Building custom dual-screen over TV with in ceiling storage. Input please. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am in the process of finally adding a projector to the mix in my viewing room. It is a family room that has a 63" Samsung C8000 plasma for daytime, and my plan is to add a projector and build a custom dual screen that would be stored in the ceiling, but when pulled down would sit in front of the plasma. The dual screen idea would be to have one screen with a high contrast gray for some ambient light viewing, and one white for night time viewing. That would be the ideal setup but in reality I probably end up just using one screen type if the dual screen looks too complicated to build.

The room is 30' x 16 1/2', walls are painted dark brown. When watching the plasma at night you can not see the walls. The TV and the screen are/will be on the 30' length wall, so the projector will be mounted with the lens about 13' - 13 1/2' from the screen. The plasma screen (front of screen) is 4" from the wall so the back of the projector screen would need to be about 5" from the wall. The ceiling has 6 recessed lights about 3' from each 30' wall, and I can turn off screen side lights, and dim the other set for good light control. There are windows but I have those controlled with BOC when needed.

Looking at Epson 5010 and JVC RS45 for my projector. Watching movies and sports. I want a 2.35 screen, and if I did it this way could easily store the masking for 16:9 just as the screen would be and pull that down when needed. The inside of the screen housing would be either painted with mouse ears black of use black velvet if that's not too expensive.

The idea I have is to build a housing frame into the ceiling so that the screen can be stored when not using it and watching the plasma. I have been reading about the spandex screen solution and this seems like a good option, but I am also really interested in the RS-MaxxMudd v.2.1 or RS-MaxxMudd LL v.2.1 options. If I went with the paint then I would probably want to paint over fabric rather than Sintra to reduce the weight of the screen. Would this be advised, or is the result from painting on a completely flat surface going to deliver a lot better performance?

I will work up some pictures if needed to explain the proposed design and setup. Any opinions or advice is welcome.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe a good option here might be using an 8020 quickframe and then mount a Sintra board to that and paint it. I could make the screen 113" x 48" and mask for 16:9.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Hi Michael,

No need for 2 screens. between the light output of the 5010 (...the JVC lags behind...) and the concessions and preparation your making as far as your Paint Scheme and Lighting, a simple by higher performing DIY paint like RS-MaxxMudd is just your ticket.

As far as substrate, might be well suggested that you do a double wrapped BOC, painted with Screen paint on one side, and your choice of ceiling paint on the other.

If tthe screen assembly wasn't to be inverted on the ceiling, I'd be strongly urging you toward Sintra. But in this case, fabric makes complete sense as the best route to take.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Old 08-27-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

I will add that the screen, when put in storage position, would not be touching the ceiling. There would be an inch or two of separation with the way I want to design it. I am really looking for best picture of course but haven't read about many (or any) people that are painting canvas similar to a Sintra board. Not sure if that matters as to why you suggest using painted BOC over the Sintra board?
Old 08-30-2012, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up ordering the white and silver matte spandex to try that first. I will plan to paint a screen some time later but this will be a quicker setup for me to get going than the painting process. I can use the same frame that I will build once I am ready to try that next step.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Screenies!

Hurry up!

tongue.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 08-30-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

I will be painting using RS-MaxxMudd v.2.1 or RS-MaxxMudd LL v.2.1, not sure which one will be better but I can figure it out before I get to that point. Only problem with screen shots is that I didn't order the projector yet! I am trying to make a final decision but it's difficult to choose between the 8700UB-R at $1600 and a current year projector at $1000+.

Once I have everything rest assured I will be doing screen shots with the different combinations so it will hopefully help the next person looking to do this.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

The 8700 is a Fab unit, with 100K :1 CR and a very bright output. Nothing in the sub $1500,00 range compares at present.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 08-31-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

I ordered the 8700UB, hopefully it gets delivered by next Friday. My spandex order should have shipped today because I received my tracking number. So at least I can get a head start on building the frame this weekend and getting ready fr the projector to get here. More later
Old 09-01-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Much more I'm sure. The 8700 is gonna impress fer shur!

I've been there...done that with the 8700 several times and it's always been an over-achiever.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 09-17-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

So far I am pleased with the 8700UB, but I am not completely happy with the gray spandex over white spandex yet. For watching BluRay movies it works well, but when I put up a white pillow case over a section of the screen the white level completely blew the gray screen out of the water. This was the original reason why I was wanting to do a two screen system, when I watch sports I want the whiter whites. I need to do some testing with some more materials, and possibly try the RS-MaxxMudd in addition to some other fabrics.

The idea is to have black blacks for watching movies, so the gray screen may be a good final choice, but I definitely want whiter whites for sports. I have the ability to use more than one screen so why not?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hang in there. A member is getting ready to spray his AT -oriented Spandex Screen with a high gain paint (RS-MM-LL)

Success might well prompt you to follow suit.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 09-18-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Here is the problem I believe I am seeing with the spandex screen - resolution. I went to Jo Ann's after work and got a few fabric samples, flat white, shiny white, and shiny silver. The idea behind the shiny material was to be used as a backing to potentially brighten the spandex image. Well when I put up the matte side of the shiny white fabric it looked sharper than the spandex. Then I tried the silver matte side, and eventually the silver shiny side. The silver shiny side offered the best contrast of anything, dark blacks similar to the gray spandex, but brighter whites. Since I was just taping it up over the current screen it was not tight, but I was able to make the center part fairly tight. The areas that had ripples did not look good, hot spotty, but the flat tight section looked good. I am guessing this is a similar effect as with the Silver Fire paint.

The flat white fabric (I think it was called Muslin) was not good, it was the worst of everything I have tried. Hard to describe other than low resolution, and seemed to make the overall picture looked washed out unlike the matte side of the shiny white fabric.

So I am washing the gray shiny material to clean and remove wrinkles to try this again with it mounted and stretched properly with no ripples. More later on this. The matte white side of the shiny white material is still up for consideration with sports as well but I want to try this shiny silver material first.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Also, rather than painting the spandex, I would probably go the route of painting a good fabric instead. But I will wait to see what the other members results end up with.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post

Also, rather than painting the spandex, I would probably go the route of painting a good fabric instead. But I will wait to see what the other members results end up with.

OK....most of my thoughts still gravitate around your need for a very lightweight assembly, and that would seem to indicate that Spandex...with it's lightweight weave and low resistant stretch-ability (ie: ...needing a less heavyweight Frame...) would work better than any cloth that would need to be pulled tight and require a substantially braced Framework.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 09-18-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the help. Originally I just wanted to try the spandex first because I thought it would be the easiest implementation for me to get things going. But I am a DIYer at heart and always have home projects going on, so this is just another in the list. Ultimately I want to have the best possible solution. I have no problem building another more sturdy frame for something else.I don't need an AT screen, having the center speaker under the screen is working fine right now. I have an M&K THX150 speaker setup so the center channel is angled y default for above or below screen, I have it angled up right now. Also since they are deep speakers to go with an AT screen I would have to place it about a foot from the wall. The AT properties are definitely worth trying in case I do move to a dedicated room and can build a false wall though, so the painted spandex is still something I am interested in for the future.

So the spandex got me going and movies still look good, but I am definitely going to look for something that gives me a better picture for the current setup I have.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

3mm "Painted" Sintra on a Frame is your best choice as far as an ideal substrate. Framed Blackout Cloth painted comes in 2nd bit will be more effort and carries the risk of wrinkles and Fabric Bowing

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 09-19-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

I found a local company here in Houston that sells the Sintra (I still want to call it Sinatra though haha), and they have the size I would want - 60" x 120". If I am going to end up with a painted screen like this I will just do a 2.35 screen and build some masking. At 120" wide that would be sufficient for what I want, and they can cut it down to 51" for me.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post

I fund a local company here in Houston that sells the Sintra (I still want to call it Sinatra though haha), and they have the size I would want - 60" x 120". If I am going to end up with a painted screen like this I will just do a 2.35 screen and build some masking. At 120" wide that would be sufficient for what I want, and they can cut it down to 51" for me.

Remember, you'll need some excess Wood as a Boarder outside the edges of the Sintra to affix your Screen trim, and you'll need some center bracing to avoid any outward / inward bowing (...especially if you are getting 3mm Sintra. You should have a minimum of 3' of "inside" support around the edges, so 1 x 6 x would be the preferred width of the Clear Poplar you might / should be using.You'll have to use a very thin adhesive on the center Braces, something like a benign, re-positional Contact cement

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 09-19-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Right about the frame and support. I did similar already for the spandex, but it's difficult to find straight boards. I might go with an 8020 frame since that would at least be straight all around. My current wood frame isn't completely straight and I ended up straightening it with weights for a few days. If it was mounted directly to the wall in 6 places it would be fine, but it's not right now.

If I go with 8020 then I would drill holes through the frame and mount the border over that as detailed in the attached image. I think this will work. For the frame I can build it with 2 or 3 vertical center supports. The border would be wrapped in velvet and the bolts would recessed so they don't show through the velvet.