Electric screen to Tab Tension conversion - with Silver Fire v2.5 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 88 Old 10-25-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So here's a little sample of my first silver fire paint job. Not to bad considering it was with an all plastic 1.8 needle gun. smile.gif More screen shots in the next couple of days.

Not the best picture, it's from a compact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 88 Old 10-26-2012, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

A couple of screen shots taken with my iphone of live movie. The projector is an Epson TW-980 on cinema2 mode (the most silent one).

post #63 of 88 Old 10-26-2012, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

The finished screen with some velcro I had lying around. How cool is a 70" screen in a 11 years old boys room? cool.gif

The dice is to protect the screen from the door handle. It will be replaced by a custom sound bar with right, left and center channels built into it
post #64 of 88 Old 10-26-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 215
cool to both screens!!!

I think dad will be the one enjoying the screen in the boys room more. rolleyes.gif

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #65 of 88 Old 10-26-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

You got it Leo. wink.gif

My son held a premiere opening to night of his home theater with to girls from his class. He chose "Paul" as the first movie and it seemed to hit home with his guests. Lots of laughter with coke and cheese doodles to set the mood.

After the movie the girls wanted the same theater setup in their own rooms. Of course I'll be happy to point their parents in the right direction and offer a helping hand. But for now we enjoy having his friends over for movie nights.
post #66 of 88 Old 10-29-2012, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

A couple of stills from The Fifth Element. One of my favorite movies. This is with a desk lamp turned on in the back of the room. The pictures are a lot darker than what it looks like in person.

post #67 of 88 Old 10-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Nice screenshots, what's the darkness of the SF that you sprayed for that screen? 3.0?
post #68 of 88 Old 10-29-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post

Nice screenshots, what's the darkness of the SF that you sprayed for that screen? 3.0?

I'm guessing 2.0 or 3.0 at most.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #69 of 88 Old 10-29-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Well I'm actually not quite sure myself. I had a "brain fart" while adding the Behr 1850 UPW Flat paint and ended up adding at least twice the prescribed amount. It was a certified Homer Simpson "DOH" moment with lots of smacking my hand against my forehead. I started out aiming for a 4.0 mix and did a quick calculation after my accidental fart and concluded that I was close to 2.0 with the extra Behr 1850 UPW Flat. I then added one more oz of colorant to the mix and believe I ended up close to a 2.5 shade.

All's well that ends well, my son is certainly pleased with the outcome and that's the most important factor in this side project.

Excellent eye there MM with your estimate between 2.0 and 3.0 judged from my poor quality pix. eek.gif
post #70 of 88 Old 10-29-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rengep View Post

Excellent eye there MM with your estimate between 2.0 and 3.0 judged from my poor quality pix. eek.gif

I've had a little bit of experience..... wink.gif

.....and a lot more in the fart dept. eek.gif

Beer....don't cha know......

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #71 of 88 Old 11-02-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so there has not been very much progress this week but still, here are some picks from my sons room while playing wii.

Also take note of the custom sound bar on the floor. It's fitted with two panny full range drivers in each channel and has three separate cable connectors, one for each channel. It also doubles as a door stopper to protect the screen from the door handle. Only took a few picks of the build but you get the idea how it was constructed. The drivers have neodymium magnets and sound great in his room.

Iphone with flash

The wii controller bar sits on top of the speaker beneath the screen.

No flash

Sound bar construction.

Three separate chambers with stiffeners and added dampening. The color will be white and I'll add a black speaker grill.
post #72 of 88 Old 11-03-2012, 01:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

That fuzzy picture hurts my head. tongue.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #73 of 88 Old 11-03-2012, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry about that. Sometimes the iphone gives a strangely close to past Saturday midnight view. biggrin.gif
post #74 of 88 Old 11-13-2012, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Not much have happened this last week but I did receive the earlex 3500 gun with a 1.5 mm needle and some paint supplies. Thanks MM for your help and time. To make the gun fit in my HVLP unit I had to do some small modifications to the adapter I had from a karcher vacuum. It's rubber so a Stanly knife did the job.

The earlex gun:

The rubber adapter after some ruff Stanly knifing:

The gun with the adapter fitted:

Now everything should be in place for me to start painting but...

Unfortunately while measuring up the screen for masking I noticed a slight curving of the top of the projected image. The screen it self is flat so this had to be an error in the newly acquired Epson EH-TW3500. The curving was about 6 mm. Luckily it's still under warranty and DHL is picking it up for service and are sending it to England this afternoon. It should be back sometime next week.

Leveling the screen and the projected image with laser:

Comparing to the top border center:

Top border left:

You can just about notice the start of the curving image on the right of the last picture. All photos were taken with my iphone so I apologize in advance for any offending quality. wink.gif
post #75 of 88 Old 03-05-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

This Screen build needs to get more press! Few have realized that the TS has accomplished what is a first in DIY Screen making. Home Brewed Tab Tensioning!

I'd like to see an update as well as some more (...and better...) screen shots.

Please...naturally.smile.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #76 of 88 Old 03-05-2013, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Thanks for the link. I may be trying this myself soon.
post #77 of 88 Old 03-05-2013, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

This Screen build needs to get more press! Few have realized that the TS has accomplished what is a first in DIY Screen making. Home Brewed Tab Tensioning!

I'd like to see an update as well as some more (...and better...) screen shots.

Please...naturally.smile.gif

Yes but of course, there will be some updates and some more pics in the near future. We are currently undergoing a major renovation of our house. Did some 660 square feet of tiling on my knees with my dad two weeks ago and did the grouting last weekend my self.

My body hurts all over eek.gif

If we were ment to crawl around on all four limbs I'll guess there's a tail missing biggrin.gif

Regarding the my Epson with the curved picture, it had to go two service rounds at epson service center in GB before I was satified. All expenses paid by Epson. In fact with all the repairs they ended up doing the projector is now brand new. Excellent customer care from Epson

And thanks for the kudos MM. wink.gif
post #78 of 88 Old 03-06-2013, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

I could not help my self and did a quick video of the screen.

Here you go:
post #79 of 88 Old 03-06-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Pretty darn cool, I say.

Being snowbound is obviously a great motivator toward gettin' supthin' dun. wink.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #80 of 88 Old 04-09-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

MM just another crazy idea. Have you tested or do you think a SF S-I-L-V-E-R combo would be doable? Was thinking of a SF-5 or 6 with 2-3 coats of S-I-L-V-E-R on top. Hoping for added gain and maintaining daylight benefits but see the potensial that the added coating could do more damage than good. rolleyes.gif
post #81 of 88 Old 04-09-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rengep View Post

MM just another crazy idea. Have you tested or do you think a SF S-I-L-V-E-R combo would be doable? Was thinking of a SF-5 or 6 with 2-3 coats of S-I-L-V-E-R on top. Hoping for added gain and maintaining daylight benefits but see the potential that the added coating could do more damage than good. rolleyes.gif

.......and it would, most likely doing the opposite by clouding the screen, and creating "speckling" because the concentration of pure Silver within the Glaze base would be too thin. It take at least 8 layers of S-I-L-V-E-R to obtain a dense enough coating that doesn't show "granularity"

To get more gain out of a darker SF, you need to increase the amount of Silver and Pearl....most notably the Pearl, and add a corresponding percentage of White.
rengep likes this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #82 of 88 Old 04-18-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Did some masking and painting of the boarder yesterday. Took my time and measured with laser leveler to get everything masked correctly. I then used carbon black acrylic diluted with water to get a deep matte boarder. Sprayed 4 coats and was happy with the outcome.

Some of the paint bled under the tape but nothing that the SF coating can't cover up. wink.gif

post #83 of 88 Old 04-19-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Finally done with the screen. I have gone a little to dark but I more than happy with the outcome. With normal daylight and curtains half closed the epson 3500 performs brilliantly on dynamic mode.

As expected the ripples on the uper right corner are more visible now. But not really noticeable during movies cool.gif

You have to remember that this started out as a freebee. Hope the project can inspire other DIY'ers and thanks for all the feedback and help. Special thanks to MM who helped with hardware and knowledge.
post #84 of 88 Old 10-22-2013, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

A small update for all you DIY'ers out there that are on the fence regarding an electric screen to tab tension conversion wink.gif.

I earlier did not recommend anybody to do this conversion do to the static condition of the material. It will not stretch, or so I thought.
I'm happy to report that 99,5% of the waves and wrincles are gone after almost a year of tension.

So go ahead an convert your none tensioned electric screen and good luck. biggrin.gif
post #85 of 88 Old 08-18-2014, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Love it! Great job on the build. Just a couple things I don't understand though. Why did you decide to cut off the ends of the bar and hinge them instead of attaching the string directly to the solid bar? And also did you just attach the top of the strings to the motorized roll with screws? Thanks for your hard work I'm planning on trying something similar on my living room setup.
post #86 of 88 Old 08-20-2014, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Hi frozen_hampster and thank you for kind words.

The ends of the bar acts as counter weights to always keep the screen stretched. With the string only fastened to the bar itself it would be very difficult to get the same tension on each side and keeping the tension while the screen is rolled up or down. With my setup the tension will remain constant regardless of the screens position.

Ref post 36 i drilled a hole on each side of the motorized roll, pre tapped and fastened the strings with flat bottom head screws. Sorry that I forgot to take pictures for this.

And one last modification I did was to exhange the sunglass hinges with hinges for flaps on modelplanes like these. A much better and stronger fit.
post #87 of 88 Old 08-20-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Great to hear from you again. After the lag in time, can you relate as to the viability, performance, and durability of the SF coating as well?

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #88 of 88 Old 08-20-2014, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Hello to you too fellow sprayer

Well truth be told the sparkliness in the mix was a little to much for my taste when watching movies. However for gaming it was superb. As for the durability there has been no issues or sign of wear what so ever. Another plus I must say has to be the superb viewing angle of the SF mix. Very handy for large crowds like my kids birthday parties. Lots of oohhs and aaahhs when they saw the screen for the first time.

My son has this screen now in his new room playing xbox with his mates. My daughter has the foil SF screen in her room watching barbie movies and some occasional wii gaming.

As for us grown ups we now enjoy a 123" screen on the wall made from the same fabric that is used for car foiling and commersial print on cars. It's white mate 01 and with walls and ceiling covered with black velour and full light control there was no need for my planned spraying of the foil. Applying the foil is a two persons job. Very happy with this setup and a great way to build a budget screen if your wall is totally even.

All the techniques I have learned from you are now being applied to walls when my wife calls for a superb finnish on drywall (witch is often) during soundproofing of our home. Thank you for all your help and input MM, it has been of great value to me and my friends.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page