Electric screen to Tab Tension conversion - with Silver Fire v2.5 - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 102 Old 10-29-2014, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks rengep for your information.
Until now I have doubts aboy to make SF or BW.
I'm going on to find my way to best option.

Regards
Carles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 102 Old 06-25-2015, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi People:

I know this is an old-ish thread but there are new motorized screens being bought everyday, the latest one being mine which is a 150" 16:9 non-tensioned screen.

Now contrary to what's out there, the screen i've got has very very minimal waves and infact once the projector shines, they're not to be noticed at all - even in pan shots. But i know the inevitable will happen, so am looking for some advice:

1- Since its a fairly large screen it almost extends width wise in the room with about 200mm on each side, that's less than a foot.
2- I don't want to do the extensive tab tensioning job that the OP has done because i've paid for this screen (lol) and really its not bad - so why fix it .. but i want to still tension it to get those ripples away and get it to not wave in the months to come ..
3- I was thinking, without disturbing the screen itself, what if i put elastic cord on the two side walls which pretty close to the screen's width edges .. and then once the screen is down, i put clips through the cord that then stretch and attach to the side of the screen - at equal positions on both sides - as the same order where the top and last clips extend more, middle ones less. Or i can use velcro tabs that attach to the screen's rim (i can put the smooth velcro adhesiveon the screen's rim, and attach the hooky side from the cord to tension it).
4- This should have an effect of the tab tensioning - just that its a manual process and does not roll away with the screen - once i un-clip it (or un-velcro it), the cord goes back to the wall and the screen can roll up.

Can anyone point out the pros n cons so i have a better idea and can think accordingly?
Thank you!
post #93 of 102 Old 06-25-2015, 10:21 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Pros:
  • You have a hopeful outlook. Do or Die can be and is a strong motivation for those with determination. FWIW

Cons:
  • It will look pretty clunky...almost "Medieval"
  • Tension'ing must applied to the "entire surface"...completely equally. Good luck with that.
  • Anything "Velco-y" applied to the front / rear of the Black Edging that stays "in place" might / will probably affect the smoothness of the Roll Up / Down transition.
  • Many others have tried such compensatory methods in lue of going "Tab Tensioned". I cannot say any have reported any real success. Do it right...or not at all.

Let us know your results.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions
post #94 of 102 Old 06-29-2015, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thank you.
I will start this project as a test this weekend - Like i said i don't want to spoil the original screen - don't wanna lose an inch! ha!

As for the clunkiness - i have a dozen ideas to make that look pretty will post back on some initial findings then.
post #95 of 102 Old 06-29-2015, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi bluemetal77 and thank you for taking an interest in my tab tension screen. First of the screen that you have and the one that I did convert are made of a static material that is not made for tensioning. Yes it did wonders on my damaged screen but I would not tamper with a new screen that I paid for with my hard earned money.

Second I'm afraid that attaching and detaching the tension will damage your screen as you need to start on one side and in the process pulling the screen in one direction. Unless you have a spare set of hands...

I also support MM's advice and can see the strain the velcro can have on the screen as it's going to be bulky on the sides when rolled up.

But the tinker in me will support you with an idea that you can try with a single elastic cord anchored top and bottom on the side walls. The cord could go through several pulleys or rings on the side walls and with the same pulleys or rings including clips on the screen. This would create a zigzag pattern were the clips would have equal tension. This is much like how one would fasten a cover on a trailer.

Good luck and good summer.
post #96 of 102 Old 01-12-2016, 02:03 AM
Weary Enthusiast

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
This thread gives me hope - I have a cheap AT screen with some annoying wrinkles (obvious during horizontal cross-screen motion & camera pans)... to get an AT tab-tensioned screen will cost 3x even from Elite. For the time-being, I'm living with it, but if/when I move up to a 4k Projector, I've vowed to take care of the wrinkles one way or another. So before I buy a new screen, I may be buying some fishing line!

I suppose I've got little to lose besides time, if I am willing to buy a new screen as a back-up plan.

WHATTHEDILEO
Some people LOVE MUSIC.
Some people LOVE the SOUND of music.
If you don't know the difference, then you LIKE MUSIC.
My slow-cooking 11.4 channel Theater Room quest
post #97 of 102 Old 01-12-2016, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Hi WHATTHEDILEO and thanks for taking an interest in my old thread. I'll guess that it might be worth a try to save your AT screen as it's probably more flexible than my screen is. Most roll up screens are made from materials that are static and not supposed to stretch or wrinkle.

You are most welcome to post updates of your progress in my thread but for your own benefit, you could start your own. I'll be happy to answere any questions what ever you choose.

Cheers
post #98 of 102 Old 02-04-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rengep View Post
Hi WHATTHEDILEO and thanks for taking an interest in my old thread. I'll guess that it might be worth a try to save your AT screen as it's probably more flexible than my screen is. Most roll up screens are made from materials that are static and not supposed to stretch or wrinkle.

You are most welcome to post updates of your progress in my thread but for your own benefit, you could start your own. I'll be happy to answere any questions what ever you choose.

Cheers
I'm new to projector/screen things and have noob question. Can any screen fabric be painted. I just ordered 110" tension Vapex screen Cinema Matte White and think about painting it after testing with Sony HW40. What kind of Silver Fire is recommended? My room is 14 x 20, light controlled. Walls - somewhere in the middle dark greenish beige, ceiling is Dover white (Sherwin Williams) little darker then white white.
post #99 of 102 Old 02-04-2016, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 50
just about... ...as long as it's not one of those dinosaur beaded screens.
post #100 of 102 Old 02-04-2016, 09:11 AM

I just ordered it. This one: VApex Electric Tensioned Projector Screen VAPEX9106TN
http://www.visualapex.com/Projector-...er=VAPEX9106TN
post #101 of 102 Old 03-16-2016, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

@ us2000ua what are your intended use of the room? Is it going to multipurpose or a dedicated theater?

The main benefit of SF is it's ability to produce a good image under challenging light conditions. You wrote that your room is light controlled and that the walls are middle dark with light ceiling. If you do nothing with the color on the walls and ceiling, SF will give you more vibrant colors and deeper blacks than a white screen. This is because light from the screen being reflected back onto the screen from the bright ceiling tend to wash out some of the image quality on a white screen.

In a room with total light control. dark matte materials on walls and ceiling will do far more for the picture quality than any screen paint.

Also how keen are you on spraying your new screen? If you have experience, confidence and like spray painting go right ahead. Or if you are like me and like to learn new skills...

What ever you choose please post some photos of your room. Cheers
post #102 of 102 Old 04-18-2016, 08:38 AM

Liked: 0
Vapex9106tn

us2000ua

Now that you have had the VAPEX9106TN for a couple months .. What is your opinion of the screen and build quality. I have been considering purchasing as well but I can find
very few reviews that aren't several years old.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section