it and ship it with me to home?
post #8 of 8 Old 08-14-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Mate. thank a lot for help.
I'm currently based in Brighton. My setup is in Qatar/Doha.
Do you think I could make a DIY 100'' screen, paint it and ship it with me to home?

Probably not cost effectively. What makes sense is to make the least expensive yet most serviceable DIY screen possible, then sell it for the cost it took to build it. I can hook you up with a couple different Forums where you'll find plenty of interest...especially if it's a well known High Performance DIY screen.

You just have to know there are others out there looking for the quick, easy route, but they also want "affordable" That's DIY screen making personified.

Now then, once once you get back in Qatar, use the materials available there, and make another Screen.
Recently, I helped a member in Saudi Arabia to get his DIY screen accomplished. We blew his paints right through the notorious SA Customs and now he's keeping it real cool.

Many don't think you can ship paint through the Mails or Courier services, but that's just bunk. If it's Water Based, and low VOC, it's a'gonna make it through if you at least fill the Customs Declaration paperwork out correctly. ( I just list it as "Artist Screen Paint / Non-Flammable / Water based" )
That's all you have to do.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page