Those who have them in use: 1x3 or 1x4? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-08-2012, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I'm getting ready to tackle building another screen for my 2.35 venture. My last one was out of doable board, so it was a little different process.

This time I'm going with a Centerstage XD screen. My screen dimensions are 105 x 45 and I'm waffling back and forth between frame size. I sorted through lumber for 45 minutes at HD until I finally found some straight sticks. The 1x4's were more warped than the 1x3's I found. I can't remember what wood they are (it wasn't poplar but very similar in rigidity).

Based on the fact that the material will be stapled to the backside I can't do a center brace. I will employ a french cleat system however (probably on top and bottom), and I would think that would stiffen up the framing significantly? I guess I could add a couple braces off center after I attach the screen material but would prefer not to.

1) Do you think the 1x3's will be strong enough to resist bowing over time?

2) Aesthetically, do you think the 1x3's will look good? With TV bezels getting thinner and thinner I kind of like the look of the narrower frames, but am not 100% sold. My screen wall is all going to be wrapped in Devore black velvet. I started with GOM, but didn't like the look of it. I figured this would negate the difference in frame size as it would blend in more to the background.

Thanks

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-11-2012, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I don't think that either the 1x3 or 1x4 frame will be OK without bracing for the size screen you are talking about. You could brace behind the screen if you don't mind "floating" the screen a little out from the wall. I built a 111X47" screen with 1x3 poplar and L braces on the corners with a single brace in the middle and it worked well with a spandex screen stretched over it, but I wrapped it over the front of the frame. If you are attaching to the back of the frame you could add a single brace behind the screen attached to the frame but , as I said, that will cause it to extend from the wall by the thickness of the brace.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-13-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I've been debating this. I think what I'm going to do is attach some aluminum angle iron to the back side spaced off the back with a couple washers. It wont really affect screen spacing as they'll sit inside a couple vertical 2x4's that are part of my false wall. I'll use the angle iron to attach to each vertical board. That should serve to prevent twisting and sagging as well as an attachment point for the screen.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #4 of 4 Old 09-14-2012, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Since you are building a false wall what you are planning should work fine. I was planning to do a false wall also, but my wife nixed the idea partway into the build. My only concern was torsional twisting from corner to corner.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page