Can a electric screen be painted with screen goo or black widow - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-17-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering can a electric screen be painted with screen goo or black widow to make the picture quality better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-17-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
No. I wouldn't recommend it. You might have issues with screen sticking together.

post #3 of 12 Old 09-17-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 250
smile.gif

Quite the opposite.....yes, a very great many Retractable Screens have been re-coated.

Any particular reason those applications come to mind?

PQ can be based on many things, and neither high cost Mfg Screen paints or DIY paints that are too purposefully based are not all that should be considered.

I noted that you tried posting over in Screens and did not get much of a helpful response. That stops here.

You have your answer, so tell us more about your overall circumstances / priorities and you'll get a unbiased recommendation.

Post Note:

You chased out a imminent project I had not yet started a Thread about;

It will be titled: "Painting Silver Fire v2.5 5.0 onto a 106" Tab Tensioned Screen.

See....how can you beat that for service ! wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Thursday Premiere: Plot: Get'ter Done in One Day

cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #4 of 12 Old 09-17-2012, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

thanks a lot mississippiman i was gonna buy a 120 inch screen and try to paint over it it to get the effect of a high cost screen but when you start the thread i would love to read it and thank again for the response
post #5 of 12 Old 09-18-2012, 04:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dking5679 View Post

thanks a lot mississippiman i was gonna buy a 120 inch screen and try to paint over it it to get the effect of a high cost screen but when you start the thread i would love to read it and thank again for the response

I'd suggest you consider this Screen:

http://www.htdepot.com/Focupix_TensionFlat_16_9_Electric_Screen_120_p/fxt169s-120.htm

A 120" screen needs to be as flat as possible for the best image, and retractable-s are not always so, or remain so over time. The screen linked to is a Tab tensioned Screen w/Matte White surface so it is good-to-go as far as painting. Tab tensioned Screens are usually among the most expensive of screens so you'll find this one is priced rightly. 3 year Warranty too.

The painting on of a High Performance DIY Paint Coating brings suggesting the use of this Mfg Screen in line with DIY idealism. When your ready to jump in, it's going to be the one to base your effort around.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #6 of 12 Old 09-19-2012, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

hey thanks a lot a may just get that one
post #7 of 12 Old 09-19-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Your welcome!

I'm planning to start on the project this evening after all the other workers leave, and keep on it until it's finished (...maybe an "All Nighter...) I will then cover the Screen with Plastic, and it will remain in a down position until I return from my "pre-tox" trip to Maui (Sept 22nd -Oct 1st) that I always take before dealing with a Home Show where I'm on my feet 10 hours a day for 20 days straight. frown.gif

Aloha, all ya all. tongue.gifbiggrin.gifcool.gif Surf is UP....Fish are waiting....and I'll be taking a course in "Beach Based String Theory" I'm sure.

I'm going to try to get a few screen shots of the Screen painted before I cover it....but there won't be a lot of time. The next AM (tomorrow) the Floor Finishers are sanding and coating the hardwood, so therein is the reason the Screen must be adequately protected after painting. As a rule, a painted Retractable should be left in a "down" position for a minimum of 72 hours to allow the paint to cure to a hardened state. This screen will have the better part of 6 days, so no worries there.

I don't paint retractable-s very often...but this case is special as the room is not a dedicated Theater....more of a upstairs "Media Room-Playroom", and the room has a 7' wide Window that faces south. So....I've arraigned for a Valance to be built out from the Wall above the window that the Screen casing hides behind, and the size Screen selected will effectively cover the Window opening. The Curtains can be drawn just behind the ends of the lowered Screen, and the bottom of the Screen will rest on the Window casing ledge.

As the Room is not "Dedicated", and I also feel Gaming will be a activity suited for the Room, I'm installing a Viewsonic PJD6683ws...a Short Throw WXGA DLP w/ 16,000:1 Contrast & 3000 lumens. Not exactly what I'd prefer, but pretty much exactly what is needed under the circumstances.

3' 10" throw (...you'd have to stand withing 2' of the Screen during Gaming to interrupt the projected beam...)
97 foot lambert of "off the Screen" brightness at 1.0 gain, which is about exactly what the SF v2.55.0 should work out to be.

Photos and a Movie or three will be taken...so steel yer wool ! eek.gif I'm hoping that the experience I provide will prove to be a definitive example for others to adjudge the worthiness of going ahead with such projects.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #8 of 12 Old 09-19-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

can u please post pics or a youtube video if u can
post #9 of 12 Old 09-19-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dking5679 View Post

can u please post pics or a youtube video if u can

Still shots and Videos will be posted as viewable links right here.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #10 of 12 Old 09-21-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

I got screwed. mad.gif

The Show Home that the Screen is in was closed to me all day yesterday because Floor Finishers were sanding the House-wide Wood Flooring. I arraigned to come in last night late 12:00 am to do my work. but the Floor people did not replace the KeyBox because they wanted to control traffic this AM (...no muddy shoes or dirt on freshly prepped floors rolleyes.gif ...) because they are to apply the Polyurethane Stain this AM. So I have been completely snookered. No traffic on the Floors until Monday. frown.gif And to make matters worse, I leave for Maui tomorrow at 6:30 AM and do not return until the afternoon of the 1st

There is a remote chance I can paint it on Oct. 2nd, just 3 days before the Show starts. In one manner that might avail me of the chance to show people how to cover and mask off a room with Furniture already in it. Seeing as there will also be Draperies to each side and behind the Screen...and a host of "Brand New Furniture" in there by then, one could say it's "Put up or Shut Up" time for MississippiMan. redface.gif

One thing is for certain...I do not relish the idea of exhibiting a 106" matte white Retractable screen in a room where the lights "must" be on (... Spot Bulbs at least...) so people can traipse through and past without stumbling about. Kinda makes the idea of going out Deep Sea Fishing far out to sea in the middle of the Pacific something that offers more than mere tension relief.

I wonder if "Bruce" is out there waiting for me to offer up some dinner?

That's grim. cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #11 of 12 Old 09-21-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Hey MMan,

Nothing you can do about it while you're gone... Might as well try to put it off your mind and enjoy the 75 degree weather. Happy fishing... don't forget the sunblock. smile.gif

Have a safe trip.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #12 of 12 Old 09-21-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

Hey MMan,
Nothing you can do about it while you're gone... Might as well try to put it off your mind and enjoy the 75 degree weather. Happy fishing... don't forget the sunblock. smile.gif
Have a safe trip.

Thanks! I have embraced that line of reasoning. And I do have the Killer SunBlock / Pest Repellent Combo in my bag. (Shark Repellant?eek.gif )

I'll have my 17.2" laptop w/me also, so you can expect me to still dabble in Forum over the next week. biggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section