My spandex screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 09-06-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought an optoma hd20 and have just been projecting the picture onto my living room wall for until I decided what I wanted to build for a screen. At first I was planning on doing a screen with sintra foam board and panting it but I figured I would give the spandex a try. I built a 126" diagonal 16:9 aspect screen. I made the frame out of 3"x3/4" mdf preprimed molding from home depot. Used aluminum angle brackets to attach them together. Then attached the frame to a 2"x4" and used some dowels to hold it onto my mantle above my fireplace. I live in San Diego so haven't used my fireplace and don't really intend to but if I decide to the screen is easily removeable. Anyway I used 2 yards of each matte white and moleskin matte silver. I used the silver over the white. 2 yards was just enough to do this size of screen. It was a pretty good pull to stretch the fabric the length of the screen but not overly tough. All and all I am very happy with the spandex. Ambient light performance is quite a bit better than a white wall. The blacks are much better as well. I painted my living room in between building the frame and wrapping it as well not exactly colors that are great for controlling light. The walls are green apple green and the ceiling its a reddish orange. Here are a few screenshots from the movie Sunshine as well. Sorry for the lopsided photos. I put my camera on a tripod and didn't realize it was crooked.

IMAG0715.jpg

IMAG0734.jpg

mini-DSC03591.jpg

mini-DSC03594.jpg

mini-DSC03595.jpg

mini-DSC03596.jpg

mini-DSC03597.jpg

mini-DSC03598.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Nice job.

What did you use to hold the spandex in the back? Stapled it to the frame?
post #3 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Yep alot of staples.
post #4 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 07:22 AM

Liked: 11
I would really recommend using the screen tight stuff with spline from Lowes. I just put together a screen last night and with this you can easily remove the screen without damaging so you can wash it or adjust if needed. It works really well and hold it tight consistently around the entire screen.
post #5 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post

I would really recommend using the screen tight stuff with spline from Lowes. I just put together a screen last night and with this you can easily remove the screen without damaging so you can wash it or adjust if needed. It works really well and hold it tight consistently around the entire screen.
\

It's a little late for me now. I wish I woulda seen that stuff before.
post #6 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post

Is this the product?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_21984-958-BULKSPLINE_0__?Ntt=screen+tight+spline&productId=3025035&rpp=48
post #7 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 10:08 AM

smokarz I am pretty sure that is it, I have a bucket like that. I bought mine from another forum member who happens to live in my neighborhood. It is 300', I just couldn't remember the size (ex. .175") but that is spline made by Screen Tight for their product so pretty sure that's what you need. That stuff works great like I said.

zwc0442, I didn't want to staple so I looked around for a while before I found other forum members using Screen Tight solution. If you decide to build another frame or redo you can always go that route. The 8' pieces are less than $4 and the spline is $14 so it's not a big cost to use it later if you decide.

What I like is that I tried white spandex behind gray, and now I can switch them around without having to deal with staples...
post #8 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

So, for a 110" screen, how many yards of spandex do I ned? 3 yards (108 inches)?
post #9 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

Thanks.
So, for a 110" screen, how many yards of spandex do I ned? 3 yards (108 inches)?

My screen is 110"x62" 16:9 ratio and I managed to get by with 2 yards of each material. It really stretches quite far. They also shipped my fabric in a box so it was folded up and had some pretty bad creases in the fabric that I wasn't able to completely iron out. So stretching it as much as I did helped those disappear too. If you don't have someone to help you stretch and hold it I would definitely get 3 yards as it is difficult to stretch it even by yourself.
post #10 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 11:30 AM

My final screen size hasn't been defined because I haven't put the black velvet boarder around it yet but I bought 3 yards and have it stretched around a frame that is 100.5" x 58.5". That works well but I personally would go less than 3 yards for that, it does stretch pretty far but three yards works great.
post #11 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

2 yards is 72 inches. And you're covering a 110" length?

That's a lot of stretching. More than 30 inches? Aren't you concern with visual quality? Strechted too much, you open up the holes and too much light bleeding through?
post #12 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 12:12 PM

Well my three yards wasn't any where near 106" wide. It was actually about 70-72" x 60". And yes I stretched mine around the 101.5" frame plus about another 3" on the backside to where the Screen Tight was mounted. It does stretch a lot! Once you stretch it out you will see how it looks, and there are not holes. Also you should be backing it with another layer of spandex so that light doesn't go through.

After installing the white backing layer I placed the gray layer over one half of the screen. The while side that was over the outside boarder was much whiter than the white side with no backing. The gray side was all completely backed by the white so it was uniform. There are other threads about spandex installations and the common practice is to have a backing layer, either black out cloth or white spandex.
post #13 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Stretching as far as I did didn't seem to affect the weave or pattern at all. It is a very heavy fabric. I can look at the back of the screen and see the image almost as clear as looking at the front of the screen but there is very little actual light making it through to the wall behind it.
post #14 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. That's good to know.

Also, is your backing layer directly underneath the screen material?

Or is your backing in the back of the frame? So assuming you're using 1x4 poplar, there's a one inch (or 3/4") gap between the screen (silver) and the white backing?
post #15 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

Thanks guys. That's good to know.
Also, is your backing layer directly underneath the screen material?
Or is your backing in the back of the frame? So assuming you're using 1x4 poplar, there's a one inch (or 3/4") gap between the screen (silver) and the white backing?

My backing layer is directly under the main layer.
post #16 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 07:20 PM

Mine is the same, white mounted to the frame and the silver mounted directly on top of the white.

smokarz , that is the same spline I have for my Screen Tight system.
post #17 of 30 Old 09-09-2012, 08:34 AM

Liked: 12
So if i'm going for a 260 cm (102 inch) wide screen, then 3 yards must be more than enough i guess? Since 3 yards is 108 inch, and i guess the fabric is measured unstretched when its cut to order?

Sorry for all my questions, but i just wanna be certain before ordering, so i don't order a too short fabric!
post #18 of 30 Old 09-09-2012, 09:05 AM

I ordered 3 yards of each white and gray, my screen is 101" wide, so it works fine. It is NOT 108" of fabric though, I believe it is measured as square yards but I could be mistaken. I remember doing a quick measurement and it was about 60" x 70". The spandex is very stretchable so don't worry. I saw a 126" (diagonal 16:9) screen made wit the same amount of fabric. I think it's actually better that it is being stretched that far because it makes the screen nice and flat with NO ripples. Just order the 3 yards of each and you will be fine.
post #19 of 30 Old 09-10-2012, 07:49 AM

Nice screen. Couple questions.

1.The supports in the middle cannot be seen at all?

2.How would you rate the acoustic transparency of this screen if the speakers were in back of it? Im looking to do something very similair but with in walls behind the screen.
post #20 of 30 Old 09-10-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypuck25 View Post

Nice screen. Couple questions.
1.The supports in the middle cannot be seen at all?
2.How would you rate the acoustic transparency of this screen if the speakers were in back of it? Im looking to do something very similair but with in walls behind the screen.

I cannot see them at all. When I attached them to the frame I spaced them back with one washer behind the bracket to be sure they would not be protruding from the front of the frame in anyway. I set my speakers behind the screen yesterday but just bought a new receiver and haven't finished setting everything up yet but I listened to some music just on the front 3 channels and it didn't seem to affect the sound in anyway that I could tell. There are a few threads in this section where others have used spandex with the speakers behind the screen and from what I have read spandex is just as acoustically transparent as the high dollar screen material designed for for this type of application.
post #21 of 30 Old 09-10-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwc0442 View Post

There are a few threads in this section where others have used spandex with the speakers behind the screen and from what I have read spandex is just as acoustically transparent as the high dollar screen material designed for for this type of application.

Even better in almost every respect...which has to be a bit galling for those who have spent the big bucks.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #22 of 30 Old 09-10-2012, 10:14 AM

One more question smile.gif

The Moleskin silver, is that more light grey than silver? Why i'm asking is because i'm trying to find som four-way stretch fabric closer to me (Sweden), since the shipping cost from Spandex World was very high (it's quite i drive smile.gif ). It's still a OK price, but if i could find something or the same closer to me it would be great!

So i've found a place here in sweden that sells light grey and white four way stretch fabric. I'll order some samples. When i look at the Moleskin Silver it looks quite grey smile.gif I know the Moleskin is very thick, don't know how this is though ...

A guess you can't understand the text but here is a link to the fabric i've been looking at:

Light grey
http://www.stoffochstil.se/Katalog/Mode.aspx?group_id=4822&articleid=29587
post #23 of 30 Old 09-10-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

I don't think you can effectively compare the product you linked to to the Silver Moleskin, and in any case, no one on this side of the Pond could make any definitive judgement based on what is provided. Of course, you can always try...experimentation is at the root of everything DIY'ing is all about. But sometimes it's really nice to just up and "Get'ter Dun" right the first time out by following known examples to the letter.

Quite often people ask for such input, and unfortunately the answers they receive are just too vague...or worse, misleading. That's not how we roll on this Forum, because your end results are directly tied to the advice and help you get. You fail...we fail...and take a lion's share of the blame. frown.gif

As such....to help you out, I suggest this.

Purchase the Spandex from the suggested source, have it shipped inexpensively to a AVS Forum member who might be willing to then re-ship it via USPS International Priority "Flat Rate" Mail. (...now who might that be...? wink.gif ) I can assure you that the cost of both shipping charges together will be much less than the Courier-based shipping charges you would have to pay otherwise..

Jag gläder mig att hjälpa dig ut om du beslutar sig att ta upp mitt förslag.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #24 of 30 Old 09-10-2012, 10:48 AM

Is there a Nobel prize for kindness? And if so what year did you recieve it smile.gif

I'll contact you through the forum PM!

Your swedish is very good wink.gif
post #25 of 30 Old 09-10-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwc0442 View Post

I cannot see them at all. When I attached them to the frame I spaced them back with one washer behind the bracket to be sure they would not be protruding from the front of the frame in anyway. I set my speakers behind the screen yesterday but just bought a new receiver and haven't finished setting everything up yet but I listened to some music just on the front 3 channels and it didn't seem to affect the sound in anyway that I could tell. There are a few threads in this section where others have used spandex with the speakers behind the screen and from what I have read spandex is just as acoustically transparent as the high dollar screen material designed for for this type of application.

Great to hear. What a bargain this stuff is compared to a store bought AT screen. Cant wait to build mine.
post #26 of 30 Old 09-11-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

I don't think you can effectively compare the product you linked to to the Silver Moleskin, and in any case, no one on this side of the Pond could make any definitive judgement based on what is provided. Of course, you can always try...experimentation is at the root of everything DIY'ing is all about. But sometimes it's really nice to just up and "Get'ter Dun" right the first time out by following known examples to the letter.
Quite often people ask for such input, and unfortunately the answers they receive are just too vague...or worse, misleading. That's not how we roll on this Forum, because your end results are directly tied to the advice and help you get. You fail...we fail...and take a lion's share of the blame. frown.gif
As such....to help you out, I suggest this.
Purchase the Spandex from the suggested source, have it shipped inexpensively to a AVS Forum member who might be willing to then re-ship it via USPS International Priority "Flat Rate" Mail. (...now who might that be...? wink.gif ) I can assure you that the cost of both shipping charges together will be much less than the Courier-based shipping charges you would have to pay otherwise..
Jag gläder mig att hjälpa dig ut om du beslutar sig att ta upp mitt förslag.

I just got an answer from Spandex World that it's possible to buy from their showroom in New York, and since my friend is going there next week on business i'll try to get him to swallow his pride biggrin.gif and take a trip to Spandex World to get me some fabric!
post #27 of 30 Old 09-12-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofer View Post

I just got an answer from Spandex World that it's possible to buy from their showroom in New York, and since my friend is going there next week on business i'll try to get him to swallow his pride biggrin.gif and take a trip to Spandex World to get me some fabric!

Have him pick up a little extra in Florescent Pink. I hear tell that tall Swedish Blondes look stunning in Pink Spandex. cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #28 of 30 Old 09-18-2012, 07:03 AM

Another question! Would a Sony VPL-HW30ES give enough light on a grey/silver Spandex screen if the screen is about 113" 16:9?
Thinking about either the Sony 30ES, Panasonic or Epson 9000
post #29 of 30 Old 09-18-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofer View Post

Another question! Would a Sony VPL-HW30ES give enough light on a grey/silver Spandex screen if the screen is about 113" 16:9?
Thinking about either the Sony 30ES, Panasonic or Epson 9000

The Sony is on the bottom of the heap as far as Brightness goes, and by a substantial margin. The Panasonic is about on par with the Sony at the middle of the suggested Throw distance, however the Panny moves ahead by head & shoulders when the Throw is reduced.

The Epson 9000 beats them both at mid-throw and is all but tied with the Panny at the shorter Throw distances

Much does have to do with your desired / required Throw distance. If it "must be" at mid-throw (15') then the Epson is a full 4 fls higher than the Sony. At 12' its almost 10 fls brighter !

The Panny comes in right along side the Sony at mid-throw (15') at just 1 fl brighter but actually passes the Epson at the shortest Throw distance (11' 7" = 28 fls)

The deciding factors are both brightness and contrast. The Panny wins hands down as far as contrast with it's 500K:1 specification, and that difference is what tells the tale at the shorter Throw.

My choice personally would be the Panny if sheer performance as relates to the application (Spandex) is the primary consideration. (...and if cost is not a factor...)

If Cost and Service / Warranty considerations are taken into account, then the Epson nudges ahead in the race.

The Sony? Well it's a shame that the SXRD panels also mitigate brightness, for the smoother the projected image, the better it will always appear on a Cloth substrate. And it's Contrast is by far the lowest of all three...also a shame.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #30 of 30 Old 09-18-2012, 11:42 AM

Thanks! I will probably have the projector at the shortest possible distance to the screen. Pricewise the two Panasonic PT-AE7000 & the Epson 5010 are about the same here in Sweden. I'm leaning towards the 5010 since it's brighter and better looking smile.gif

Thanks again for all your advice!!
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page