Best way to attach velvet border to spandex over wood frame? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-29-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I'm using screen door spline for stretching the spandex, is there benefit to doing something clever that keeps me from having to nail/staple through the spandex for attaching the baseboard/velvet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I just found out about that screen tight spline stuff reading here today. Sounds much better than staples.

I was thinking of wrapping the velvet to peice of trim, then attaching that to the frame with velcro

I don't know.. I"m going to investigate some more. Whatever I do, I'll take photos and post here.

I currently have a 92" 16x9 AT Accuscreen (made by Draper) that cost me $200. Worth every cent, but
they only make them in 16x9 up to 110". Now I want a 130" 2.39:1 Cinemascope AT screen, and the
commercial offerings cost at least $1500!!! As far as I can tell, my Accuscreen is made out of
Spandex of some sort. It's very stretchy and has no visible weave unless you put your nose right up to it.

Looks like I"m back to DIY, thanks to the wonder of SPANDEX!
post #3 of 10 Old 03-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChupe View Post

If I'm using screen door spline for stretching the spandex, is there benefit to doing something clever that keeps me from having to nail/staple through the spandex for attaching the baseboard/velvet?
I'm wondering the same thing. Is there a definitive answer?
post #4 of 10 Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post

I'm wondering the same thing. Is there a definitive answer?

Stapling seems to get a bad rap. Using 1/4" staples, applying the Spandex becomes a very simple, easy process, and any needed removal is effected with the tip of a Butter Knife.

Using Screen Spline is of course a method that allows a quicker dis-assembly, but in the same regard it requires that the stretch be made / held over a longer area before the spline is inserted, so I'm not seeing where in fact it's use makes the Job any easier during initial assembly. Screen Spline makes pretty good sense when a actual Screen material, or Blackout Cloth is used, because those materials do not stretch much, if at all, and they can be prone to ripping / tearing. Not so Spandex. In the time I have been using it, and have had to remove a few Staples, even inserting a sharp point under the stapled Spandex did not result in any tearing or perforation. Spandex is pretty resilient to tearing, being so "stretchy" and all.

But the question pertained to Trim, did it not?

If the perimeter of the Spandex Screen is greater than the actual viewable area, then one should Wrap the baseboard with velvet first, then simply apply the Trim to the Screen Frame using small, 1.25" Bright Finish Nails if one does not have a Air / Battery Powered Stapler that uses the even shorter, smaller 1" Finish nails.

Applying Velco to a stretchable Cloth, and then expecting it to hold lengths of Trim firmly to / against such a surface (especially at the Mitered corners) seems pretty misdirected. What happens when you determine to pull the Trim back off? Unless you also staple the Velcro base pad to the Frame, it will pull outward with the Trim, and possibly ruin your Screen's stretched surface.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #5 of 10 Old 03-05-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

But the question pertained to Trim, did it not?

If the perimeter of the Spandex Screen is greater than the actual viewable area, then one should Wrap the baseboard with velvet first, then simply apply the Trim to the Screen Frame using small, 1.25" Bright Finish Nails if one does not have a Air / Battery Powered Stapler that uses the even shorter, smaller 1" Finish nails.

Just to clarify, because it seems wrong...

You're saying to wrap the trim used for border in velvet, staple the velvet to back of trim, then nail through the velvet using a 1.25" bright finish nail to attach the now wrapped trim to the frame?

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #6 of 10 Old 03-05-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
...and countersink the finish trim nail below the black velvet.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-05-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

Just to clarify, because it seems wrong...

You're saying to wrap the trim used for border in velvet, staple the velvet to back of trim, then nail through the velvet using a 1.25" bright finish nail to attach the now wrapped trim to the frame?

That process has been described., explained, and illustrated a great many times.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #8 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
And yet...I don't recall seeing it ever done in a thread. Deeper into the rabbit hole I go...

Edit - I didn't have to go very far. Found your thread MM. Weird that i've never seen it in all the times I've browsed the forum.

On a side note...I was watching a video the other day and the builder wrapped the FRAME in velvet before he put the four corners together. He then stretched the screen material over the "back" of the frame so that when he hung it it created a velvet wrapped shadowbox with the screen material in the back. Thoughts?

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #9 of 10 Old 06-03-2013, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, MM. I finally got around to wrapping the trim and borrowing a friend's brad nailer and now have it installed. Excuse the blurry cell phone camera shot.

post #10 of 10 Old 06-10-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hey, this posting got overlooked IMO. That's a nicely done project there....lacking only both a response (...well not anymore...) and the posting of some screen shots. There are actually not many such shots on the Board here, and I KNOW the potential is there for others to provide some.

So.....all ya all, get'ter dun!

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page