From Silverfire 2.0 to Spandex - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-05-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey guys,

I've sprayed several Silverfire 2.0 on several screens now and at home am quite happy with my Mits HC3800.

However, I am looking to have a larger screen and put my speakers behind it. From reading it seems like a lot of people are going the spandex way. I had a few questions about it.

1. First and foremost, am I going to be disappointed in terms of image quality going from SF2.0 to a Spandex screen (White over Silver)?
2. Will there be a big drop in brightness going from 100in Silverfire 2.0 to a 130 / 140in spandex screen? Obviously there will be some as it is bigger.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-10-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping this. Would like to get this started over the weekend!

Thanks everyone!
post #3 of 13 Old 09-10-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
The brightness dropoff will be significant. Calculator says 100" gives you 16.5 ftL on low. Going up to 130" brings you down to 9.9 ftL, and 140" gives you 8.5". Then you have to factor in the drop due to the gain of the SF (not sure what it is) being more than the spandex.

So you could be looking at half the brightness you are getting now, or even less. For comparison, on your 100" screen, going from high lamp to low lamp is only a brightness difference of 23% or so.
post #4 of 13 Old 09-11-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
cuttard has it nailed. You'd experience an extreme drop in brightness, even with the White Spandex. Such a size increase would only be possible if you eventually upgrade your PJ to one with a significant increase in lumens. It a totally dark room, you'd get a viewable image, so it's not all doom and...dare it be said...gloom. But coming from a SF screen of 100" to a 140"er will be enough of a difference in brightness even under ideal conditions that you will be almost certainly disappointed in the los of image dynamics.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #5 of 13 Old 09-11-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Great thank you both for your answer.

If I kept the screen size the same what sort of quality differences would I see between SF2 and Spandex?

I'd like to put my speakers behind the screen and it sounds like spandex would be my best option for that.

Thanks,

Ti
post #6 of 13 Old 09-11-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Having said what I said, I went from a 106" Parkland screen (1.0 gain) to a 10.5' wide 2.35 screen (equivalent of a 2.35 movie on a 142" 16:9 screen) on blackout cloth (at most .9 gain) and while I would like more brightness, 90% of the time I am still delighted with the picture.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-11-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

Having said what I said, I went from a 106" Parkland screen (1.0 gain) to a 10.5' wide 2.35 screen (equivalent of a 2.35 movie on a 142" 16:9 screen) on blackout cloth (at most .9 gain) and while I would like more brightness, 90% of the time I am still delighted with the picture.

I hope you find / decide on the coating of your choice soon. The most important thing for anyone to achieve IMO is the absolute best performance they can get under their given circumstance.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #8 of 13 Old 09-11-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

I hope you find / decide on the coating of your choice soon. The most important thing for anyone to achieve IMO is the absolute best performance they can get under their given circumstance.

MM

What sort of difference can I expect to see between the SF2 and a Spandex screen (white over silver, silver over white) at the same screen size?

Thanks!
post #9 of 13 Old 09-11-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! Me too. I'm still waiting on Memphisland to post his RS-MM-LL vs BOC pics and Harpmaker on HTS to post BOC vs C&S pics.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-12-2012, 03:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsl1 View Post

MM
What sort of difference can I expect to see between the SF2 and a Spandex screen (white over silver, silver over white) at the same screen size?
Thanks!

At any chosen screen size SFv2.5 2.0 would provide better Black levels at a much higher gain level (1.2 vs .90 / 1.0 ) than either Spandex choice.
Also, ambient light performance would be far better. When screen size drops, SF performance increases proportionately at a greater rate than would Spandex, however the performance gains Spandex achieves when used at smaller sizes with lower lumen PJs would also make it fall well into a much more acceptable range.

The primary advantaged inherent in Spandex are:

1. No painting
2.Lightweight and easily stretched upon a Frame
3. Acoustically transparent if Speaker placement behind screen is desired. Testing has shown Spandex to be equal or superior to far more expensive and difficult to install Mfg AT material or Mfg AT Screens

The latter two points in No#3 are perhaps the singular most important aspects of Spandex use considered by those who need acoustically transparent screens

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #11 of 13 Old 11-26-2012, 07:31 AM

Liked: 10
So did you go with the spandex route? If so, what was your result compared to SF? I'm very curious as I've just ordered a MitsHC4000 and am going spandex.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-26-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by f8shm8 View Post

So did you go with the spandex route? If so, what was your result compared to SF? I'm very curious as I've just ordered a MitsHC4000 and am going spandex.

I did order the Spandex. I got the Moleskin Gray and White. However, I haven't installed it yet. I also upgraded projectors to the Benq W7000. Hoping to get it finished in the next week or two.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-27-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

At any chosen screen size SFv2.5 2.0 would provide better Black levels at a much higher gain level (1.2 vs .90 / 1.0 ) than either Spandex choice.Also, ambient light performance would be far better. When screen size drops, SF performance increases proportionately at a greater rate than would Spandex, however the performance gains Spandex achieves when used at smaller sizes with lower lumen PJs would also make it fall well into a much more acceptable range.
The primary advantaged inherent in Spandex are:
1. No painting
2.Lightweight and easily stretched upon a Frame
3. Acoustically transparent if Speaker placement behind screen is desired. Testing has shown Spandex to be equal or superior to far more expensive and difficult to install Mfg AT material or Mfg AT Screens
The latter two points in No#3 are perhaps the singular most important aspects of Spandex use considered by those who need acoustically transparent screens

Could you send a link to where the gain measurements are at?
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page