Spandex build in progress - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 09-04-2012, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I spent the long weekend working on getting my screen build a bit further down the road toward completion. I'm doing a 126" silver over white screen using 1x4 poplar and Screen Tight Splines. Have the screen up on the wall, and will work on wrapping moulding in velvet and affixing over the next couple of weeks:

Frame build in progress. It's pretty hot out there!

Screen wrapped and ready to go on the wall.

Bobby DeNiro and his little friend.

Many many thanks to everybody in this forum for their collective knowledge sharing (Especially MississippiMan and Mephisanid).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-04-2012, 01:48 PM

Liked: 11
Nice, I am doing it similar to you. I bought 1" x 4" x 8' poplar for the top and bottom, and 1" x 4" x 6' for the left right and two bracing boards like you have done. Not going as big as you, I am thinking mine will be a 110" screen. How well did the screen tight spline work? I need to stop by Home Depot to check that out.
post #3 of 23 Old 09-05-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

My original plan was for a smaller screen, but that was what worked out given where I had to put my in-wall speakers given the stud cavities.

The Screen Tight stuff works great. Since I was doing a two-layer screen, I made use of the dual channels pretty effectively. The inside channel i used for my under layer (in my case, white), and then the over layer (silver) went in the outer channel. It's really a four-handed job, so make sure you've got helper. One person to stretch the screen and another to lay the spline in the channel and use the spline knife (like a little pizza cutter) to knife it in. Be aware of how evenly you are stretching the spandex--it's very forgiving if you're using the 4-way stretch moleskine from Spandex World that most ppl on here use, but you could end up with a bit extra on whatever side you strech last. The fourth corner may end up needing a staple or two to keep the edge neat. But, since you've put pretty even pressure on the spandex all the way round, using the spline, it's not going to cause a problem.

Note that while I and others who've done this and put pictures up mitered the corners of the screen spline, their website indicates that you don't need to, and after working with it, I'd agree. It was just convenient for me to do since I had the mitre saw set up already for the frame.
post #4 of 23 Old 09-07-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Ok. What is the exact spline you guys using? Having trouble looking it up on home depot. Got a link?

Any pics on how you apply the spline to the frame?
post #5 of 23 Old 09-07-2012, 07:24 AM

Go to Lowes, home depot doesn't carry the screen tight brand, and I believe that's where SuperChupe bought the spline from. I can look up the brand and the size when I get home.
post #6 of 23 Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 PM

Liked: 15
This is what I used on my spandex build. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100065822/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=screen+tight&storeId=10051 and I used 5/32 screen spline what ever brand HD had in stock.
post #7 of 23 Old 09-08-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHNEEDOO View Post

This is what I used on my spandex build. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100065822/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=screen+tight&storeId=10051 and I used 5/32 screen spline what ever brand HD had in stock.

Thanks.

So what you guys using for frame?

1x4 poplar or 1x2 studs? What's the advantage?
post #8 of 23 Old 09-08-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

Thanks.
So what you guys using for frame?
1x4 poplar or 1x2 studs? What's the advantage?

1x4 Kiln Dried Clear Poplar, carefully hand picked. 1x2 sticks are fine for corner supports, but lack the strength for longer Perimeter runs.

....and it's not easy to find 1x2's that are straight and true in lengths past 6'

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #9 of 23 Old 09-08-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

poplar it is...thanks you sir!
post #10 of 23 Old 09-12-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

I did use Screen Tight (both the channel piece and the splines), and as MichaelG said, HD didn't stock them in our area, but Lowe's did.

I didn't take any pics of the application. It's a lot easier if you have a helper to stretch the spandex while you are laying down the spline and using a spline knife to push it all (spandex and spline) into the channel.
post #11 of 23 Old 09-13-2012, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
just curious, is it possible to spray paint spandex? anyone tried that?
post #12 of 23 Old 09-13-2012, 03:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post

just curious, is it possible to spray paint spandex? anyone tried that?

I've sprayed Mfg AT Material, and that was no picnic. Concern about "plugging hole" was always there. Spandex has a much tighter weave (smaller holes but far more of 'em)

After the Spandex is stretched, if one was to Dust the cloth using a 1.0 mm needle, and proper spraying technique, I'm sure it could be done.

But "sure" is not a profession of "absolutely" so take that under consideration.

Do you need AT properties? If not, and if the Spandex is simply a Substrate option, then the potential for success would be greater.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #13 of 23 Old 09-13-2012, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

I've sprayed Mfg AT Material, and that was no picnic. Concern about "plugging hole" was always there. Spandex has a much tighter weave (smaller holes but far more of 'em)
After the Spandex is stretched, if one was to Dust the cloth using a 1.0 mm needle, and proper spraying technique, I'm sure it could be done.
But "sure" is not a profession of "absolutely" so take that under consideration.
Do you need AT properties? If not, and if the Spandex is simply a Substrate option, then the potential for success would be greater.

Yes, I'm seriously considering AT screen for larger image size so that can hide speakers behind it, so what can be done to increase the gain of the SF V2.5 4.0 mix (I need higher gain for larger screen to achieve 40-50fL plasma-like image with the pj in best mode/eco mode biggrin.gif)
post #14 of 23 Old 09-13-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yes, I'm seriously considering AT screen for larger image size so that can hide speakers behind it, so what can be done to increase the gain of the SF V2.5 4.0 mix (I need higher gain for larger screen to achieve 40-50fL plasma-like image with the pj in best mode/eco mode biggrin.gif)

Well...that's an ambitious goal. Honestly...getting you into a darker SF mix and bumping up the gain is entirely "do-able'....but the potential for "Sparklies" and / or a noticeable difference between the reflective particles and the surrounding Darker Gray hue is what can lead to a Grainy look during brighter scenes.

Spandex itself does not exhibit any tendency toward Morie patterning, but I cannot say for certain that would remain as such after a high gain, Darker Gray w-Silver / Pearl infused coating was applied.

All in all, if you approach this project as a experiment that holds great promise...but also the risk of a few issues, you should not be too deflated if it all goes fairly well, but not perfectly. You would be...after all...going down a road that has not been surveyed. However...that didn't stop Lewis & Clark, and I'm a'bettin' they saw some incredibly beautiful things along with the Grizzlies and Mosquitoes. biggrin.gif

I'll be along for the trip should you decide to start out. Just be sure your Gun is fully loaded....Ok?

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #15 of 23 Old 09-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

If SF being applied on substrate like spandex, do we still need 2 layers of spandex? white over silver? or white over white? since the top layer will be the SF mix, with white backing will provides more gain?
post #16 of 23 Old 09-14-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

why would you want to paint it on spandex?

paint on a wall. a whiteboard, etc.
post #17 of 23 Old 09-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

why would you want to paint it on spandex?
paint on a wall. a whiteboard, etc.
I would like to utilize the acoustic transparent properties of the spandex to allow me going for a larger screen size in which I can't do if I use other substrates like whiteboard, sintra...etc as it will blocking the front speakers
post #18 of 23 Old 09-15-2012, 04:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

If SF being applied on substrate like spandex, do we still need 2 layers of spandex? white over silver? or white over white? since the top layer will be the SF mix, with white backing will provides more gain?

If the paint is applied correctly, the holes in the Fabric's weave will still exist. As such, light will still pass through. The underlying White surface will reclaim that loss.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #19 of 23 Old 09-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

If the paint is applied correctly, the holes in the Fabric's weave will still exist. As such, light will still pass through. The underlying White surface will reclaim that loss.

Great! 2 layers of white it is, how many coats/dusters required for a smooth surface on the spandex while not affect the AT properties of the spandex?
post #20 of 23 Old 09-16-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Great! 2 layers of white it is, how many coats/dusters required for a smooth surface on the spandex while not affect the AT properties of the spandex?

Let's get it right.

Top layer is White Spandex

Bottom layer is White Spandex

Top layer of White Spandex is painted "WITHOUT" the bottom layer of White Spandex behind it.

Dusters are applied from 16" away very rapidly (3' per second) with a minimum of 70% overlap.

The number of needed Dusters is unknown....this is Virgin Territory. But a good guess would be 5-6, with at least 1hour drying time between coats. Also, apply at least 2 very light Dusters to the opposite side.

It is my assumption that a reason for Spandex's exceptional AT properties is not just it's open weave characteristics, but also the lack of density of such fabric...especially when stretched.Applying a paint will undoubtedly stiffen the material to a degree, and add to it's overall weight and density. To this effect, the Dusters must be applied as very sparse coatings, with the Spandex already stretched.

WereWolf84, it's encouraging to see a member like yourself "Bite" on such experimentation. If you go forward with the realization that it is exactly that....a full size experiment, and keep your expectations in check while you also give it your best, most careful effort, your chances will be better than many...if not indeed most would give any credence to.

Good Luck ! ........and Get'ter dun!

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #21 of 23 Old 09-16-2012, 05:49 PM

Subscribed. This could be very promising. I have some concerns with adhesion to a flexible synthetic.
post #22 of 23 Old 09-18-2012, 08:00 PM

subscribed too, quite interested in how the AT properties hold up.
post #23 of 23 Old 10-10-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accelerate-life View Post

Instead of building a frame, check eBay for a "portable" Spandex screen. It hangs from hooks on the ceiling and can be put up or taken down in 30 seconds - no need for an empty wall. It's a complete "kit" for $70. Nice picture too.

Dude, you've already posted this in 3 separate threads. Free advertising?

While it looks decent as a portable (on the go) projection screen (like an outdoor event, party, etc.). Something like this has absolutely no place in a dedicated media/home theater room.

Good luck, and enjoy your screen.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page