Need a Quick "Hang & Watch" Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-28-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm moving into a new house this weekend and my wife has given me a room for my projector!smile.gif The room is 15' x 11' with an 8' ceiling. The screen wall will be an 11' wall and the back of the room is open. It is a "step down" living room off an entryway with an dining room behind it Right now the walls are "Antique White" ( a yellowish, off-white color), white ceiling and a saltillo tile floor.eek.gif I can control the light with blackout curtains in both rooms. Projector is an Optoma MT300 (it's an HD66 that was private labeled for WalMart) 2400 lumens, 4000:1 contrast that will be ceiling mounted. I know that the room colors are about as bad as you can get for a projector but they are what they are for now. Seating will be about 12' from the screen. I'm thinking of a screen size in 100"+/- range. This screen will be a "for now screen", but eventually the room will get painted and a large piece of carpet will go down (imagine an area rug on steroids). I want to do a painted screen so whatever I use should be paintable (the walls are super heavy texture so they are a no go). My goal is to get the projector and screen installed - you know - "mark my territory" before she changes her mind. After some of my other projects get done, I will come back to turn this into as much of a theater room as I can. At that point, building a rear wall to fully enclose the room is not out of the question. Any ideas you have will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-29-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Where do you live? Location has much to do with what might be available to you.

Do-able board if west of the continental divide.

Sintra (4' x 8' x 6mm) is a decent choice otherwise.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #3 of 5 Old 08-29-2012, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Live in Phoenix. There must be a Sintra dealer out here. I took an old NEC LT380 (3000 lumens, 800:1) over there yesterday to play around with screen sizes on the wall. Even with afternoon light (the window faces north) coming through the 2" faux wood blinds, the picture was "watchable". Not fair, nowhere close to good and not even in the same galaxy as some I've seen on here. Decided to go with a 98" diagonal simply because I only have to cut the length to 85. For a frame, I'm going to use 2 1/4" baseboard trim with a 1/2" rabbet cut on the back shot w/flat black lacquer sealer (left over from a kitchen I did recently). This will leave me a net 96" diagonal screen. I'll attach the frame to the wall wit 1/4" head trim screws into screw in wall anchors. When it comes time to paint the screen, I can remove the screws, take the frame apart and wrap it in black velvet. Then I can mask the walls, ceiling and floor and shoot the screen. I already own 2 of the Gracos and a Wagner HVLP conversion gun, so spraying will not be an issue. I was leaning toward Sintra but I wanted some input from those more experienced than I.
Thanks
post #4 of 5 Old 08-29-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Laird Plastics
301 East Watkins
Phoenix, AZ 85004
Manager:Leon Todaro
Phone:866-262-7819