Drapery Fabric as a screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-09-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have decided to redo my DIY screen this weekend. I found something that I had not read about yet. If this suggestion has already been discussed, I apologise for the duplicate post.

I tried painting it with the white Pro Classic enamel paint from Sherwin Williams. It was getting very good reviews on this site as well as other sites. It actually looked very good. The problem was that my wallboard had a seams showing. The seams were not as obvious when I was using the flat grey paint for the last few years. The reflective white paint really made it stick out however

I decided to try something else. I took the Sherwin Williams paint chip to the local Hobby Lobby. I found some fabric that I believe works exceptionally well. It is called Roc-Lon drapery fabric. It is used inside of drapes and has a vinyl like texture. The white is very close to the Pro-classic paint.

I built a 9 foot by 5 foot frame out of 2 x 2's. I then stapled the fabric to the frame. I put the staples in the outside edge so they would not show The fabric has some stretch ability, so I was able to pull it quite tight to avoid wrinkles. Since it is a vinyl material, it also does not show threads like many fabrics do. I put the newly built screen on top of the painted area to compare it to the Pro Classic paint. I was very happy with the result. The picture was much brighter than the flat grey I had been using. That made for a brighter image. It was not so bright however that it reflected too much light. In my opinion was comparable to the Pro-classic.

The fabric cost me $12.00 using a 40 % off coupon. Toss in the 2 x 2's and some angle brackets for the corners. The whole screen cost under $20.00 and took only about two hours to put together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-09-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Correction. Since the fabric comes in 54 inch with sizes, I built a 4 1/2 foot x 9 foot frame. Not the 9 x 5 that I had mentioned. I bought three and a half yards of the fabric. That gave me plently extra on each side. It was tight from top to bottom, but it did hold well.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-09-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
This is something different from Roc-Lon budget blackout cloth? How does the brightness compare to the Sherwin-Williams?
post #4 of 5 Old 09-09-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

It is the same as the blackout cloth. I put the white to the outside and stretched it enough to take out any wrinklles and make a tight screen. I started stapling in the center on the long top and bottom of the screen edge. I then pulled it tight as I went in both directions from the center of the top and bottom sections of the frame. It has a slight satin texture so gave some brightness to the picture. The Sherwin Williams was slightly brighter however. This was a very good alternative and was easier than redoing the seams on the drywall.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-10-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Actually it "IS" Blackout Cloth, but just as often referred to by Fabric Store personnel and Mfg as "Drapery Liner" because the latter does seem a more refined description.

GS....,

To reclaim the degree of brightness lost with the BOC / DL, the next step would be to spray the newer screen with the SW-PCE.

You should be advised that the BOC is at best .85 - .90 gain while the SW paint properly applied will result in a gain of minimally 1.2

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page