DIY Pink Floyd circular screen paint question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-20-2012, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi, new member here with an oddball question. I'm in a Pink Floyd tribute band (www.notfloyd.com in case anyone's curious). We just acquired the above trampoline and are planning to paint it to be a poor man's Floyd circular projection screen. For those of you not familiar with the concept, this is what the real deal looks like:

Most of the time while video is being project onto the screen there will be ambient colored lights firing all around. We're not sure yet what projection equipment we'll have access to. Taking these wildcards into account, what kind of paint do you recommend for this job?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-20-2012, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

To throw another wrinkle at you, perhaps literally: I'm told the trampoline breaks down into 3 sections, so paint may not be the answer. Any suggestions for fabric to overlay on top of the trampoline fabric.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-21-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Hello burning yen!

Hey You!

Welcome to the DIY Screen Forum!

I'm MississippiMan, in the flesh.

It's the Mother if all DIY Screen requests. You've just made this one of The happiest days of our lives on this Forum. While others might find themselves backed up against The Wall, or in the least, Walking on Thin Ice, for me, tackling such a project, being Comfortably Numb as I am, you can Breathe easily when you speak to me at any Time knowing that it always my intent to Eclipse the normal gaps between Us and Them (...the Screen Mfgs...) and provide you with a solution that will not cost your Band too much Money, nor send you screaming, with the urge to Run like Hell, on the run from the potential Brain Damage that can occur when seeing such unconventional postings.

However, be advised that the screen cannot just be any color you like, or just any weave design. By rights, it should be Rear Projection. And a short Throw Projector mounted a low as possible to the bottom edge of the Screen so that the lamp's reflection is not visible to the audience. (..Optoma GT750e 3000 lumens.. $678.00 on Amazon..)
The Frame for the Trampoline is well suited for stretching Spandex across.

Stop.....Don't leave me now....lest you think there is nobody home, or that my mind is simply full of empty spaces. I'm just trying one of my turns at being whimsical.tongue.gif But ya gotta know, the show must go on.

While I sit here, waiting for the Worms to claim me, I'm starting to think thoughts that might seem decidedly outside the wall.

4 Way Stretch Spandex in Gray might be a exceedingly good suggestion for your Great Gig in the Sky endeavors. The trial of using actual Rear Projection material in the size you'd need could make you want to throw up your hands and say "Goodbye Cruel World" at the cost involved...although it's hard to put a price in feeding the young lust of those who clamor for such classic Retro music.

It would be vera nice if my suggestion could bring the boys back home to a place where they can accurately depict PF in action.

If we / you can nail this, it will serve as another brick in the wall of the edifice that is the AVS's DIY Screen Forum.

So Goodbye Blue Sky, hello Lighters held high !

And...if you do not find my suggestions helpful, simply banish me to The Dark Side of the Moon

(...you didn't think I would let that slide by, did you? biggrin.gif...)

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #4 of 12 Old 08-21-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the response! Unfortunately at the places we play a rear projection solution isn't going to work. You could say we play "with our backs to the wall." Any suggestions for a front projection solution?
post #5 of 12 Old 08-21-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningyen View Post

Wow, thanks for the response! Unfortunately at the places we play a rear projection solution isn't going to work. You could say we play "with our backs to the wall." Any suggestions for a front projection solution?

Well then, the only other solution is a midestly reflective ultra dark Gray and the use of considerable lumen power. The projector itself must have the oomph to offset the degree of light other sources would present to the screen.

What are the exact dimensions of the Trampoline frame?
Do you currently have a Projector?
How effective can you be in placing Stage lighting so that as little as possible will wash against the Screen?

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #6 of 12 Old 08-21-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

I'm told it's a 14' trampoline, but I suspect that includes the frame. We don't have a projector yet, and I know at least some venues we've played have their own digital projectors that we would likely use. Positioning of the lighting will vary and won't be under our control, but we can probably ask the folks running the lighting to keep the light off the screen as much as possible while video is running.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-21-2012, 11:38 AM

MM dude, you gotta get out more!!! But that is funny as hell...

Burning yen. My vision is that the projector would be mounted to the lightbar that is typically associated with stage lights. Also. what is the ceiling height at the venue?

I think the first question you need sit down with is "Can this be big enough to give the effect you want when it has be placed high enough to clear the drum kit?" Then come back to the forum with size and throw distance estimates. That will allow smart guys like MM work their magic for you.

If you really love your country, you're gonna have to love moonshine
post #8 of 12 Old 08-21-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningyen View Post

I'm told it's a 14' trampoline, but I suspect that includes the frame. We don't have a projector yet, and I know at least some venues we've played have their own digital projectors that we would likely use. Positioning of the lighting will vary and won't be under our control, but we can probably ask the folks running the lighting to keep the light off the screen as much as possible while video is running.

Well..............Lumen output will be everything...and it's at best problematical reasoning to think their PJ offering would be all things to/for every occasion and need. And what if there is no such provisional Projector?

As such, I would suggest the Optoma TH 1060P....a 4500 lumen beast of a 1080p unit. It's contrast low at 2500:1, but that is compensated by virtue of the need for a dark Gray, ambient light resistance screen surface. The darker surface will by nature provide the perception of boosting the Contrast as Blacks will appear to be much deeper.

Just how spectacular your Display looks will determine your satisfaction as to how well it integrates with and enhances your performances. Does that seem a bit obvious? rolleyes.gif Sorry...I'm just a bit excited at the prospect of both you and your Audiences getting hit with the "OMG" factor. smile.gif

Here's a thingee. You should get the Optoma and try it out on the existing Trampoline surface. At a 31' throw the "O" can toss out a 11' (132") 16:9 high image. Unless you plan to employ special Video processing Hardware/Software that will auto crop and mask the PJ's output, you'll lose as much projected image content in that Format as you reflect. So the Formatting of Choice would be 4:3, circularly masked to a 133"diameter .(...usually provided with a simple "Port Hole" shield placed directly in front of the lens...) Without such masking you'd have a LOT of visible light spill around the Screen's perimeter.

But lets say your inclined to use the venue's PJ. Well, you'd have to know well in advance if such would fit your needs, especially if it's pre mounted in a permanent location. You could wind up shooting a smaller image than you desire, or one that does not frame the screen's desired location.

So......the screen you build must be very adaptable. The actual Trampoline surface should have a light coat of dark, reflective gray, that can resist repeated...but careful folding storage. (...well address that later on...)
You should also have a High Gain/High Contrast substitute covering...either untreated Silver Spandex or a Coated Black Out Cloth. But doing that might be a bit excessive. Personally, I thing going with a Dark Gray-High Contrast, High Gain coating on the Trampoline, and keeping some ND Filters on hand to rein in excessive brightness would be the most practical solution. While such coatings are not ideal for Home Use...we do have the ability to offer extremely dark Silver Fire coatings in the 4.0+ gain range. The imparted granularity coming from the abundance of Reflective particles is not an issue when the nearest viewer will be at least 30' away

Any way it's sliced, decisions must be made that will affect how well you can use the Screen...and even how many times you actually can use it. I'm game. Really BIG Screens that must perform in adverse conditions are my specialty.

Let's get'ter dun !

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #9 of 12 Old 08-10-2013, 07:48 AM

Hi, I'm in the same boat here.

New Pink Floyd project. Thinking about buying a second hand trampoline frame to convert into a screen. Want to learn as much as possible regarding materials, costs involved, etc etc

Andy
post #10 of 12 Old 09-29-2013, 03:21 AM

On a similar note, we already have a screen but we cant suss how to get the actual visuals in a circular format, can anyone hep with this?

Thanks

post #11 of 12 Old 09-29-2013, 08:57 AM

Out of curiosity, what did you use as a screen.

To get the visuals in a circular format there's a number of ways. The old fashioned time honoured method of using a port hole shield on the camera lens, or load the film into something like Adobe After effects and add a circular port hole through that.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-29-2013, 09:17 AM

Hi there
Thanks for that, we've tried the time honoured method, of which I ended up tearing my hair out, will look at adobe after effects though.
Re: the screen, we use a 52" pop up photography reflector screen without the reflector material, so therefore just white. Thanks
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page