Screen Help For My 8200 Pro...Paint, Spandex? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-10-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I recently replaced my IN76 that blew on me with the Viewsonic 8200Pro. I love the projector but I'm having issues when watching movies, dark scenes look horrible.
My dedicated room is light controlled so I can have none to full lights if I want. My pj is about 23ft from the "sceen", the room is 25'L x 15'W with a black ceiling and side walls.

I really want a screen research AT screen but it's extremely expensive for that large of a screen....I don't know to much about the "spandex" screens I have seen peeps on here using....

Sooo, what kind/color of paint can I treat the wall with first...also is spandex even a possibility for my situation

The wall is currently just drywall that has been completely mudded and sanded flat, no paint applied at all yet.

TV looks awesome, but movies (usually 720p BDrip streamed using Xbox360) the shadow detail in dark scenes is really bad....I have tried several different settings/adjustments to the color/brightness etc...I believe the screen is what needs work.

Please help all, thanks !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-10-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
wow.

At 23' throw the smallest possible image you can get out of the 8200 is 148" diagonal (72" x 129") This must be the size your dealing with...yes? I see no other possibility.

S-I-L-V-E-R is your best / only hope, as the silver content will effectively boost your Black levels without attenuating your foot lambert level. With S-I-L-V-E-R you'd get approx 16 fls on that 12'+ screen

Lighting will be an issue for you to deal with...you'll have to keep "ALL" directed light off the screen, and minimize ambient light to respectably sane levels.

As far as substrate....you'll either have to get a Level 5 finish on the Drywall (...not easy but no real challenge...) and effect a bright white "sprayed" priming before spraying the finish paint on with a HVLP Gun...., which BTW would also be absolutely mandatory.

What I can assure you of however is that you issue about poor Black Level reproduction will be solved. Period. And frankly speaking...the cost of the inexpensive HVLP Gun everyone is adopting for spraying screens, the Plastic for masking...the paints....even the cost of having a Pro come in and make that wall perfect for the application will be at least 10 x less expensive than any remotely comparable Mfg Screen.

..............which I feel in any event you'd be hard pressed to even find such a Mfg screen with the needed gain AND the ability to maintain / improve Black levels without grossly affecting other elements of the image.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #3 of 8 Old 09-10-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the advice....would the post above be by the formally known "mud man" ? I can say that I did what a level 5 finish calls for on the drywall (the wall was finished and textured already...what I did was sand it and applied mud, sanded... rinse and repeat 2x)....now can you point me in the right direction for specifics to do what you suggested w/ the SILVER...I already have a couple paint guns/pumps so I'm G2G in that department....I'm pretty much a DIY'r so between myself and in-laws, have tools coming outa my ears :-)

And yes sir, you are correct...the image is approx 160in diag give or take for 16:9

Also....is there any kind of SILVER spandex that could be used....prob would prob be getting ONE piece that size...
post #4 of 8 Old 09-11-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Here's "Mud" in your eye. tongue.gif

First...forget Spandex. You do not have the lumen output to use any surface that is at / below 1.0 gain.

S-I-L-V-E-R is a simple Mix, that consists of 90% Behr Faux Glaze to 10% (max) Liquitex Silver Metallic

ie; 1 gallon of Behr Faux Glaze + 12 oz Silver Metallic mix up 2 separate mixes 1/2 Gallon of FG & 6 oz Silver Metallic oe mix it all in a 2 Gallon container.

You'll need at least 3/4 or a bit more of that amount to accommodate the 8-9 Duster Coats required.

Here is a link to a dedicated Thread on a 225" S-I-L-V-E-R Drywall screen:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/854134/the-really-big-picture-show

...and the follow-up thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1159573/the-really-big-picture-show-revisited-a-s-i-l-v-e-r-solution

Now on to spraying...............eek.gif

The paint is applied in a very rapid but even manner in parallel rows, and from a distance from the paint'able surface of 14", each row overlapping the preceding row by at least 60-70%

The mix absolutely must be diluted with an additional 20% distilled or filtered water that is thoroughly mixed in using an efficient "Turbine Type" Drill powered mixer (on low speed) called a "Squirrel Mixer"
http://www.amazon.com/Homax-69011-1-Gallon-PolyPro-Galvanized/dp/B000ELORFE

After mixing, the paint must be filtered using a 1 Gallon "Nylon Sock-style" strainer..... http://www.tools2parts.com/Trimaco-11522-p/3655-6926.htm?gdftrk=gdfV21593_a_7c1384_a_7c4726_a_7c3655_d_6926
These can usually be found at Home Depot or Lowes, though strangely enough I have never found them at dedicated paint stores. In any case, you have a link to a source whose price w/free shipping makes it a easy acquisition.

I'd like to pass muster on specifically what type HVLP Guns you own, and if they are Compressor driven, what the Tank capacity is. Also to know if you have Water / Rust Filtration. Capacity and the subsequent ability to maintain a constant pressure level "AT ALL TIMES" over a span of 4minutes...which is about how long the Gun's trigger will be depressed when spraying onto as large a surface as your contemplating.

It is an actual fact that even with my own 32 Gallon Tank, and Ingersoll Rand HVLP Gun...I could not have managed the above specified ability. I dare say, had not the Wagner control spray come into the "picture"...the "S-I-L-V-E-R picture" would not have come into being. The alternative to a conventional HVLP Gun has never come around less expensive than this:

http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Reconditioned-Graco-HV2900-Paint-Station/dp/B005QQ0AFS/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=A3J03QRTA3M2EO

..........well actually, within the related SF threads is a link to the same Gun @ $39.95 w/free shipping. Looking just now...I found it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRACO-HV2900-39-CFM-450W-HVLP-House-Paint-Spray-Station-Machine-System-Painter-/230791007590?forcev4exp=true#ht_4652wt_1140

Review the above links and make your due considerations known...and we'll proceed from there.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #5 of 8 Old 09-12-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

You are the man....Mississippi...thanks...let me review your post/info and I'll get started....also I can go 2 ways w/ spraying the paint...either w/ the airless Titan 440XC piston and airless pump/sprayer....or we have a 50+ Gal compressor which we have a couple spray guns etc for....
post #6 of 8 Old 09-12-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

The Needle Tips on those guns should be between 1.5 MM to no more than 2.0 MM and pressure at the gun set to 45 psi. That pressure MUST remain constant over the entire time the currant coating process is engaged.

I'd say the Titan would be the rig of choice.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #7 of 8 Old 09-13-2012, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

The Needle Tips on those guns should be between 1.5 MM to no more than 2.0 MM and pressure at the gun set to 45 psi. That pressure MUST remain constant over the entire time the currant coating process is engaged.
I'd say the Titan would be the rig of choice.

Yup...Titan is piston driven, airless....I can paint the whole side of a house without stopping...only thing that makes you stop is running out of paint ;-)

Also...what should I prime the wall with, and which color?
post #8 of 8 Old 09-13-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgond View Post

Yup...Titan is piston driven, airless....I can paint the whole side of a house without stopping...only thing that makes you stop is running out of paint ;-)
Also...what should I prime the wall with, and which color?

Zinsser 123 Water based Primer. 3 coats....lightly sand after 2nd Coat (White Primer)

Hey...here's treat. I found 16 oz of Behr Silver Metallic in storage...and still in good shape after .....................3 years.eek.gif
It was the original "Go To" variety before it was discontinued and the Delta CeramCoat took over....which in turn has been replaced by the Liqutex Silver.
The Behr variety is the same stuff my really BIG S-I-L-V-E-R screens were painted with. PM me if your

PM me if your interested.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page