Help understanding Silver Fire thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-15-2012, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Very new to the forums and DIY so apologies if this is a redundant thread.

I'd like to execute a painted screen using the mixtures provided in this thread. But unfortunately I am clueless when it comes to paint and the thread is confusing to a noobie like myself.

Firstly, is everything listed mixed together to create 1 one gallon bucket of paint? Or is used to create two separate paint mixtures; one for base coat and another for finishing coat?

I'm confused by the three different categories; color components, viscosity components, reflective base components.

Also why is the water amount listed in a range of 24-36 oz?

What would be the best paint mixture for my needs?

I have a room with full control of lighting.
PJ: Epson 8700 UB

*note: Ignore the canvas screen you see in the picture as it belongs to the previous house owner.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-15-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRado View Post

Hello,
Very new to the forums and DIY so apologies if this is a redundant thread.
I'd like to execute a painted screen using the mixtures provided in this thread. But unfortunately I am clueless when it comes to paint and the thread is confusing to a noobie like myself.
Firstly, is everything listed mixed together to create 1 one gallon bucket of paint? Or is used to create two separate paint mixtures; one for base coat and another for finishing coat?

After the separate Reflective Base & Viscosity base are made, they are mixed together. Then a prescribed amount of the Color Components is added in ounce increments. The more darker a screen is desired to be...the more "ounces' of colorant is added.

Also, as you can make note...as the darkness of the Mix increases, the ratio of Reflective elements also increase / change.
Quote:
I'm confused by the three different categories; color components, viscosity components, reflective base components.

Read what they consist of and that should clear things up.
Quote:
Also why is the water amount listed in a range of 24-36 oz?

Because varying factors can affect the viscosity of the final "Paint" mix, and enough water must be added to make the paint thin enough to effectively spray easily using the recommended Electric HVLP Guns. Read on...and note that the final correct viscosity is determined by how fast the completed thinned Mix strains through the mandatory Nylon 1 gallon "Sock" Filters.
Quote:
What would be the best paint mixture for my needs?
I have a room with full control of lighting.
PJ: Epson 8700 UB

You did not include screen size ad Throw distance info, but what with my knowing the PJ quite well, a Silver Fire v2.5 3.0 would be my suggested choice.

Quote:
*note: Ignore the canvas screen you see in the picture as it belongs to the previous house owner.
Thank you!

Gladly tongue.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 6 Old 09-16-2012, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Fantastic, thank you as always MississippiMan!
post #4 of 6 Old 09-16-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Alright so after spending 30 minutes analyzing and reading the silver fire thread again it still didn't make sense. I gave up, printed out the instructions and brought them with me to home depot thinking the paint person could explain it.

The man reviewed the color components section and said it made no sense to him either and he's been selling paint for 30 years.

So, can someone please break this down to make it idiot proof because now I'm just frustrated.

Mississippi man suggested I used sf 3.0 which btw I'm at a throw distance of 12'1" with a 91 " screen.

The viscosity and base components are mixed separately initially but are they mixed together after? Do I mix them or do the paint people mix them? O do apply one as a base coat and the other as a finishing coat. Blahhhh
post #5 of 6 Old 09-17-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Tx,

30 minutes, eh? smile.gif

I'm updating the thread below:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1311989/the-official-silver-fire-v-2-thread

..........with the sources (& links) to where the various items are obtained. (highlighted in Red)

Even though most who consider SF applications ask a considerable amount of questions before going out to source / purchase the required items, as well as overview current build threads for info coming from other member's experiences, I cannot fault your initial enthusiasm and "Get'ter Dun-ness' .

But ya gotta realize that there are important things that must be researched out and absorbed before you try to jump into a really good, advanced DIY project. Such things are neither hard nor insurmountable obstacles, but every one of 'em are essential to get'tin' it dun right the first time out.

A good example is your own frustration. I've seen Posters toss in the towel after even one trip out trying to source items that most everyone else knows are available only online or at specialty Craft Stores.

A huge point in your favor? At least your bothering to ask for help when stymied. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRado View Post

The viscosity and base components are mixed separately initially but are they mixed together after? Do I mix them or do the paint people mix them? O do apply one as a base coat and the other as a finishing coat. Blahhhh

Awwww...then you have to go and ruin it!

I answered those questions in my first response above. Read. Absorb. Read some more (30 minutes ain't a'gonna do it...)

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #6 of 6 Old 09-17-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Yay, I figured out the piece that confused us the most. We were attempting to convert the amount of color components in ML to what we need in OZ. However, the color component sections when added together creates 200ml or 6oz of paint. So in other words I would simply mix together the color components into one large batch and use a syringe to use only 3oz (in my case) of color.

Doh...
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page